How should we get around Oslo?

We are trying to plan our port day in Oslo. We would like to go to see the

​Vigeland ​sculpture garden at Frogner Park and then come back to the downtown (City Hall) area to see all of the other attractions.

Our travel options seem to be taking a taxi or a tram.

Do the taxis in Oslo accept credit cards? Or do we need to get Norwegian kroner?

If we decide to take the tram, where can we buy tickets using credit cards without obtaining Norwegian kroner?

Can we buy a roundtrip tram ticket or do we buy a return ticket at Frogner Park?

Thanks,

Sadie

You also might want to consider the 24 hour Oslo Pass. You can buy this at most hotels or at the tourist office at the main train station. Gives you free public transportation, including the ferry to see the museums on Bygdøynes, and admission to all the museums. Taxis are VERY expensive in Norway. Vigeland sculpture park is free.

Here is some information about public transportation.

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=182075&Ticket-prices-for-public-transportation-in-Oslo

Keep in mind that with an American "chip and signature" card you may not be able to purchase tickets at kiosks with your credit card. Get a pin number from your bank and try that, but when I was there, sometimes that worked, and sometimes it did not. I purchased Kroner from my bank (BofA) before I left home as a precaution for this. You can also purchase public transportation tickets at Narvesen and 7-Eleven stores in Oslo. Buying in advance is cheaper than purchasing from the driver.

Oslo has an excellent Hop-On Hop-Off bus that visits all the key attractions and has a good audio commentary along the way. Stops at the cruise terminal, so couldn't be more convenient. Accepts credit cards.

Hi there. I'm new to Cruise Critic, but not to cruising. We will be sailing in the Baltic in July, 2015. I have planned shore excursions in St. Petersburg and Berlin. I was planning to walk in Oslo and not take a formal excursion. How does one pay for the hop-on, hop-off bus? Are credit cards accepted? American Express? Any recommendations on what sites to visit since time is limited? Thanks!

Hi there. I'm new to Cruise Critic, but not to cruising. We will be sailing in the Baltic in July, 2015. I have planned shore excursions in St. Petersburg and Berlin. I was planning to walk in Oslo and not take a formal excursion. How does one pay for the hop-on, hop-off bus? Are credit cards accepted? American Express? Any recommendations on what sites to visit since time is limited? Thanks!

Welcome to these Cruise Critic Boards. Lots of great people and info here. For Oslo, much depends on what you personally seek and like. How much is your priority for history, art, architecture, culture, shopping, museums, etc.??? Tell us more!!

People will sometimes ask how Oslo compares to Stockholm and Copenhagen. Much of the difference is about the contrast of Oslo's more contemporary great art/design . . . versus . . . the deeper depth of history/design and royal background associated with both Copenhagen and Stockholm. Both of these capitals of Sweden and Denmark have had much longer recent histories of power and wealth, while Oslo is "newer" in many ways.

More on Vigeland/Oslo art: Gustav Vigeland's astonishing figures show the whole range of human life presented in stone and metal. There are nearly 200 sculptures, comprising 600 granite or bronze figures, in the park's large landscapes. All were designed by the Norwegian artist, whose museum, with over 1600 more statues (and his ashes) is just five minutes' walk away. Vigeland also designed the park's layout and setting. He was described as versatile, obsessive and abrasive. It took years of debate before Oslo Municipal Council, in 1922, approved plans for a sculpture park which would express the struggles and aspirations of humanity from birth to death as the artist desired. The result is astonishing in concept, amazing in execution and setting. Walk through the big iron gates and you're on a broad avenue leading to a bridge on whose parapets are mounted. The children shown are more conventional and appealing. Across the bridge rises a big fountain, in the middle of which a ring of giants supports a huge bronze bowl. Like everything else in the park, it's large in scale. From its center soars the monolith, a nearly 40'-high slab of Norwegian granite weighing 180 tons. The 121 writhing, creeping, struggling figures on its surface took three carvers 15 years to complete. There's no denying the drama here.

This Vigeland Park is wonderful, but it will require some "logistics" to get there from the main downtown. Not within easy, quick walking distance.

Is the museum devoted to Munch and his famed "Scream" pictures and other art of interest to visit? It is also a little farther away from the main downtown.

Below are some of my visual examples of what we liked and enjoyed much in Oslo.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 179,105 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the main, historic Akershus Fortress/Castle next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. It successfully survived all sieges, primarily by Swedish forces. It surrendered without combat to Germans in 1940 when the Norwegian government evacuated the capital in the face of the German invasions of Denmark and Norway. The very interesting and moving Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are “priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandParkFount.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

Here is Oslo’s City Hall exterior. The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded here annually in early December. On the inside are a wide variety of interesting art and design items.:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

At the National Museum in Oslo, there is Munch art, including one of his two famed Scream painting that are in this Norway capital. At the separate Munch Museum, just a little distance away from central Oslo, there is the other Scream painting in Oslo. There are many other of his painting at this museum by the famed artist.:

1A-Oslo-NatGalMunch.jpg

Here is a view of the Norway Parliament Building in Oslo or the “Storting” (meaning "the great assembly"). It is a unicameral parliament with 169 members, elected every four years. Parliament was established by their Constitution of Norway in 1814 and has since 1866 met in this building with its unique curved front section. Once the bill has reached the King in Council, the bill must be signed by the monarch and countersigned by the prime minister. It then becomes Norwegian law. The King has the right to withhold Royal Assent from any bill passed, but this has never been done since the dissolution of the union with Sweden in 1905 that restored Norway to full independence.:

OsloParliamentRound.jpg

Check TripAdvisor. The Hop-on-hop-off bus in Oslo has HORRIBLE reviews. When I was there 3 weeks ago, I purchased an Oslo Pass instead (at the tourist center at the bus station; also available at most large hotels). This gave me free access to all central Oslo public transportation (the system is excellent) including ferries, buses, and trolleys, entrance to all museums, and even some discounts on some restaurants. I had originally planned to take the HOHO bus, but now am glad I did not.

Here is current information about the Oslo Pass. The current US$ exchange rate with the Norwegian Kroner is $1 = 7.7 NOK:

Adult

24 hours: 320 NOK

48 hours: 470 NOK

72 hours: 590 NOK

Child (under 15 yo)/Senior (67 yo and over)

24 hours: 160 NOK

48 hours: 240 NOK

72 hours: 295 NOK

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/

The one day pass is the way go. You can purchase it at the train station on the other side of the fort, or more easily at a 7-11. The routes of the tram go

near the major sites, if not there are the buses. There is a discount for

those over 62. Just get a good map, when you dock or google one. It is

an easy city to get around. Most people do speak English and we have found

that everyone is very helpful. I think the 24 hour pass works on the ferries to

the old ships. Remember, that Norway is a very expensive country. Our coffee at the 7-11 cost over 8 Cdollars a cup.

Check TripAdvisor. The Hop-on-hop-off bus in Oslo has HORRIBLE reviews. When I was there 3 weeks ago, I purchased an Oslo Pass instead (at the tourist center at the bus station; also available at most large hotels). This gave me free access to all central Oslo public transportation (the system is excellent) including ferries, buses, and trolleys, entrance to all museums, and even some discounts on some restaurants. I had originally planned to take the HOHO bus, but now am glad I did not.

While we did not use the Hop-On, Hop-Off for Oslo, we have used and seen this option in its works in a variety of Europe locations. I would rate this options as potential great, maybe, BUT, one of the big, big IF's is all about how frequent is their service and whether their buses get too busy/crowded.

Buyer beware!! If their service is slow and crowded, then things will not be much fun. If a number of cruise ships are in port that day, it can create major challenges. And, these buses are, in most cases, not cheap. For Oslo, we did a ship tour. Yes, such excursions are not always ideal and/or cheap. BUT, it got us where we wanted to go and made the "logistics" so much easier and more efficient.

Consider your options carefully and be smart for what maximizes your valuable time in cities with so much to see and experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 109,958 views for this posting.

Public transit in Oslo is very easy to navigate. Most buses and trams have displays showing the next stop, and everyone speaks English so it's easy to get help if you need it.

If you buy one-trip or 24-hour transit tickets (versus the Oslo Pass) from a ticket machine or convenience store, you run them across the digital reader when you first board a tram/bus (or near the platform entrance at metro stations), and they're then valid for 1 or 24 hours accordingly, including transfers. So to buy a roundtrip ticket, you'd essentially just buy two one-time tickets and only scan one when you board, saving the other to use later.

The one day pass is the way go. You can purchase it at the train station on the other side of the fort, or more easily at a 7-11. The routes of the tram go

near the major sites, if not there are the buses. There is a discount for

those over 62. Just get a good map, when you dock or google one. It is

an easy city to get around. Most people do speak English and we have found

that everyone is very helpful. I think the 24 hour pass works on the ferries to the old ships. Remember, that Norway is a very expensive country. Our coffee at the 7-11 cost over 8 Cdollars a cup.

This is incorrect, as of 2014. The ferry is no longer included in the 24-hour transit pass (it is included for those with an Oslo pass).

The price for single ferry journey is 35 NOK and for roundtrip it is 55 NOK. Children and seniors pay half price. This price is valid the ticket is purchased at Pier 3 (the dock by City Hall) or at the museums on Bygdøy, but it costs 55 NOK when purchased on board the vessel.

The Oslo card is only a good value if you intend on visiting a lot of paid attractions. However, one of the best attractions in Oslo is Frogner Park, which is free. It takes some time to get out there and explore, which will eat up a good chunk of the day. Therefore, on my last trip I could not justify the Oslo card and instead I purchased a transit day pass.

Hope that helps someone!

Edited by A.Emgee