Muster Drill with 2 little ones

OP, I don't believe *RDLER* was being rude....I think he raised a good point. You and spouse know your kids best and should have some ideas in mind on best to keep them calm. *TAPI* idea of snacks was a good idea as well.

The best place for the kids during the drill, is to be at the drill so they get use to it and are not afraid. Most drills are 15 to 30 minutes.

I have a unpopular opinion that everyone needs to fully put on their Life vests and buckle them up and wear them to the musters (Gee no more straps to trip over that way;)). The kids as well.

I strongly suggest, first thing to do in your cabin is to check that the life vests are there and that there are 2, of the correct size for the kids. If not just ask your steward for correct ones. Put them on each child, making a little game of it, fully ensuring you understand how to buckle them on. The last time we had the grandkids we had them wear the vests to the drill and they got a kick out of watching the demonstration and showing off they already had theirs.

Please listen to each drill announcement, every vessel is different and instructions are detailed for each vessel.

Have a great and safe cruise.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

This upcoming cruise will be our first with our children (3 and 5). The one concern I have is getting my kids to stand during the 45 min long muster drill. Any other parents who have cruised with little ones have any recommendations?

I'm a little surprised at the snarky responses you are getting... this is bad even for CC, you have a very valid question.

We are currently on a cruise, which is the 6th for my two year old, so we've had a lot of experience with this. Most safety drills are short, but if you find yourself in a long one it can get miserable. That's happened to us. Best advice I can give:

1) Make sure at least one of you is paying attention, if you are both distracted (i.e. each trying to occupy one child) you won't get the safety info you need.

2) The kids aren't going to get anything from the safety drill, so don't try to make them pay attention. Listen yourself, and go over with them any info related to them after the drill. During the drill, occupy them however you can (in our case, an ipod works well).

3) Don't plan on holding them the entire time. You'll get hot, sweaty, and tired for the longer drill; and so will they. Have an activity they can do standing by themselves.

We haven't ever had a major issue with it, but have seen others who have. Definitely not fun, so just be as prepared as possible. Hope you have a blast!

My son was 4 years old and did fine during the muster drill. I would estimate ours to have been 20 minutes. He wanted to be held at one point but I simply said no (too heavy). People around us entertained him by asking if this was his first cruise, what he was excited about, etc.

If all else fails, you could always play I Spy with them. ;)

Was recently on the Explorer, All parents with children were asked to stand at the front of the rows. This made things a lot easier.

I did comment to my daughter that it was a bubbles situation. I always kept a pot of bubbles in my changing bag when they were little. Blowing bubbles for 5 mins or so when they really start getting bored of standing still or being carried can make all the difference.

The parents with small children got to leave first.

Thank you so much to the posters who responded with tips, strategies, and info from past experiences. I like the gold fish idea and never even thought to take my time getting there so we aren't against the bulkhead. It makes it easier knowing what to expect.

For our past cruises, the muster drill has been bearable but on the Sensation they had us standing there for well over 45 minutes. It was the most disorganized I had ever seen one. Either way, I'm sure we'll still have a great cruise. I couldn't be more excited :D

Some of the other posters -- Good Grief!!! My toddlers are more respectful and less child like then some of the comments on here. :rolleyes:

We will take responsibility for the behavior of our children, and WILL follow the rules for adults only spaces. However, kids are kids, and I’d suggest that if you don’t ever want to see or hear kids around, don’t sail with a cruise line that so heavily markets itself to people of all ages. I’ve had far more bad experiences due to adults’ boorish behavior than I’ve ever had issues with kids.

Edited by CruizinMama1026

I didn't think it was sarcastic. My first reaction to the question was why take you kids on a cruise, if you can't handle them for 30 minutes during the most important "activity" on the ship, learning how to save your kids. Not only do you need to know what and where to go, but the parent needs to know how to handle the situation if they are separated, and it's a good time for the kids to learn how to behave. During an actually emergency, the kids do not go to camp Carnival, or the lounge so the best place is the muster station. Some ships can have anywhere from 300 - 600 kids on the ship.

It's amazing how many times questions like this come up and during the drill, the crew takes this serious. They do not need to answer questions like, where can I go to be comfortable so the kids can play during the drill.

Well said and exactly what I was thinking

I'm a little surprised at the snarky responses you are getting... this is bad even for CC, you have a very valid question.

We are currently on a cruise, which is the 6th for my two year old, so we've had a lot of experience with this. Most safety drills are short, but if you find yourself in a long one it can get miserable. That's happened to us. Best advice I can give:

1) Make sure at least one of you is paying attention, if you are both distracted (i.e. each trying to occupy one child) you won't get the safety info you need.

2) The kids aren't going to get anything from the safety drill, so don't try to make them pay attention. Listen yourself, and go over with them any info related to them after the drill. During the drill, occupy them however you can (in our case, an ipod works well).

3) Don't plan on holding them the entire time. You'll get hot, sweaty, and tired for the longer drill; and so will they. Have an activity they can do standing by themselves.

We haven't ever had a major issue with it, but have seen others who have. Definitely not fun, so just be as prepared as possible. Hope you have a blast!

Agree with much of this. We have cruised with our twins since they had just turned 3. The most difficult part is getting them to stay quiet. Bring a lollipop or something to keep their mouths busy. Stand in front so they can see what is going on; I disagree they won't get anything from it, but practicing with their vests firsts and even allowing them to wear them might create a better learning experience. I am with the camp that jackets should be tried on, especially for first-time cruisers.

Thank you so much to the posters who responded with tips, strategies, and info from past experiences. I like the gold fish idea and never even thought to take my time getting there so we aren't against the bulkhead. It makes it easier knowing what to expect.

For our past cruises, the muster drill has been bearable but on the Sensation they had us standing there for well over 45 minutes. It was the most disorganized I had ever seen one. Either way, I'm sure we'll still have a great cruise. I couldn't be more excited :D

Some of the other posters -- Good Grief!!! My toddlers are more respectful and less child like then some of the comments on here. :rolleyes:

We will take responsibility for the behavior of our children, and WILL follow the rules for adults only spaces. However, kids are kids, and I’d suggest that if you don’t ever want to see or hear kids around, don’t sail with a cruise line that so heavily markets itself to people of all ages. I’ve had far more bad experiences due to adults’ boorish behavior than I’ve ever had issues with kids.

Which ship are you sailing on? We were on the Breeze last year along with our 18 month old granddaughter and her parents. The muster drill was held in the children's lounge and it was easier on the children.

In any case, I would bring a water bottle, gold fish and some sort of activity on a smart phone.

I agree, most children are far better behaved than a lot adults especially during the muster drill.

Some more advice...Don't rush right down to the muster station when they make the announcement. First ones to arrive are in the very back. But also don't wait 20 minutes either, everyone will be cursing you for not arriving on time.

Thanks for posting, was wondering how we are going to keep 2 year grandson, busy after riding 7 hrs.

On our last cruise on board Carnival Fascination they allowed us to sit down in chairs on the lido deck. My children was 2 and 6 months at the time. If you ask they'll most likely allow you to sit as long as you are there for the demonstration.

Good for you! The 'adults' around here sometimes don't know how to play nice. ;) Boorish twits need to be called out.:D

Is it at the muster drill that children get their bracelets? That could be made into some kind of game. Front row, let them watch the crew, even if they don't understand. Have some snacks and a water bottle, as well as a hankerchief or small towel available.

I did this with my G-Kids when we had a family cruise and it seemed to work. I also made sure the kids tried on their life vests in the cabin just for the experience of putting them on. I also told them that as soon as the drill was over, we get to sail!

Enjoy your cruise!

Kids seem to do better at these things if they are prepared and kept informed about what is going on. Let them know it will be long.

Then tell them "we have to line up with everyone on the ship". "The man from Carnival has to count us to make sure we are all here". "They are going to make a lot of long announcements now."

As for standing- once you are packed in there and no one is moving, they can sit at your feet. Little ones don't take up that much room. Just don't do it until everyone is in place.

Which ship are you sailing on? We were on the Breeze last year along with our 18 month old granddaughter and her parents. The muster drill was held in the children's lounge and it was easier on the children.

In any case, I would bring a water bottle, gold fish and some sort of activity on a smart phone.

I agree, most children are far better behaved than a lot adults especially during the muster drill.

We're going on the Pride! She was my first cruise ship and it was before the 2.0 upgrades. I was pregnant with my youngest. It'll be fun to be able to take him on the ship.

I think that's exactly what i'm going to do though. Gold fish works wonders on our boys. I'm going to definitley make sure we have 2 child size life jackets in our cabin as soon as we get in there though. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Never seen a child act up either, contrary to what people here on cc like to post, people tend to take muster seriously. The loud siren followed by crew with life vests and everyone standing silent facing forward...all adds up to even children taking it serious.

A two year old on our last Carnival cruise was screaming bloody murder! It's not contrary, it happens! Children are tired and cranky and the last thing they want to do is sit quietly through a drill. It was so bad that one of the muster staff leaders asked the mother to remove the child and asked the father to stay to go through the muster drill. There's been a couple of instances of children acting out but none as bad as that.

Edited by elliair

I'm shocked at some of the comments you are getting:( You only asked for some suggestions/help and you would swear that some people thought that you were asking them to baby-sit your kids for the entire cruise....)

That having been said - on the muster drill that I was on last month, the kids were well behaved (although I didn't pay any attention to what the parents were doing...). The most distracting thing were the adults in the back complaining about having to be there and talking through the whole thing. I had never been to a muster drill before and really had to strain to hear what the instructions were (as I had a total conversation of loud people going on behind me about how they shouldn't have to be there because they've cruised before and what loyalty program status they had).

I'm sure you will be fine :)

I'm shocked at some of the comments you are getting:( You only asked for some suggestions/help and you would swear that some people thought that you were asking them to baby-sit your kids for the entire cruise....)

That having been said - on the muster drill that I was on last month, the kids were well behaved (although I didn't pay any attention to what the parents were doing...). The most distracting thing were the adults in the back complaining about having to be there and talking through the whole thing. I had never been to a muster drill before and really had to strain to hear what the instructions were (as I had a total conversation of loud people going on behind me about how they shouldn't have to be there because they've cruised before and what loyalty program status they had).

I'm sure you will be fine :)

Thank you and I agree. Those people can nark all they want, I'm just excited to take my kids on their first cruise!:D I've gotten some really helpful tips and info through this post thankfully.

A two year old on our last Carnival cruise was screaming bloody murder! It's not contrary, it happens! Children are tired and cranky and the last thing they want to do is sit quietly through a drill. It was so bad that one of the muster staff leaders asked the mother to remove the child and asked the father to stay to go through the muster drill. There's been a couple of instances of children acting out but none as bad as that.

That's terrible. Since the muster drill isn't normally until around 3:30-4, I'm hoping to get the little one down for a quick nap before hand. Now thinking about it, they might enjoy the muster drill. Especially being up front.

As long as either my husband or myself gets all the information for if a real emergency happens we'll be fine.

As for standing- once you are packed in there and no one is moving, they can sit at your feet. Little ones don't take up that much room. Just don't do it until everyone is in place.

Not true--the staff keeps an eye out to ensure that everyone is standing, even the kids. However, like most of the previous posters said, many of the Carnival ships will place families with young kids (under7?) in the front row, so they can see, don't get smashed, and it's cooler.

I would definitely agree with the recommendation about getting there at the last minute so you can be in the front row. It give the little ones something to look at/watch to distract them. We just took our 2 five year olds with us to Alaska. At the drill we thought we had waited long enough, and then they started another row in front of us. The little ones kept getting bumped about and their toes stepped on by the people in front of us who couldn't seem to stand still.

Not true--the staff keeps an eye out to ensure that everyone is standing, even the kids. However, like most of the previous posters said, many of the Carnival ships will place families with young kids (under7?) in the front row, so they can see, don't get smashed, and it's cooler.

Maybe it depends on the ship. All three cruises I've seen preschoolers sit.