You guys have convinced me to go to Alaska!!!

js4rq

Reading your Alaska reviews have got me wanting to go to Alaska. ;)

My partner and I have a Panama canal cruise booked for March 2017; however, we are considering doing an Alaska cruise instead.

We would love to go in May for better weather; however, for salmon runs as well as bear watching at Anan Creek etc, it appears the best time to go is mid July to mid August. Is this correct? :)

I read that the Alaska itineraries aren't usually released until November or so. Will 2017 Does this apply to all cruiselines, or does some release their itineraries earlier?? :cool:

Cheers

We weren't able to book our 2016 RCCL Alaskan cruise until March of this year. I show March 26, give or take a day, as the first day they went on sale. I believe that Princess began earlier, and a couple others too. Someone who knows better about the other lines can chime in on that.

Bear watching is later in the summer, and permits are limited. We are going in May. Figure we can always return for the bear watching. Good excuse to go back. [emoji4]

We did a Panama Canal cruise years ago. It was fascinating.

My partner and I have a Panama canal cruise booked for March 2017; however, we are considering doing an Alaska cruise instead.

We would love to go in May for better weather; however, for salmon runs as well as bear watching at Anan Creek etc, it appears the best time to go is mid July to mid August. Is this correct? :)

I read that the Alaska itineraries aren't usually released until November or so. Will 2017 Does this apply to all cruiselines, or does some release their itineraries earlier?? :cool:

Cheers

Correct on your bear viewing and (Anan is only ONE area, there are numerous others) and salmon runs. Anan peak is month of July. these are black bears, with browns sometimes being the preferred to view. Denali Park is the bargain of Alaska wildlife, and Kenai Fjords the jackpot of varied wildlife. Both areas require one way cruises.

Edited by Budget Queen

Cheers

Hi js4rq, I'm headed to Alaska in Sept, an can't wait to go.:) Am choppin at the bit.

We leave July 12th!!! Can't wait! Like you, we have thought about this for several years and finally took the plunge!! We booked our trip in April, 2014 for this July. The representative we spoke to suggested we go ahead and reserve so that we could get our first choice of cabin location. It also gave me plenty of time to make payments when we had extra cash.

The excitement keeps building as the departure date nears! :D

Thanks for the responses so far. :) If only 2017 Alaska itineraries were out now, to get an idea of what itineraries are available and what itinerary we'd like to do!

Hi js4rq, I'm headed to Alaska in Sept, an can't wait to go.:) Am choppin at the bit.

I bet!! Lucky you!! :D Which cruiseline are you doing the Alaska cruise with??

We leave July 12th!!! Can't wait! Like you, we have thought about this for several years and finally took the plunge!! We booked our trip in April, 2014 for this July. The representative we spoke to suggested we go ahead and reserve so that we could get our first choice of cabin location. It also gave me plenty of time to make payments when we had extra cash.

Not long now for you now!! :D I hope you have a fantastic trip!!!

Edited by js4rq

Alaska is amazing! We have been on two Alaska cruises on two different cruise lines (Princess and Royal Caribbean) and have a third Alaska cruise booked on Holland American for a 14 day cruise next year.

Which cruise line are you thinking about for your Alaska cruise?

Edited by JimAOk1945

Thanks for the responses so far. :) If only 2017 Alaska itineraries were out now, to get an idea of what itineraries are available and what itinerary we'd like to do!

Itineraries going on currently are going to be available in 2017. The exception could be HAL's single 14 day currently running. Has had changes happen, but others are going to be the same.

It is too early, to choose for a 2017 trip, in my opinion. Especially first timers, a lot of information out there, and pretty common to change the mind a few times. :)

Alaska is amazing! We have been on two Alaska cruises on two different cruise lines (Princess and Royal Caribbean) and have a third Alaska cruise booked on Holland American for a 14 day cruise next year.

Which cruise line are you thinking about for your Alaska cruise?

It's early days yet, but possibly Princess.

What did you think of cruising Alaska on Royal Caribbean, compared to Princess?

Itineraries going on currently are going to be available in 2017. The exception could be HAL's single 14 day currently running. Has had changes happen, but others are going to be the same.

It is too early, to choose for a 2017 trip, in my opinion. Especially first timers, a lot of information out there, and pretty common to change the mind a few times. :)

You're right, 2017 is a long way off. I'm indecisive and knowing me, I will probably change my mind a few times! ;) Plenty of time to do my research and save up!! :D

In addition to Princess.... you can include Holland America as an option.

Holland Yukon Denali option where you cruise halfway to Skagway... go over land to Anchorage and then get on another boat is a unique option.

Yukon Denali http://www.hollandamerica.com/YukonDoubleDenali

[YOUTUBE]Hj5GcyeWsuk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE]

I bet!! Lucky you!! :D Which cruiseline are you doing the Alaska cruise with??

Not long now for you now!! :D I hope you have a fantastic trip!!!

Hi, goin on Radiance, no other cruise line will do, been hooked on Rcl since 1983. Been on the Song of Norway, Song of America, Sun Viking, Nordic Prince, Viking Serenade, Legend, Splendor, Serenade, Rhapsody, Mariner, Explorer. Course Princess, got me as a passenger 5 times. This next cruise will be #24. Been to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada/New England & of course Alaska. Just can't get over the beauty up there, since last Sept, Alaska has been callin my name!!:) First cruise was to the Caribbean, on the Boheme, Commadore cruise line, wasn't much of a ship, but it got my feet wet, got sick as a dog the first night out:eek: but it was a start.

Virginia

Correct on your bear viewing and (Anan is only ONE area, there are numerous others) and salmon runs. Anan peak is month of July. these are black bears, with browns sometimes being the preferred to view. Denali Park is the bargain of Alaska wildlife, and Kenai Fjords the jackpot of varied wildlife. Both areas require one way cruises.

Or there is/should be a 14-day itinerary on Holland America Line that visits ports that other cruises don't get to.

What did you think of cruising Alaska on Royal Caribbean, compared to Princess?

We were very impressed with our cruise on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas. The ship is beautiful with lots of glass in public areas for viewing the amazing scenery.

The main reason we chose the Southbound route was because the itinerary contains 4 ports of call rather than the usual 3. The fourth port, Icy Strait Point (which is in Hoonah, Alaska) lived up to our expectations. It is not spoiled yet with tourism and has some fantastic excursions available.

We went on a combo whale watch/bear watch ship sponsored excursion that was truly breathtaking. We saw more whales at Icy Strait Point than our previous two excursions in Juneau!

I had read that there is also a "resident" whale that lives in the port area. We saw it breach the water as we walked along the shoreline! And we also saw bears trying to catch salmon on the same excursion. This port was the highlight of that cruise.

The cruise also includes Hubbard Glacier which is stunningly beautiful. We saw multiple "calvings" while there.

Here is something to think about if you are considering a one way cruise. We chose to get the longer flight out of the way first. So we flew to Anchorage and took the transfer bus to Seward for the ship embarkation. Embarkation was a breeze! We were the only ship there. The cruise ends in Vancouver so the flight home was shorter.

Happy planning!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Holland Yukon Denali option where you cruise halfway to Skagway... go over land to Anchorage and then get on another boat is a unique option.

Yukon Denali http://www.hollandamerica.com/YukonDoubleDenali

[YOUTUBE]Hj5GcyeWsuk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for sharing the awesome videos!! :D

Thank you for the other comments - gives me something to think about! :)

We would love to stay in Seward pre or post cruise; however, I notice there aren't many round Alaska trips from Seward (only with NCL??) - and they're 14 nights. Although Holland America offers 14 nights round trips from Seattle.

Certainly something to think about!

Thanks again everyone. :)

Or there is/should be a 14-day itinerary on Holland America Line that visits ports that other cruises don't get to.

My response was for Denali Park and Kenai Fjords. Neither can be done with the HAL 14 day, round trip Seattle itinerary. And their additional ports- Kodiak, is extremely short, Homer- requires more time as well for my priorities. Plenty of options.

Just thought I would mention that more will be the "same" in 2017 than different, being they want a head start with their planning.

/QUOTE]

You make it sound like you are on a cruise ship, twice/ split? for clairfication there is only ONE partial cruise involved, either 3 or 4 days only, with any of the Yukon cruise tour options. You can ADD, independently- a one way cruise that is 7 days, but would have to be willing to do some extra planning and independent transferring.

You should take a look at the other cruise lines that sail Alaska too! :) Since I live in Vancouver, we cruise Alaska very frequently since it's ... right here LOL. (As you can see from my signature) we've done Alaska 4 times already! I've done a trip report for HAL, and am currently doing one for Disney.

My advice for you would be to remember that it is indeed a mainly scenery-based cruise, so that's really the highlight. In regards to the ports, they're really like little frontier towns filled with little shops. You basically have like 3 options for port activities: walk around random little shops and explore town, do a little tour excursion and see some animals or a nearby glacier, or do something really adventurous like whale watching, helicopter riding or dogsled riding.

Another piece of important advice: Unless you're going to be doing those super adventurous (expensive) excursions and want the cruise line-guaranteed safety, book your excursions on land. Near the area you disembark, there a row of excursion booths near the place you disembark in Juneau that sell tours for like $10 a person (versus like $50 per person with the cruise line). Though Skagway, if you want to do the White Pass train (that's like $100 per person) that most book through the cruise line as well. In Ketchikan, it's mostly like a shopping town (plus Creek Street that's a little further in), so there aren't really many excursions here.

Also, each Alaskan cruise visits one glacier (so keep that in mind when booking because some cruise lines seem to only visit a certain one in all of their itineraries). There are 3 main options: Tracy Arm Fjord, Hubbard Glacier, and Glacier Bay National Park. (Keeping in mind that the weather is often crummy) if we give all three of these glaciers an even fight and assume that we're looking at all 3 of them in beautiful, sunny weather, here would be the rankings:

1.) Glacier Bay National Park

2.) Hubbard Glacier

3.) Tracy Arm Fjord

The reason being that with #2 and #3, they're literally 'drive up, park, ta-dah!, okay bye.' While #1 is a whole 'park' that you cruise into and drive around looking at many different things. Overall scenery is much more beautiful at the main glacier anyways. #2 on a sunny day looks like a picture you'd see on a post card, and #3 is just a regular glacier. Also keep in mind that #2 on a bad weather day also doesn't look very good LOL. We went to #1 on a bad weather bad and it still looked more magnificent than the other two.

Going in August, we've seen a salmon run in Creek Street in Ketchikan (we saw in one year, but not the August after that). In August we've also been to areas that the tour guide's warned us that there are little black bears and to stay away - so I assume that bears are indeed active during August?

Edited by lovely_serenity

You should take a look at the other cruise lines that sail Alaska too! :) Since I live in Vancouver, we cruise Alaska very frequently since it's ... right here LOL. (As you can see from my signature) we've done Alaska 4 times already! I've done a trip report for HAL, and am currently doing one for Disney.

My advice for you would be to remember that it is indeed a mainly scenery-based cruise, so that's really the highlight. In regards to the ports, they're really like little frontier towns filled with little shops. You basically have like 3 options for port activities: walk around random little shops and explore town, do a little tour excursion and see some animals or a nearby glacier, or do something really adventurous like whale watching, helicopter riding or dogsled riding.

Another piece of important advice: Unless you're going to be doing those super adventurous (expensive) excursions and want the cruise line-guaranteed safety, book your excursions on land. Near the area you disembark, there a row of excursion booths near the place you disembark in Juneau that sell tours for like $10 a person (versus like $50 per person with the cruise line). Though Skagway, if you want to do the White Pass train (that's like $100 per person) that most book through the cruise line as well. In Ketchikan, it's mostly like a shopping town (plus Creek Street that's a little further in), so there aren't really many excursions here.

Also, each Alaskan cruise visits one glacier (so keep that in mind when booking because some cruise lines seem to only visit a certain one in all of their itineraries). There are 3 main options: Tracy Arm Fjord, Hubbard Glacier, and Glacier Bay National Park. (Keeping in mind that the weather is often crummy) if we give all three of these glaciers an even fight and assume that we're looking at all 3 of them in beautiful, sunny weather, here would be the rankings:

2.) Hubbard Glacier

3.) Tracy Arm Fjord

The reason being that with #2 and #3, they're literally 'drive up, park, ta-dah!, okay bye.' While #1 is a whole 'park' that you cruise into and drive around looking at many different things. Overall scenery is much more beautiful at the main glacier anyways. #2 on a sunny day looks like a picture you'd see on a post card, and #3 is just a regular glacier. Also keep in mind that #2 on a bad weather day also doesn't look very good LOL. We went to #1 on a bad weather bad and it still looked more magnificent than the other two.

Going in August, we've seen a salmon run in Creek Street in Ketchikan (we saw in one year, but not the August after that). In August we've also been to areas that the tour guide's warned us that there are little black bears and to stay away - so I assume that bears are indeed active during August?

Thanks for the feedback and handy tips! :D I am in the process of reading your Alaska reviews. I love the photos! :D

2.) Hubbard Glacier

3.) Tracy Arm Fjord

Note with some cruises, there are a mid-ocean transfers that takes you into Tracy to meet Sawyer when near Juneau. On my HAL trip, people would jump on a little boat and go off in the morning, but would meet up with the big ship in Juneau. This saves them 50 miles and a few hours in not retracing the cruise ship. A great opportunity to check out TWO glaciers sites in one trip while maximizing Juneau time...

9ln2wYbk6xY l40k_wZzVuc

Note it's often mentioned that Tracy can be congested with ice preventing a deep venture early in the cruise season to see Sawyer.

Edited by xlxo

Note with some cruises, there are a mid-ocean transfers that takes you into Tracy to meet Sawyer when near Juneau. On my HAL trip, people would jump on a little boat and go off in the morning, but would meet up with the big ship in Juneau. This saves them 50 miles and a few hours in not retracing the cruise ship. A great opportunity to check out TWO glaciers sites in one trip while maximizing Juneau time...

9ln2wYbk6xY l40k_wZzVuc

Note it's often mentioned that Tracy can be congested with ice preventing a deep venture early in the cruise season to see Sawyer.

Ahh interesting! I think I do remember some people getting off the ship and boarding smaller ships partway through the cruise. I didn't know what they were doing, I just assumed they had booked some other tour portion that I wasn't familiar with ^^