Couple of questions....1st time to Italy:-)

luv2gonow

Hi,

I am soooo excited about my 1st trip to Italy next month. Doing NCL Land/Sea tour. Land portion is Venice, Florence and Rome. Then Med cruise out of Rome.

My daughter is a very picky eater. Do most restaurants have ketchup?? Is it heinz:o . Is pasta with just butter a normal entrée? Are French fries available at most places. Hambergers.

She likes Chicken Cutlet(plain) is That chicken Milanese.

As for coffee. If you order coffee is that expresso?

Any other 1st time tips would be awesome.

Cant wait to try the Gelato....while my daughter is picky with food she will love trying gelato:rolleyes:

Kerri

Hi,

I am soooo excited about my 1st trip to Italy next month. Doing NCL Land/Sea tour. Land portion is Venice, Florence and Rome. Then Med cruise out of Rome.

My daughter is a very picky eater. Do most restaurants have ketchup?? Is it heinz:o . Is pasta with just butter a normal entrée? Are French fries available at most places. Hambergers.

She likes Chicken Cutlet(plain) is That chicken Milanese.

As for coffee. If you order coffee is that expresso?

Any other 1st time tips would be awesome.

Cant wait to try the Gelato....while my daughter is picky with food she will love trying gelato:rolleyes:

Kerri

How old is your daughter first off? You and she may run into some problems if she is as picky as you indicate to be honest altho I think with a careful read of the menu and hopefully your waiter will understand English you may be ok. I do know not all restos do not carry ketchup,but you can always ask.Heniz brand who knows.As for fries that again could be a problem in some places so you will have to pick your places with care or maybe she can learn more foods. I suggest McDonalds for her maybe before you go to a resto for you. You can order plain pasta and then ask for whatever you want to put on top. Chicken dishes can be ordered plain..other countries other rules that is why I said McDonald's. as for coffee you can order coffee americano which is not expresso. I am just being honest here with you that you may have some issues with the food,but with palanning you may be ok.Other's may have a different take than I do and will reply. Good luck.

How old is your daughter first off? You and she may run into some problems if she is as picky as you indicate to be honest altho I think with a careful read of the menu and hopefully your waiter will understand English you may be ok. I do know not all restos do not carry ketchup,but you can always ask.Heniz brand who knows.As for fries that again could be a problem in some places so you will have to pick your places with care or maybe she can learn more foods. I suggest McDonalds for her maybe before you go to a resto for you. You can order plain pasta and then ask for whatever you want to put on top. Chicken dishes can be ordered plain..other countries other rules that is why I said McDonald's. as for coffee you can order coffee americano which is not expresso. I am just being honest here with you that you may have some issues with the food,but with palanning you may be ok.Other's may have a different take than I do and will reply. Good luck.

No I appreciate honestly that is what I need to hear. McDonalds....LOL didn't even realize that was an option. I will probably bring ketchup with me just in case and worst case she will eat bread and butter sometimes.

Oh yea hopefully she likes the pizza there.

Kerri

You will not find ketchup (or fries for that matter) in most Italian restaurants. Some of the most touristy areas may have these things. Menus are posted outside most restaurants, so you can always look at them first and see what is appealing to your daughter.

Plain pasta is not a problem, however in Italy it generally isn't served dripping with butter. It's more likely to have been doused with a little olive oil.

Plain roasted chicken is often on menus. Look for Pollo Arrosto. Chicken Milanese is a cutlet dipped in bread crumbs and pan fried.

If you order a "café" you will get espresso (unless you are in a very touristy place, then they may ask you what kind of coffee). As the other poster said, you can ask for a café Americano but do not expect it to be exactly like the coffee you are used to.

You might start preparing your daughter to be a little more adventurous in her choices. When I went to Italy with my son at age 6, he was fairly picky but wound up trying (and liking!) some new things, particularly penne arrabbiata, which was a huge surprise to me.

You might find risotto (a creamy rice dish) on the menu in Venice and Florence as an alternative to pasta. My son also tried and liked spaghetti carbonara, and pasta with "cacio e pepe" (cheese and black pepper), a Roman specialty. Of course, he also could fill up on the delicious bread....

Moral of the story: Don't give in and go to McDonald's.....experience the local cuisine; Italian food is very likeable -- almost everyone can find something to please them.

Edited by cruisemom42

Some restaurants will have ketchup but if it's critical that she have it, and especially that she have a specific brand, bring it with you.

Fries (patatine, or patatine fritte, or patate fritte in Italian) are more common.

Pasta with butter is not common; "plain" pasta in Italy would be "con olio" or "con olio d'oliva" (with olive oil). You can certainly ask for it to be made for you which would be "con burro".

You also will not find hamburgers on most menus but, as noted above, you will find McDonalds and Burger King in every major city.

As for coffee, unless you are staying at a hotel that caters to Americans you will not find drip coffee, it's just not how they make coffee typically in Italy. Cafe Americano is watered down espresso. (Although this makes me wonder what they serve as "coffee" at McDonalds and Burger King in Italy, I've never been to either. Maybe someone who has can let us know.)

LOL - just saw what Cruisemom wrote ... on the same page.

Edited by euro cruiser

You will not find ketchup (or fries for that matter) in most Italian restaurants. Some of the most touristy areas may have these things. Menus are posted outside most restaurants, so you can always look at them first and see what is appealing to your daughter.

Plain pasta is not a problem, however in Italy it generally isn't served dripping with butter. It's more likely to have been doused with a little olive oil.

Plain roasted chicken is often on menus. Look for Pollo Arrosto. Chicken Milanese is a cutlet dipped in bread crumbs and pan fried.

If you order a "café" you will get espresso (unless you are in a very touristy place, then they may ask you what kind of coffee). As the other poster said, you can ask for a café Americano but do not expect it to be exactly like the coffee you are used to.

You might start preparing your daughter to be a little more adventurous in her choices. When I went to Italy with my son at age 6, he was fairly picky but wound up trying (and liking!) some new things, particularly penne arrabbiata, which was a huge surprise to me.

You might find risotto (a creamy rice dish) on the menu in Venice and Florence as an alternative to pasta. My son also tried and liked spaghetti carbonara, and pasta with "cacio e pepe" (cheese and black pepper), a Roman specialty. Of course, he also could fill up on the delicious bread....

Moral of the story: Don't give in and go to McDonald's.....experience the local cuisine; Italian food is very likeable -- almost everyone can find something to please them.

I will bring some ketchup with me then will start stocking up on packets.

I will not go to McDonalds 1st but after if she is hungry. I am hoping she will try new things....but she is a stubborn 13 yr old. I for one cant wait to try all Italy has to offer.

Some restaurants will have ketchup but if it's critical that she have it, and especially that she have a specific brand, bring it with you.

Fries (patatine, or patatine fritte, or patate fritte in Italian) are more common.

Pasta with butter is not common; "plain" pasta in Italy would be "con olio" or "con olio d'oliva" (with olive oil). You can certainly ask for it to be made for you which would be "con burro".

You also will not find hamburgers on most menus but, as noted above, you will find McDonalds and Burger King in every major city.

As for coffee, unless you are staying at a hotel that caters to Americans you will not find drip coffee, it's just not how they make coffee typically in Italy. Cafe Americano is watered down espresso. (Although this makes me wonder what they serve as "coffee" at McDonalds and Burger King in Italy, I've never been to either. Maybe someone who has can let us know.)

LOL - just saw what Cruisemom wrote ... on the same page.

Thanks I am great with expresso so that is good to hear. Will definitely order the con burro pasta with nothing else on it. She should be good with Chicken Milanese also. She will like the pizza if it is more cheesy and not loaded with sauce....and hold anything green on it:o

I can't wait to try all the delicious food!!

Kerri:-)

Pizza will be unlike what she is used to at home, and (my opinion, obviously) don't eat pizza in Venice. Wait until you're in Rome for pizza.

Good to know....didnt' realize that. I heard Naples is famous for the pizza but we have an all day Amalfi Pompeii tour so wont get to try pizza there

So I will wait for Rome...if I can:D

Kerri

I am hoping she will try new things....but she is a stubborn 13 yr old. I for one cant wait to try all Italy has to offer.

I was somewhat of a picky eater as a child. My mother was very smart - she never forced me to eat anything, but she insisted that I at least tried things once. That made me, as an adult, willing to try pretty much anything... :)

Also, if your daughter can learn to love olive oil and balsamic vinegar, she will be OK, as those are the basic condiments in Italy (yes, you even get little bottles at McDonalds!)

It's interesting (and delicious) to see how pizza is different. Pizza that you sit down and eat is sold in individual portions. It is round, about the size of a charger plate.

Pizza by the slice (pizza al taglio) is generally made in large rectangles and you order a portion or two. The dough of these pizzas is thicker than a typical pizza in the US while the dough of an individual pizza is much thinner.

Remember - it is "espresso", not "expresso". If you really want espresso, just ask for "un cafe", which is how you order espresso. an Americano is an espresso with hot water added - a leftover from WW2, no doubt, when American forces couldn't stand espresso, so they watered it down. Very rare to find a place that does "normal" US-style drip coffee.

Good luck with the 13-yr old! Sounds like she is going to be eating just plain pasta with butter most of the time. For pizza, in Rome, have her try the pizza bianca, aka "white pizza". No sauce. No cheese. But, be aware that, in Italy, the pizzas (unless it is a tourist trap) aren't slathered in tomato sauce. Just enough to "color" the top is the norm. Have her try a slice of pizza Margherita - a little sauce, fresh slices of tomato and mozzarella cheese with some pieces of basil.

As for ketchup, I never saw any. But, I didn't eat at McDonald's or any of the restaurants that line the areas around the tourist attractions. When I did see families where I was eating, the children were eating pasta, meats, not burgers. You may want to bring your own supply, as you said. The

chicken Milanese may not be acceptable to her - it's breaded chicken with sauce - think eggplant parmesan but with chicken instead… I'd look for good old roasted chicken - the pollo arrosto cruisemom42 referred to. Or, if she eats meat/cheese sandwiches at home, look for some panini sandwiches that will be OK for her.

You must eat in nicer restaurants than we normally do, Cruisemom42! :p In our area, (Le Marche) and also in Tuscany, patatine fritte (fries) are very popular, and very tasty. Around us, they are not always listed on the menu, since they're practically a staple, so it's worth asking if you don't see them listed. Sometimes they come as thin-sliced rounds, so if you want the stick-shaped ones, you can confirm that they are "bastoncini". You can even find pizza with fries on it - very popular with teenagers. Ketchup and mayonnaise are usually available for the fries, but the ketchup is not usually Heinz.

You must eat in nicer restaurants than we normally do, Cruisemom42! :p In our area, (Le Marche) and also in Tuscany, patatine fritte (fries) are very popular, and very tasty. Around us, they are not always listed on the menu, since they're practically a staple, so it's worth asking if you don't see them listed. Sometimes they come as thin-sliced rounds, so if you want the stick-shaped ones, you can confirm that they are "bastoncini". You can even find pizza with fries on it - very popular with teenagers. Ketchup and mayonnaise are usually available for the fries, but the ketchup is not usually Heinz.

Maybe?!?!?! :p

I do like to eat nice dinners when I'm in Italy -- but keep in mind it's usually only an all-too-brief vacation, not a lengthy stay.

When on driving trips in Europe, we confess to using McDonalds for.an easy potty stop. You generally need to buy something to get a code for the restroom, so we. Get either one diet coke or a coffee. Many of the outlets have a separate coffee bar inside with pastries, croissants, macarons, etc. The coffee is acceptably good and one of the few places we have found it 'to go'. I know that is not de rigeur in Europe, but if we're on a day trip I enjoy a cup while on the road.

We DID eat there once several trips ago. It was a Sunday, most places were closed, and we just wanted a quick bite vs. a typical long lunch. Well, that was the last time we ever did that too, it was awful! Definitely not made for an American palate.

LOL Had to chuckle……. good luck with the butter thing……

In Italy bread is served with olive oil - sometimes with herbs to add.

Our 4th trip to Italy we had my MIL/FIL with us. When they would serve us bread my MIL would ask for butter….they looked at her REAL funny ! Some restaurants had it - some did not.

I agree that McD's make for good potty stops….the one in Rome down from the Trevi does not have a code for the bathroom - but the line is always long !!! And their food is NOT like USA McD's - altho I usually do not eat there.

OP, don't be too hard on your 13 year old. I'm a 68 year old and don't acclimate well to foreign foods.

While I love to travel and do sometimes try different foods, I would be considered a picky American eater.

I have eaten at McDonalds in Italy, Germany, Holland, England, Greece, Hungary, Switzerland, and Australia. And I disagree with other posters saying the food isn't the same. It certainly tastes like home to me. And after 4 weeks of traveling in Europe, those Golden Arches were a welcome sight and a lot cheaper than most restaurants.

Now my friend (85) was really a tough nut to crack. She refused to eat hard Italian bread (kept looking for American style sandwiches) and she hates pasta, but she also refused to eat at McDonald's. She went hungry many nights with crackers & tuna packets (she had brought from home).

We did try pizza a number of times, but it doesn't compare to pizza at home, it is totally different. And we both dropped coffee and switched to tea while in Europe. And we learned to take a container of "International Coffee". While it is instant, it beats what Europeans serve.

We often laugh now when we think about our various encounters throughout Europe. Hungary was another destination that proved difficult with our American palates. My friend insists the Paprika in Hungary is much stronger than what we have here in the US and they definitely use a lot of it in their dishes.

So while you may be adventurous and willing to try anything, I understand why your daughter may not. You will both have a great trip regardless of the food you eat.

There is actually an American Johnny Rocket's-style diner in Florence south of the Basilica Santa Maria Novella at Via del Moro 85. My wife and I saw young Italians flocking into it while we were eating in the square outside at Trattoria al Trebbio. Ask any young people you see on the streets; they'll probably know where it is. Good luck finding butter, though there are hamburgers available in some of the touristy restaurants in the area (have no idea if they're any good or not). For gelato, I recommend Grom near the Duomo. I don't recall seeing hamburgers on any restaurant menus in Venice, but we weren't looking for them.

Edited by Langoustine

There is actually an American Johnny Rocket's-style diner in Florence south of the Basilica Santa Maria Novella at Via del Moro 85. My wife and I saw young Italians flocking into it while we were eating in the square outside at Trattoria al Trebbio. Ask any young people you see on the streets; they'll probably know where it is. Good luck finding butter, though there are hamburgers available in some of the touristy restaurants in the area (have no idea if they're any good or not). For gelato, I recommend Grom near the Duomo. I don't recall seeing hamburgers on any restaurant menus in Venice, but we weren't looking for them.

I recommend trying both Grom and Perché No, also quite near the Duomo, for a fun comparison. Grom is very creamy gelato, made and served with care, and kept undercover in special containers. Perché No is very traditional gelato, with a huge variety of flavours, displayed with decorative and showy style. Both are delicious, but very different!

Edited by lisiamc

And we learned to take a container of "International Coffee". While it is instant, it beats what Europeans serve.

The advice of anyone who thinks they can sensibly generalise about the coffee served in 20+ countries from Norway to Spain and Ireland to Greece really can't be taken too seriously.

Stuart

I don't know how anyone could not love the coffee in Italy--even the espresso from the rolling carts on the Freccia trains last month was great. Though you will get the fish-eye trying to order the wrong type of coffee at the wrong time of day...

I don't know how anyone could not love the coffee in Italy--even the espresso from the rolling carts on the Freccia trains last month was great. Though you will get the fish-eye trying to order the wrong type of coffee at the wrong time of day...

I'm totally with you. I've spent considerable time and energy trying to duplicate the Italian espresso at home. ;) I've come to realize it simply tastes better in Italy, so I keep going back. Or at least, that's my story....

A lot of reasons things taste different in Italy and coffe being the main one is that italy has some of the best water in the world.It is really the only place not to drink bottled water,but fill empyt ones form the fountains.Not my opinion...just saying.

A lot of reasons things taste different in Italy and coffe being the main one is that italy has some of the best water in the world.It is really the only place not to drink bottled water,but fill empyt ones form the fountains.Not my opinion...just saying.

And everything is fresh…… produce, seafood and meats etc…..

Our palates are so used to the ginormous amounts of preservatives, additives etc. they put in our food we don't know "good" stuff anymore……. well some of us don't. I just got back Mid May from 2+ weeks and I crave the real food ! I even stopped having itchy breakouts (probably from food additives) while over there.

As for the coffee - I can sort of agree altho once I acquired the taste I enjoy it. And Turkish coffee - oh my….. the first 2 or 3 times I had it I puckered ….. but last trip I enjoyed it - ALOT ……. funny thing is I don't see all the hype over gelato :eek: Go figure. Its good but meh……. nothing to get all excited over.

I've spent considerable time and energy trying to duplicate the Italian espresso at home. ;) I've come to realize it simply tastes better in Italy, so I keep going back. Or at least, that's my story....

I agree with your story---and your theory. My wife and I are going back next year for two weeks starting in Rome and heading south. Last month we did two weeks in Milan, Florence and Venice. The food--if you avoid the places catering to tourists (the worst lunch we've ever had anywhere was in a place a half-block from the train station in Florence while we were walking to our hotel on Via Panzani)--is usually very, very good. We even had good food at some touristy places on the Grand Canal in Venice (where 30 years ago--the first time I was there--it was sometimes terrible). Lavazzi and Ally coffee is now sold here in NYC at Food Emporium, but it's so expensive per pound I think I will wait to return to Italy next year and let someone else make it for me...

Edited by Langoustine