New dinning package?

Re-reading T&C. The up charge is premium + one of your days.

So you could buy a 3 day package and have 2*Cagneys then 1*cirque by paying the upcharge.

By the same token, for those sushi lovers, I take it to mean for example, 2 Cagneys and 1 shushi meal with an upcharge.

The dining package allows you to eat at as many specialty places as you want so it's not one place per day. You could go to two different places on the same day. Have an appetizer in one place, main course in another and dessert in a third. I have e-mailed Public relations about if the upcharge prices are good the entire cruise on the partial plans or counts as usage and if sushi is AYCE.

If NCL trying to get people to be lifelong travelers sailing with them, they are doing a good job.[emoji16] I wish they had this last year, I prefer the choice of the 3 day dining plan for $69.69 for a 7 day trip than buying the full 7 day one for $140.42 - not just for economical reasons but also the personal preference of having a choice in when to dine out at a specialty restaurant instead of being obligated to go every night due to getting one's money's worth back.

When they used to sell 3 specialty restaurant packages you were not permitted to go to multiple restaurants on the same day. Not sure why some folks think that will be allowed when purchasing under the new plan, especially with just a few days purchased. If it were indeed the case people could go for sushi at lunch, appetizers at La Cucina, go the the Cirque show followed by dinner at Cagney's and stop in for a fruit and chocolate fondue at Le Bistro afterwards. I cannot see them letting this happen.

Perhaps when their computer system is set up to facilitate these new dining plans it will deduct a day every time you visit a new venue. This would eliminate multiple venue visits in one day and not only have the potential to save the company some money but make more dining spots available for a wider range of guests.

Rochelle

Rochelle

When they used to sell 3 specialty restaurant packages you were not permitted to go to multiple restaurants on the same day. Not sure why some folks think that will be allowed when purchasing under the new plan, especially with just a few days purchased. If it were indeed the case people could go for sushi at lunch, appetizers at La Cucina, go the the Cirque show followed by dinner at Cagney's and stop in for a fruit and chocolate fondue at Le Bistro afterwards. I cannot see them letting this happen.

Perhaps when their computer system is set up to facilitate these new dining plans it will deduct a day every time you visit a new venue. This would eliminate multiple venue visits in one day and not only have the potential to save the company some money but make more dining spots available for a wider range of guests.

Rochelle

Rochelle

Rochelle, you may very well be correct, however I think this new plan will end up benefitting a great many more people than it will harm. I know in my case that I never would have used the UDP more than once in a day, and that it always seemed a waste to me as I also enjoy the MDR when on a cruise. For me, a 4 night plan on a 7 day sailing will be perfect, giving me flexibility while saving me a few bucks in the bargain. Personally, I am extremely pleased with this new offer. Well done NCL! :)

Rochelle, you may very well be correct, however I think this new plan will end up benefitting a great many more people than it will harm. I know in my case that I never would have used the UDP more than once in a day, and that it always seemed a waste to me as I also enjoy the MDR when on a cruise. For me, a 4 night plan on a 7 day sailing will be perfect, giving me flexibility while saving me a few bucks in the bargain. Personally, I am extremely pleased with this new offer. Well done NCL! :)

I'm with you, I think it is great. Even though I eat only in the specialty restaurants and would still purchase the program for every night of my cruise, this program will give those the opportunity to eat in a few of them if they wish. Good job NCL!

Also, I would have no issue if they restricted it to only 1 restaurant per day/night.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I know of folks who wouldn't buy the UBP package due to the number of port days, figuring they wouldn't be on the ship long enough those days. If they were to come out with similar multi-day packages for the UBP, they'd really be happy. Not sure how'd NCL would work out the logistics for it though - or how one would indicate which days you'd be UBP vs. days not on UBP but still buying drinks OOP.

I think the reason for this new rate structure is that the specialty dining restaurants on the ships aren't designed to accommodate all the people who were getting the UDP "free" as part of the promotions. Most people don't want to eat every meal in the specialty dining restaurants, but gosh darn it, if they paid for it, they're going to use it! This way, there's no perverse incentive to book specialty dining throughout the entire trip.

I chose the free drinks package for our June 27th getaway cruise as my freebie.

had decided the UDP wasnt worth $140 each for 7 nights as unless u eat in cagneys every night there isnt a great saving

Was quite tempted to take maybe the 3 or 4 night version of this but if your sailing AFTER july 31st your only offered the old 7 day package. boo!

Edited by weebobby

I know of folks who wouldn't buy the UBP package due to the number of port days, figuring they wouldn't be on the ship long enough those days. If they were to come out with similar multi-day packages for the UBP, they'd really be happy. Not sure how'd NCL would work out the logistics for it though - or how one would indicate which days you'd be UBP vs. days not on UBP but still buying drinks OOP.
I agree, the logistics are probably too annoying for them to offer a fully flexible package. But they could offer two versions of the UBP for port-intensive cruises: one that's good for the entire cruise, and one that includes only the sea days (and maybe embarkation/disembarkation day). The second one should cost less overall than the first one, of course, but the price per day should be higher. Then they would just need two different stickers to distinguish the two packages.

I also wish they would consider lowering the per day price of the UBP for longer cruises (like over 14 days). I can't imagine that they sell a lot of stickers on those cruises at the current price.

Its lacking details,but doesn't appear to be a glitch. Its says you can tailor it to the days you want.

With our Specialty Dining Packages, you can savor an array of tastes and unique experiences at our specialty restaurants for one set price. Enjoy the package your entire cruise or tailor it to your schedule by selecting the number of days that you want.*

SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

You may purchase it online under our "Dining" section by logging into ncl.com/myncl or through any Norwegian Reservations Team Member. You may also purchase it onboard on the first or second day of your cruise. For three and four day cruises, this package may only be purchased on the first day of your cruise. Please call or visit the Reservations Desk or visit any restaurant reservations podium.

IS THERE A MINMUM AMOUNT OF DAYS I HAVE TO PURCHASE?

Yes, a minimum of 3 days is required.

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty dining packages are honored in all Specialty Steakhouses, Churrascarias, French, Japanese, and Italian restaurants. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges:

•The Supper Club - $15

•Ocean Blue - $15

•Bayamo - $10

•Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway

•Sushi -$7

•Raw Bar - $7

•Pincho Tapas Bar - $7

HOW CAN I MAKE DINING RESERVATIONS FOR A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Once you have purchased a Specialty Dining Package, you can make any dining reservation online under "Dining" by logging into ncl.com/myncl or through any Norwegian Reservations Team Member. Reservations for Cirque Dreams/Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium must by made under "Entertainment." You can also make a reservation onboard the ship by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk, visit any restaurant reservations podium or visit the box office for Cirque Dreams/Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium reservations.

CAN I MAKE A DINING RESERVATION FOR THOSE PARTICIPATING IN A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE TOGETHER WITH THOSE WHO ARE NOT PARTICIPATING?

Yes. Simply make your reservation at ncl.com/myncl or through any Norwegian Reservations Team Member. You can also make a reservation onboard the ship by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk, visiting any restaurant reservations podium or visiting the box office for Cirque Dreams/Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium reservations. Applicable cover charges apply for those who have not purchased the Ultimate Dining Package.

WHAT IF MY TRAVELING COMPANION DOESN’T WANT TO BUY A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE, DO THEY STILL HAVE TO PURCHASE IT?

No, guests staying in the same stateroom do not need to purchase the package. Specialty Dining Packages may be purchased individually.

CAN I BUY DINNER FOR MY FRIENDS WITH A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Specialty Dining Packages are for personal consumption. If you wish to pay for someone else’s dinner, you will incur in regular cover charges for their consumption.

HOW WILL THE RESTAURANT STAFF KNOW I HAVE PURCHASED A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Your room keycard will be coded as well as tagged with a sticker and used for identification. The restaurant staff will request to see your room keycard for verification prior to service. So keep it handy.

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

No, an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package.

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

ARE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES INCLUDED IN SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

Specialty Dining Packages do not include alcohol, but we offer a wide range of beverage packages, including the Ultimate Beverage Package, Cork & Caps and Viva Vino. For more information about our beverage packages, please check out ncl.com "Gifts & More" or visit any bar onboard the ship on the first day of your cruise.

Terms & Conditions

Specialty Dining Packages are available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. Specialty Dining Packages are not available on 1- and 2-day sailings. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No kids pricing available. Specialty Dining Packages are non transferable. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. Carlo's Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef's Table, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment based restaurants, Bayamo, Ocean Blue restaurants, and beverages are not included as part of Specialty Dining Packages. You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15), Ocean Blue ($15), Bayamo ($10), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7), and Raw Bar ($7). Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00.

I agree, the logistics are probably too annoying for them to offer a fully flexible package. But they could offer two versions of the UBP for port-intensive cruises: one that's good for the entire cruise, and one that includes only the sea days (and maybe embarkation/disembarkation day). The second one should cost less overall than the first one, of course, but the price per day should be higher. Then they would just need two different stickers to distinguish the two packages.

I also wish they would consider lowering the per day price of the UBP for longer cruises (like over 14 days). I can't imagine that they sell a lot of stickers on those cruises at the current price.

Maybe they would consider offering a drinks card, where you could opt to buy anywheres from an average of 3 drinks per day (21 drinks in a seven day sailing) all the way up to the unlimited option. You could drink your beverages whenever you liked, and if you drank more than your package included, then you'd pay full price for the balance of the cruise. It would be giving the passenger a choice once again, just like the new dining package does. :)

had decided the UDP wasnt worth $140 each for 7 nights as unless u eat in cagneys every night there isnt a great saving

Was quite tempted to take maybe the 3 or 4 night version of this but if your sailing AFTER july 31st your only offered the old 7 day package. boo!

I believe you're in error my friend. I just purchased a 6 day plan for my 12 day booking in October and it went through without incident. I'm a most happy fella! :D

Trying to see if anyone has figured this out by making reservations. Say I buy the 5 night package and then I want to do the Illusionarium. Does that $10 deal count as one of my 5 nights, or would it be 5 nights in specialty restaurants plus 6th night in the Illusionarium?

I think the reason for this new rate structure is that the specialty dining restaurants on the ships aren't designed to accommodate all the people who were getting the UDP "free" as part of the promotions. Most people don't want to eat every meal in the specialty dining restaurants, but gosh darn it, if they paid for it, they're going to use it! This way, there's no perverse incentive to book specialty dining throughout the entire trip.

I'm a little confused by what you said. For those who got the "free" UDP (as I did for a 2016 cruise) how does this not give me an incentive to book a specialty every night? Except to maybe look a little closer at the shows/restaurants seeing as the upcharge isn't that much?

This is very good news for people who don't already have the UDP as a promotion. I expect people who had to buy it for the entire length of their upcoming cruises will now start complaining loudly about NCL changing things without prior notice. But I suppose they can still get it refunded.

Yes, the 18% is factored in. The base price of the 6-day UDP is $104 per person.

Nevermind.

Edited by $hip$hape

I believe you're in error my friend. I just purchased a 6 day plan for my 12 day booking in October and it went through without incident. I'm a most happy fella! :D

Bob, how much was the specialty service charge?

Trying to see if anyone has figured this out by making reservations. Say I buy the 5 night package and then I want to do the Illusionarium. Does that $10 deal count as one of my 5 nights, or would it be 5 nights in specialty restaurants plus 6th night in the Illusionarium?

It counts as one of your 5. It is a surcharge above your std restaurants.

So in theory if you were to have ate at a $25 restaurant that night the illusionarium is effectively costing you $35.

I'm a little confused by what you said. For those who got the "free" UDP (as I did for a 2016 cruise) how does this not give me an incentive to book a specialty every night? Except to maybe look a little closer at the shows/restaurants seeing as the upcharge isn't that much?

You have the option EVERY night so why would you bother with a complementary dining room option because you can. I.e. Let's go back to Cagneys or Bistro a 2nd/3rd time rather than the MDR.

The limited day packages would mean outside the qty of days it's a high probability the customer would eat in the MDR or buffet.

Edited by Single Cruiser

your right it was a mistake in my typing. sorry i meant write BEFORE. should have read:

Was quite tempted to take maybe the 3 or 4 night version of this but if your sailing BEFORE july 31st your only offered the old 7 day package. boo!

Bob, how much was the specialty service charge?

Hello Snowrose! It was 122.72 including the gratuitie and specialty service charge. I'm not sure of the exact breakdown though. Whatever the 18% comes to I guess. :rolleyes:

your right it was a mistake in my typing. sorry i meant write BEFORE. should have read:

Was quite tempted to take maybe the 3 or 4 night version of this but if your sailing BEFORE july 31st your only offered the old 7 day package. boo!

Damn, that is rotten luck, I'd be disappointed too! :(