Magic, Drinks sold while in TX waters

Bimmie Girl

I have sailed on the Magic twice now, but for the life of me I can't remember if all the bars are open when you board the ship or not. I remember buying drinks, but don't remember the TX law concerning drink sale until in international waters. Does anyone know?

the reason I ask, is that a group of us are meeting on deck 10 aft around the bar area right after Muster drill. Is that bar on the port side, near the aft pool open for drink sale and if so, what drinks do they serve? if not where is the closes bar?

I have sailed on the Magic twice now, but for the life of me I can't remember if all the bars are open when you board the ship or not. I remember buying drinks, but don't remember the TX law concerning drink sale until in international waters. Does anyone know?

the reason I ask, is that a group of us are meeting on deck 10 aft around the bar area right after Muster drill. Is that bar on the port side, near the aft pool open for drink sale and if so, what drinks do they serve? if not where is the closes bar?

The bars are open, you just have to pay the state of Texas a few cents extra to drink. Just glad they don't have that no drinking before noon rules anymore. Paid a few fines in my younger days for opening a beer in Galveston at 11:59 am.

I remember a couple of years ago that you could not get any Miller products while in port in Texas but all the bars were open. Even the bar menus were different, they had a Lone Star on them and were limited. Once in international waters, Miller was available.

I remember a couple of years ago that you could not get any Miller products while in port in Texas but all the bars were open. Even the bar menus were different, they had a Lone Star on them and were limited. Once in international waters, Miller was available.

That's just so wrong, making people drink Lone Star beer :eek:

That's just so wrong, making people drink Lone Star beer :eek:

Hey now...no need to dis Lone Star!! It served me well on many occasions! Perfect for floating the Guadalupe before noon on a Sunday. Got plenty of those tickets myself!

Why would that be? Is Miller not sold in Texas for some reason?

Hey now...no need to dis Lone Star!! It served me well on many occasions! Perfect for floating the Guadalupe before noon on a Sunday. Got plenty of those tickets myself!

Lol lone Star served me well in my younger days, but my now days my beer palette is a little ( not much) more sophisticated :D

Texas has some really strange liquor laws. Some years ago I was in a restaurant and had about half my drink down. The waitress went by so I asked for another. She brought it before I finished the first one and she said she couldn't sit it on the table until I was done with the first drink. Couldn't have two drinks on the table for the same person. Weird.

Texas has some really strange liquor laws. Some years ago I was in a restaurant and had about half my drink down. The waitress went by so I asked for another. She brought it before I finished the first one and she said she couldn't sit it on the table until I was done with the first drink. Couldn't have two drinks on the table for the same person. Weird.

Don't think it's so much as the state as many counties and cities have their own little things they add on to it. I worked in a city where half the city was dry and the other half wasn't.

The booze sold while still in Texas waters has to have been purchased in Texas, so they purchase a limited amount of a few brands to get you out to international waters, where liquor from their original stock can be sold.

Poster isaiahsnana has it right. It isn't that Miller Lite (or any other brand of adult beverage) isn't available in Texas. It is because Carnival (and other cruise lines) are required to serve only alcohol that was purchased in Texas while in Texas waters. For this reason, they only stock a limited number of brands of the "Texas" hooch. So, for example, the bars may have Tanqueray and Beefeater available for gin, but not Bombay or Gordon's. This is just an example. I don't know what specific brands are available in Texas waters. I've never had an instance where what I wanted to drink wasn't available bacuse of this. YMMV. :rolleyes:

There is no additional tax on your purchase while in Texas waters - just regular Texas sales tax. I would guess that you're in Internation waters about an hour after the pilot departs.

Hope this helps.

We cruised on the Magic in March, upon boarding I noticed there were fewer bottles of liquor than I remembered. I also noticed they were serving beer in 12oz cans. Just so happened that they were undergoing a health inspection on this day also, and I thought this might be related, but it wasn't. When I asked a bartender later, he opened a cabinet marked "Texas", and showed me the bottles which had a tax stamp. He said they can only serve that liquor while in Port. Obviously Texas has some antiquated liquor laws.

You will know when you are in international waters when you see them put out all of the normal liquors and put up the bottles that have the Texas stamp.:D:D

We cruised on the Magic in March, upon boarding I noticed there were fewer bottles of liquor than I remembered. I also noticed they were serving beer in 12oz cans. Just so happened that they were undergoing a health inspection on this day also, and I thought this might be related, but it wasn't. When I asked a bartender later, he opened a cabinet marked "Texas", and showed me the bottles which had a tax stamp. He said they can only serve that liquor while in Port. Obviously Texas has some antiquated liquor laws.

You will know when you are in international waters when you see them put out all of the normal liquors and put up the bottles that have the Texas stamp.:D:D

Hence they are selling Lone Star beer, they can probably buy a pallet full for about $50':D

When we were on Freedom, we could only get 12oz cans of Miller Lite until we got further out. Then we were able to get the 16oz cans, which we prefer, since you can put the twist top on if you aren't drinking it down quickly. I just don't get it.