Capris in dining room?

RKD

I was once a part of the wedding party at a wedding taking place in New York (Long Island, but not Hamptonish Long Island). A bunch of us who were in the wedding party had never been to New York and wanted to do the tourist thing. We asked what the expected dress was for the rehearsal dinner, and were told, "Totally casual, just come as you are!" "Great!" we replied, because that would give us time to do the Statue of Liberty since we wouldn't have to change.

We discovered that "casual" doesn't mean the same thing in New York as it does out west. We got there and found the men in suits and women wearing cocktail dresses, and here we were in our t-shirts and jeans. A few people looked at us with disdain, but most found the humor in the clash of cultures.

I would not say that is typically what New Yorkers see as casual (suits and cocktail dresses.

I Capris (assuming not torn, stained, or worn through) would be completely acceptable at a nice restaurant out west. Maybe not in New York though.

Well, tuxedos, suits, cocktail dresses and pantsuits that are dirty and torn would not be acceptable. But nobody ever qualifies those the same way.

If you happen to be in the upper income category (AKA RICH) then you can wear whatever you care to. It doesn't matter what others think as you are considered a trend setter. You could probably get away with a cowboy suit or a chorus girl outfit with a pink boa if desired. I love a pink and black checked dinner jacket with a pea green shirt. If you are just an average person then you must conform to what the other average people think and dress accordingly. It's all a matter of where you fall in the spectrum.

I was on QM2 on a short cruise and on formal night there was a gentleman in a tuxedo (white, IIRC) with a tail sticking out his backside.

What kind of tail? Fluffy or shorthair? Prehensile or waggy?

The problem with dress code conversations is that there are no clear, generally understood definitions of terms. One person's "nice" is often someone else's "tacky", and "dressy" can be read as "sleazy".

I have seen women wearing what they call "capris" referred to by others as "yoga pants".

I do not particularly care what is worn by women I do not know -- but I do not think overly tight, probably spandex, things which show every crease and bulge meet any reasonable definition of "formal".

Because there are so many takes on what "formal" means, perhaps it is better if a courteous maitre d' at the door can be relied upon to decide.

The problem with dress code conversations is that there are no clear, generally understood definitions of terms. One person's "nice" is often someone else's "tacky", and "dressy" can be read as "sleazy".

I have seen women wearing what they call "capris" referred to by others as "yoga pants".

I do not particularly care what is worn by women I do not know -- but I do not think overly tight, probably spandex, things which show every crease and bulge meet any reasonable definition of "formal".

Because there are so many takes on what "formal" means, perhaps it is better if a courteous maitre d' at the door can be relied upon to decide.

Since you're in CT, I have to ask. Do you remember a news story a few months ago that some town in the NY metro area was considering banning yoga pants because they were "too revealing?"

Eh, yoga pants ARE just fine to go do groceries!

Why would anyone wear pajama pants outside?! Never seen that. They are sleeping attire.

As usual for ladies, it is not the name, but the style that matters.

Stylish Capri pants can be quite smart ( casual).

so yes, as long as you don't look like a pirate, go for it.

I guess you've never been to a Starbucks in suburban NJ. Some of the young women look like they just rolled out of bed and headed to Starbucks for their morning coffee. I guess they don't own coffee makers. :eek:

Everyone has an opinion. And attire is quite different depending on where you happen to live.....east or west.

Only two things matter.

Do you feel comfortable wearing whatever it is you plan to wear?

Will you pass inspection at the MDR front desk?

After that it is all nothing but personal opinions-none of which is either right or wrong.

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are wearing clean clothes. Fortunately, the people with the most strident opinions on this board have absolutely ZERO input or discretion on deciding what is acceptable, from a cruise line perspective, in MDR attire.

Edited by iancal

Since you're in CT, I have to ask. Do you remember a news story a few months ago that some town in the NY metro area was considering banning yoga pants because they were "too revealing?"

I guess you've never been to a Starbucks in suburban NJ. Some of the young women look like they just rolled out of bed and headed to Starbucks for their morning coffee. I guess they don't own coffee makers. :eek:

No, I don't recall that story; but with regard to you next comment I'd add that a lot of young women around here (in addition to lacking coffee makers) appear to have neither mothers nor mirrors at home considering the way they dress as they leave the house.

Capri simply refers to the length (from mid-calf to just over knee length). Yoga pants are stretchy form fitting pants that are comfortable for doing yoga in, and sometimes come in capri length. It appears that some manufacturers are referring to capri length yoga pants as "capri leggings".

There are plenty of women's formal clothes that are "overly tight, probably spandex, things which show every crease and bulge". Generally that sort of thing is considered just fine for women with "perfect bodies". The complaints come out when a woman who is not "perfect" wants to wear the same thing.

I'm a displaced New Yorker & would never wear Capri's to a nice Restaurant in Manhattan, however I'm also in the older/retired generation..

Our office moved to Long Island & many of us wore pant suits or dress slacks, but when I had to go into Manhattan for meetings always wore a dress or suit (skirt w/Jacket).. Have no idea what they wear in Manhattan now..

I might wear a nice Capri outfit for smart casual night on a cruise though, & the same outfit would be acceptable here in South Florida at a nice restaurant..

I figure that if a former first lady, former U.S. Senator, former U.S. Secretary of State and current candidate for U.S. Presidency can wear pant suits all over the world, my Dior pant suits likely aren't too unacceptably out of place. :D

As to capri pants, there are denim, seersucker, linen, cotton, polyester and how many other fabrics and tailoring used to make capri pants. If one chooses a neatly tailored, well fitting capri with a top considered appropriate for MDR dinner with slacks, a nice shoe including some ladies' high heels, I see nothing wrong with that outfit on a casual night. Frankly, these days how many who ask if a particular garment/outfit is okay really care if any of us think it okay or not? :D They likely plan to wear it no matter our answer and that is fine by me.

I am so long ago past caring what anyone wears. If they want to look disrespectful or ridiculous or sloppy, so be it.

Edited by sail7seas

I am so long ago past caring what anyone wears. If they want to look disrespectful or ridiculous or sloppy, so be it.

If you truly don't care what others are wearing then how can you consider them "disrespectful"? In order for someone to be disrespectful they would have to respect what you feel they should be wearing. As you have said you are "long past caring".

Having an opinion and caring are two different things.

I view an opinion for most anything.

Caring is selective.

I may view a person and notice they look ridiculous but not care in the least if that is how they choose to present themselves.

Maybe a matter of semantics.

Edited by sail7seas

Eh, yoga pants ARE just fine to go do groceries!

Why would anyone wear pajama pants outside?! Never seen that. They are sleeping attire.

As usual for ladies, it is not the name, but the style that matters.

Stylish Capri pants can be quite smart ( casual).

so yes, as long as you don't look like a pirate, go for it.

Sadly, here in the US where the homeless are generally better attired than the well to do, Pajama pants are found in many a shopping mall and even in the fast food places.

[quote name='RKD']I doubt if I WILL wear capris in the evening (for smart casual), but I did want to ask. I have a very hard time with any kind of heat or humidity, and I am on an Estrogen blocker for cancer which compounds my problem. I get overheated very easily, so I always try to dress to stay as cool as possible. THAT'S why I asked about capris. If you are on the 2 week Alaska cruise that leaves June 15, you should be able to spot me easily. I will be the one on deck viewing the glacier dressed in short sleeves. Guess I should go shopping for yoga and pajama pants before I go, though! ;):rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

How about a very light weight Mamma Kass type outfit. They always look quite cool.