Beach in Old San Juan

julescruisin

We will be docking in Old San Juan on our Carnival Splendor cruise from 3pm to 11pm on Sat. July 18th. It will be our first time visiting Puerto Rico and we love the beach~it has been a rough winter and all 8 of us just want to relax under a palm tree!!!! Can anyone recommend a beach near the port or any other sights we just shouldn't miss. We want to enjoy every moment on Puerto Rico!!! Thanks so much and Happy Cruising!!! :D

We will be docking in Old San Juan on our Carnival Splendor cruise from 3pm to 11pm on Sat. July 18th. It will be our first time visiting Puerto Rico and we love the beach~it has been a rough winter and all 8 of us just want to relax under a palm tree!!!! Can anyone recommend a beach near the port or any other sights we just shouldn't miss. We want to enjoy every moment on Puerto Rico!!! Thanks so much and Happy Cruising!!! :D

There really aren't any beaches in Old San Juan but there are beaches nearby and a short cab ride away. The Condado beaches are the closest but I've never been so I don't know exactly how much time it would take, but guessing maybe around 10 minutes. We stayed at a hotel in Isla Verde Beach, San Juan, per-cruise two years ago. Isla Verde Beach is right near San Juan International airport. The cab ride to Isla Verde Beach is about 20 minutes. We liked Isla Verde and would stay there again.

If you decide to just stay in Old San Juan, I'd say the forts are a "shouldn't miss". We really enjoyed seeing El Morro, beautiful fort with great views. San Cristobal is the other fort and the one closest to the ship. We didn't go inside that one (it's a must do for us next time) but were on the grounds to get pictures of our ship. There are great views from San Cristobal of the ocean and also where the ships dock.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We spent a week in Puerto Rico a couple years ago and the Condado beach was within walking distance of our hotel. It was a nice beach and like the previous poster said only about 10 minutes from Old San Juan.

There is a beach at the Carib Hilton and at the park next to the Hilton to the left. I enjoy the forts as well. I also recommend a rainforest tour if you like small hikes and waterfalls.

Edited by HAULNTA

San Juan is such a great place to visit. As others have said beaches are really not the prime thing to see there.... the Forts are awesome for views and history. The city is also just fun to walk around. If you need to go to the beach... there are a few things to consider.... do you want the sand of a beach or to play in the water? There is a nice little public beach next to the Condado Plaza Hilton Hotel (a short cab ride from the port) that has nice sand and very quiet water (in a lagoon) If you want more waves and bigger surf... go over to the Isla Verde area closer to the Airport. My opinion is to do a beach day on another stop and just go quickly up to San Cristobal fort (about 2 blocks from the pier) Then over to el Morro (you can get in to both forts for $5 person) they close around 5:30 then you have time to explore the city after sunset. Sunset at El Morro is fantastic.

I go to PR every July and can say that the beaches get packed on the weekend that time of year. It is official beach season to the locals. If you want to take a dip I'd recommend the small beach next to the Condado Plaza, it's right over the bridge after the Caribe Hilton. The benefits are that the water is flat calm and crystal clear because it is protected by rocks. You can rent chairs at the hotel and order drinks. Starbucks is close by and there is a shish-kebob, burger hotdog and fresh coconut stand.

Beach: conrad-san-juan-condado.jpg

I think your best bet if arriving in the afternoon is to hang out in Old San Juan, there is lots to do and the pier should be loaded with local artisans. El Morro Fort closes at 4 so you may want to dash up there as soon as you arrive. Then you can go down San Sebastian street to check out the old church and maybe grab a bite at the old convent. You can and walk towards the ship area from there and grab a piña colada at it's birthplace. OSJ is a beautiful place with lots of history, the police are everywhere making sure everything runs smoothly.

Piña Colada birthplace: http://www.barrachina.com/index.html

The closest beach to the port is in Ocean Park, and there is a hotel there called Numero Uno where you can get a day pass. Includes lunch at Pamela's Restaurant, lounger & umbrella. Condado Beach where all the hi rise hotels is a bit further along, followed by Isla Verde, where Carnival has an excursion. The best beach is Loquillo, but that is even further away.

Look up the Ocean Park site on Trip Advisor, it has fantastic reviews.

The closest beach to the port is in Ocean Park, and there is a hotel there called Numero Uno where you can get a day pass. Includes lunch at Pamela's Restaurant, lounger & umbrella. Condado Beach where all the hi rise hotels is a bit further along, followed by Isla Verde, where Carnival has an excursion. The best beach is Loquillo, but that is even further away.

Ocean park is farther out than Condado.

I found all the San Juan /Condado area beaches to be quite rough and below par for a true beach lover. I'd focus on seeing the forts and maybe the bacardi factory.

I can second this - the forts are just spectacular! Particularly if this is your first trip there. I have seen them twice now and plan to see them again this spring. Perfect day in old San Juan is take the trolleys to the forts then walk around and sample some of the great bars in Old San Juan then mosey on down outside the walls of the city (There is a park just outside with some statues and was a little bazaar/market place when we were there) and look at the houses of San Juan peeking up above the fortifying walls. We walked all over, but Trolleys take you pretty much anywhere you want to go. Enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157445

Short review about my beach day in OSJ. :)

San Juan is such a great place to visit. As others have said beaches are really not the prime thing to see there.... the Forts are awesome for views and history. The city is also just fun to walk around. If you need to go to the beach... there are a few things to consider.... do you want the sand of a beach or to play in the water? There is a nice little public beach next to the Condado Plaza Hilton Hotel (a short cab ride from the port) that has nice sand and very quiet water (in a lagoon) If you want more waves and bigger surf... go over to the Isla Verde area closer to the Airport. My opinion is to do a beach day on another stop and just go quickly up to San Cristobal fort (about 2 blocks from the pier) Then over to el Morro (you can get in to both forts for $5 person) they close around 5:30 then you have time to explore the city after sunset. Sunset at El Morro is fantastic.

Dirkgun~Thank you so much for your advice, we may just have to forget about the beach in San Juan. That's OK, it seems there is plenty to see and do to keep us all busy!!! Thanks again and Happy Cruising!!!

I go to PR every July and can say that the beaches get packed on the weekend that time of year. It is official beach season to the locals. If you want to take a dip I'd recommend the small beach next to the Condado Plaza, it's right over the bridge after the Caribe Hilton. The benefits are that the water is flat calm and crystal clear because it is protected by rocks. You can rent chairs at the hotel and order drinks. Starbucks is close by and there is a shish-kebob, burger hotdog and fresh coconut stand.

Beach: conrad-san-juan-condado.jpg

I think your best bet if arriving in the afternoon is to hang out in Old San Juan, there is lots to do and the pier should be loaded with local artisans. El Morro Fort closes at 4 so you may want to dash up there as soon as you arrive. Then you can go down San Sebastian street to check out the old church and maybe grab a bite at the old convent. You can and walk towards the ship area from there and grab a piña colada at it's birthplace. OSJ is a beautiful place with lots of history, the police are everywhere making sure everything runs smoothly.

Piña Colada birthplace: http://www.barrachina.com/index.html

bigbeatzz~Thanks so much for your suggestions, it seems the beach is out for San Juan and beautiful, historic sightseeing is in!!! It is our first time in San Juan and it sounds like there is plenty to see and do. Thanks again and Happy Cruising!!!

Evanandbob, How far away are the Numero Uno and Loquillo beaches? We are arriving in San Juan at 3pm and not leaving until 11pm. It is unusual port times but we figured maybe some beach and then sightseeing in Old San Juan. Thank you again and I will be looking up those beaches and hotels yuou suggested!! Happy Cruising!!

I do understand the love for beaches...that being said. I would have to agree with others who have stated enjoy OSJ. It is a very fun place to explore!!

But I just found this info about beaches near OSJ and wanted to share it with you:

We know you came to Puerto Rico to enjoy our warm climate and also beaches!

The 2 closest beaches to Old San Juan are:

• La 8 - accross from out Capitol (Legislature on 25R) there is a staircase that leads you right onto a reefed beach.
  • El Escambron Beach - one of our Blue Flag beaches, 1 mile from the Castillo San Cristobal on Road 25R (Ave Muñoz Rivera.

So you may be able to walk to the beach and enjoy a little time there and then explore the city!! Not exactly sure how to get their from the pier, but just check google maps.

Enjoy!!

Escambron is a good choice but could be packed on a Saturday afternoon. The downside of it being a blue flag beach is that you can't bring almost anything into the water aside from yourself. Forget a Frisbee or anything of that nature.

You are in port long enough to do both the old city and the beach. It all depends if you want to go in the fort, i am sure not everyone does. Maybe beach first then on your return a walk around OSJ. I guess depends how adventurous you are.

If you choose OSJ guided fort tour is a must and i too bought a beach package, food and drinks included for under $50.00

• 3 weeks later...

We are arriving in San Juan at 7am and leaving already at 1pm.

Our plan is to walk to Playa Escambron and enjoy the scenery on the way. Wouldn't stay long at the beach, just take some pictures and continue to stroll along the beach at the water's edge. Then we'd like to take a taxi to La Plaza Las Americas for a short visit.

Would it be easy to get a taxi by the Escambron beach? Or do we need to walk much further (maybe up to Caribe Hilton hotel) to find a taxi?

How much time should we allow to make our way by taxi back to the port from the Plaza?