RCL New Year cruise from Dubai with a 17 y. old

Hi;

We are planning a New Year cruise from Dubai with our daughter who will be 17 then.

I am not familier with the Middle East ports at all. I posted my question on the Middle East ports but there is little or no traffic.

Our cruise leaves from Dubai, goes to Musacta dn Abu Dhabi.

It is right afer New Year day.

I have a few questions and I hope cruisers on this forum can help:

1/ Safety

Is it safe? In Dubai and on the ship? I have read somewhere there is always a threat of pirates goig from Dubai to Muscat (Oman).

Is this something I should worry about?

2/ Holiday season: obviously, I don't expect people there to celebrate X-Mas and New Year like we do but is it still a holiday for new Year?

Will the kids e in school or not over there?

3/ It is not a itinerary popular with families but will there be any kids on this ship so my daughter can hang out with?

I am just starting to do my research but DH wants to visit Dubai and DD wants to do a cruise so this might be the best solution for our family.

Thanks

I can't answer all your questions specifically but I just returned ( less than a week ago) from a Dubai to Istanbul cruise. Our first stop was Muscat.

We felt safe the 3 days we were in Dubai pre cruise and felt safe on the ship . During the day in Dubai we walked everywhere or used the metro but at night we generally took a taxi.

Not sure of your specific itinerary but on our way from Dubai we had a "no light" and " no outdoors at night" policy for 5 nights. That meant we had to keep our balcony/cabin curtains closed from sundown to sun up . This was to allow for security to have a better ( no light ) view of the water. Security staff were on the outside decks five and ten 24/7 for 5 or so days. No walking outside in the dark for passengers. On the first day, we had a "safe haven" drill - sort of like the muster drill where we all had to move to an area of the ship with no windows ( inside cabin, hallways, theaters etc.) The areas was of one's choice. The drill lasted 30 or so minutes.

Can't help you with the holiday aspect, but we have been on 3 NYE cruises, and NYE has been celebrated.

There were just a few under 18 on our ship. It was during the school year and was a 15 night cruise so that may have made a difference. I think we saw a handful of families with small children. NYE may prove to be different. Our previous NYE have been full of families. Is there a roll call for the sailing?

Sounds like a great trip

Enjoy

M

ps - if you are interested in bringing a bottle of wine on board the ship, Dubai is basically dry with little or no alcohol available except in hotels and some clubs, and it is expensive. If you are flying in, the Dubai Duty Free had an extensive selection of fine and everyday wine for purchase at standard prices.

have fun

I have been to Dubai a few times (not on a cruise however) and have always felt very safe. I've traveled there as a solo female traveler for business if that gives you perspective.

Dubai is a very international city. There are actually very few Emirate natives that live there. That being said, there are quite a few people that do celebrate Christmas and you will see decorations and celebrations throughout the area. They also celebrate New Year's must like the rest of the world.

My only other comments would be if you are spending time in Dubai pre or post cruise that you are aware of the dress codes. While you will see people in all sorts of dress, it's best to be mindful and have shoulders and knees covered. Also, as the other poster mentioned, you can only buy alcohol in certain stores and you need a special license to do so. If you want to bring anything with you, your best bet is to pick it up in Duty Free at the airport. Medications should be in their original container with a prescription attached (if necessary). A lot of common OTC meds in the US are not permitted in UAE. They can be confiscated at the airport (they scan your bag prior to you leaving).

Not sure of your specific itinerary but on our way from Dubai we had a "no light" and " no outdoors at night" policy for 5 nights. That meant we had to keep our balcony/cabin curtains closed from sundown to sun up . This was to allow for security to have a better ( no light ) view of the water. Security staff were on the outside decks five and ten 24/7 for 5 or so days. No walking outside in the dark for passengers. On the first day, we had a "safe haven" drill - sort of like the muster drill where we all had to move to an area of the ship with no windows ( inside cabin, hallways, theaters etc.) The areas was of one's choice. The drill lasted 30 or so minutes.

We're pretty adventurous travellers and it's not that I'd be worried about safety, but this doesn't sound like fun..............

We're pretty adventurous travellers and it's not that I'd be worried about safety, but this doesn't sound like fun..............

Really not an issue. During the day is was business as usual. We had both sea and port days

The restrictions were just dusk (about 8:00 PM ) till dawn (about 6:30 AM). We usually take a walk around the deck after late dinner and are often the only people out there so I suspect the restriction was not a big deal to most passengers. There was no smoking inside the ship, only in specific areas on the two open decks so I am not sure how smokers handled the restriction. We usually like to have the cabin curtain open to let the sun wake us up - so that was just a minor adjustment. We could use balconies but all the cabin and balcony lights had to be out. Nighttime movies by the pool did not take place until we were out of the problematic areas .

The restrictions were only for 5 or 6 days of a 15 night cruise.

The captain gave brief safety announcements several times each day let us know "all is well". Security guards, mostly for lookout 24/7 , were pleasant and chatted with passengers.

I think these procedures are standard practice for ships in the area.

M

I have been to Dubai a few times (not on a cruise however) and have always felt very safe. I've traveled there as a solo female traveler for business if that gives you perspective.

Dubai is a very international city. There are actually very few Emirate natives that live there. That being said, there are quite a few people that do celebrate Christmas and you will see decorations and celebrations throughout the area. They also celebrate New Year's must like the rest of the world.

My only other comments would be if you are spending time in Dubai pre or post cruise that you are aware of the dress codes. While you will see people in all sorts of dress, it's best to be mindful and have shoulders and knees covered. Also, as the other poster mentioned, you can only buy alcohol in certain stores and you need a special license to do so. If you want to bring anything with you, your best bet is to pick it up in Duty Free at the airport. Medications should be in their original container with a prescription attached (if necessary). A lot of common OTC meds in the US are not permitted in UAE. They can be confiscated at the airport (they scan your bag prior to you leaving).

I had read on CC about prescriptions and OTC meds but it never seemed to be an issue. While I had a few prescriptions in the original container (in my carry on tote) I did not have the actual scripts. I had a variety of OTC meds in the luggage. Our bags were never scanned as we left the airport, nor did anyone ask us anything about any meds. We simply picked the bags up from the carousal and were directed to an airport exit. Perhaps it is different for citizens or perhaps bags are randomly selected for scanning.

M

Thank you all for the advices. It does help to know that there are security guards 24/7.

Our cruise is only 7 days, leaving from Dubai, going to Muscat then coming back to Abu Dhabi before returning to Dubai. I have read somewhere, I can't remember, that going from Dubai to Muscat is where pirates might be present.

Regarding medications, I always bring my little med kit ( Tylenol, Advil, Imodium, Bonine, antihistamine and Polysporin cream). Will this be a problem since they are not prescription drugs but more of a first aid kit?

Dh is so excited about going to Dubai. DD just wants to shop. I will start doing my research when we get back from our July cruis. I still have March 2016, July 2016 to plan before getting to the Arabian Gulf cruise.

Thanks

The meds in your first aid kit should be fine. Here is a link from the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi with information on prohibited meds:

http://abudhabi.usembassy.gov/restricted_medication.html

While cruisegirl1 may not have had her bags scanned, I have had mine scanned every time I've been though DXB. It could be a random check thing that I always seem to hit just right. :) Either way, it's worth being knowledgeable about just in case.