Bear Tour or Glacier/Dog Sled

amccon

Hi there:

There will be 2 adults and two children (8 & 9) and this is our first time in Alaska. We are on HAL Noordam 07/25 visiting Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway.

We are contemplating a helicopter glacier tour with Era with the dog sled option but wondering about the bear tour as well?

Any opinions?

Would love to do both, but sounding expensive.

Edited by amccon

You have 4 people involved. Has a "vote" been taken?

There is NO way to claim one is "better" than the other. Anyone who claims there is a "better", would be basing that detail, totally on THEIR experience and plus, maybe, not even doing both? Both are absolutely very worthwhile and greatly enjoyed.

We are also doing the same ports/different cruiseline. We are doing a floatplane to Misty Fjords/ Ketchikan to see the bears, and a helicopter for dog sledding with an extra landing on Glacier in Juneau Expensive, but I heard worth it. Now hove to hope the weather cooperates.

We are taking a boat in Ketchikan to look for bear and whale, then a private heli/dog sled excursion in Juneau. The Ketchikan tour by boat is less than half the cost of the heli trip. You might see if your cruise line offers something similar.

We are taking a boat in Ketchikan to look for bear and whale' date=' then a private heli/dog sled excursion in Juneau. The Ketchikan tour by boat is less than half the cost of the heli trip. You might see if your cruise line offers something similar.[/quote']

You haven't been on this tour, but, it does not have good sighting stats with a good possibility of seeing neither whales or bears. Unless you are going to specific areas, known for bears, chances of random sightings are slim.

We're doing both. Float plane to Anan and Helicopter dogsled with extra landing. Very expensive. I booked the bear tour over a year ago but just booked the heli dogsled last week. The only way I did it was because I saved so much on my airfare that I used the savings for that tour. Using airline points and credit card points, I am flying round trip from PA for $167.00 for two people. I have been socking away every cent I can because both tours were so important to me and I'm not sure if we will be back (although everyone says we will:D). I hope you can do both too. Now all we need is good weather!

Edited by EMED2010
Sp

You haven't been on this tour, but, it does not have good sighting stats with a good possibility of seeing neither whales or bears. Unless you are going to specific areas, known for bears, chances of random sightings are slim.

We're realistic about our chances. You can't predict wildlife especially when we're talking about the time of the season when the bears may be heading inland. I did check reviews before booking, and the folks who actually experienced the cruise were pleased overall, even when they didn't see bears.