Items/Memorabilia You Bring Back

qsuzi

I almost got arrested in Haifa at the Baha'i Temple and Gardens. There were long paths made of white stones (at least billions of them) throughout the property. I picked up a stone to bring home in the same manner others have mentioned here. I put the stone in my bag, we preceded to view the Baha'i Faith temple. When we exited, I was approached by a security guard who expressed their displeasure I had picked up a stone along the paths. We were three two couples traveling together and we were shocked. I certainly apologized quickly and off we went. :o

I do think it a lovely custom, Ruth. I always place a stone on my family's headstone when I visit all their graves. My father, mother, sister and DH are all together.

Edited by sail7seas

I bring back a small stone from every cruise.

My husband and I cruised a lot together. There are two flower vases on his gravestone, so, since my first cruise after his death, I have placed a stone in the vase to signify I thought of him on my cruise.

Those vases are getting full! But there's still room for more. ;)

Oh Ruth, how sweet.

I thought my DH was the only one that did that. he has a collection in his office from every spot he has been to.

I just think that is so touching that you do that.

Long may you fill those vases :D

My DW likes to collect crosses from each area we visit and she has a wall for them in the living room.

I collect crosses too, I make sure I write on the back where they came from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't take decorative or landscaping stones, or even gravel, Sail. I dig a small stone out of the dirt.

Now, should I be concerned that I am bringing back foreign soil to the US? Since it's pretty well brushed off by then, I don't think so.

My husband and I cruised a lot together. There are two flower vases on his gravestone, so, since my first cruise after his death, I have placed a stone in the vase to signify I thought of him on my cruise.

RuthC, what a lovely thing to do. Keep filling those vases!

A very sweet sentiment.

For myself, I like mugs, too.....but I've called a halt as all the cabinets are full, and we just don't break them as often as we did when our kids were home!

For the grandkids, I buy socks.....a pair from Alaska with Inuit totem poles, a pair from Australia with aboriginal designs, etc. they are small and easy to pack, and I know you can never have too many socks for a child as they are always losing one. They seem to like them, and no one complains when they are worn out or lost. (Probably all made in China, but still fun for the kids, and a reasonable price for a souvenir....important as we have 8 grandchildren!)

Barbara M. In NH

I usually don't buy lots of stuff/trinkets, but last year on my trip to Alaska, I stopped in a place called the Rain Barrel (liked the name) in Ketchikan. The shop had lots of native items, art, carvings, etc. I buy masks sometimes for the patio, so looked at the native carvings. My niece eyeballed one that was quite different and ultimately decided to purchase it. It wasn't expensive and I had it sent.

It is called a Thunderbird, and they are supposed to come down from the sky and shoot fire from their eyes, he is such a noble bird. Well, I set him up on a shelf in the kitchen, and that darn thunderbird does indeed shoot fire from his eyes. The eyes are mother-of-pearl and the mask is well carved and handpainted. Very pretty. The shop sent me information about native stories of the area and also about the artist with his address. Every time I see that T-bird I certainly have truly fond memories of that wonderful Alaskan trip.

Marianne

I have a collection of small pieces of pottery/sculptures/crafts from places we've visited. Unfortunately, the mantle is almost full. There's a shell basket from Fanning Island, faience from Quimper, Belgian lace, an Irish man fashioned from peat, and more. I have a Panama mola tote bag that has traveled the world with me. So it isn't just one type of thing, but usually something that uniquely reminds me of a visit.

In Tallinn, I bought a wool sweater for 1/10 the price of the same design in Norway. In Helsinki, bought an art egg (painted, not gilded). In St. Petersburg we bought a fur hat and painted box. In Holland bought cheese, Delft (at the factory) and cards at the Rijksmuseum. Tulip bulbs must have certificates or customs will seize them.

In the past we have bought souvenirs for friends: rosaries from Rome, mantillas in Spain and Salmon in both Alaska and Iceland.

Glenn:cool:

I've enjoyed reading about all the memorabilia ideas and there are some very special and creative ideas. Ruth, your collecting of stones especially touched my heart. Collecting memorabilia is a special part of our cruise experiences.

Since I am an artist, I always look for examples of local handicrafts: molas in Panama, fabrics, and decorated gourds from the casba ? tree. The gourds are beautifully decorated, light weight and virtually indestructible. I purchased small one from an elderly gentleman at an outdoor shop at an archaeological ruin outside Lima, Peru. I paid around $30 for it. He gave me a brochure to go with it. It is very intricately decorated and as I studied the name on the bottom and the brochure (and googled the name) I realized that this gentleman and his family are famous for their art work and his work is in museums! It is a very special memento of a great day. :)

Karen

That's a great story. I always try to buy something that is local art. I have brought home watercolors from street artists and from local artists who have opened their home studios to show us their art, Icons from a famous a artist in Romania, carvings from Inuit artists in the arctic. Lots of diverse items, but always quality art and only from local artists. One thing we always try to do is to photograph the artist, holding the item and keep it with item we bring home, (you never know, a street artist today might be famous tomorrow).

Mrs Banjo & I rarely will buy "stuff". We prefer quality art and supporting the artists with our souvenier dollars.

That's a great story. I always try to buy something that is local art. I have brought home watercolors from street artists and from local artists who have opened their home studios to show us their art, Icons from a famous a artist in Romania, carvings from Inuit artists in the arctic. Lots of diverse items, but always quality art and only from local artists. One thing we always try to do is to photograph the artist, holding the item and keep it with item we bring home, (you never know, a street artist today might be famous tomorrow).

Mrs Banjo & I rarely will buy "stuff". We prefer quality art and supporting the artists with our souvenier dollars.

This is terrific. I love the idea of photographing the artist with his art work. One of your future ancestors may have a photo of the next Monet holding a lovely painting. :D

Edited by sail7seas

This is terrific. I love the idea of photographing the artist with his art work. One of your future ancestors may have a photo of the next Monet holding a lovely painting. :D

Did you mean descendants?

What collectables, items or memorabilia, if/any, do you bring back from a cruise? For us it's just minor things like refrigerator magnets or spoons to remember where we have been. We also bring back things unique to the port/place for our friends and family.

Playing cards if we can find them.

Postcards.

Something small that is locally made.

We no longer get magnets, shot glasses or spoons. When we moved into a smaller home we didn't have room for them so most are still packed.

I do the same. I have turned several key chains into ornaments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My mother likes to buy ornaments for herself when she travels, and she also gives all her kids an ornament every year as well. She has had to make them herself many times. She couldn't find anything she liked on a British Isles cruise, so she bought three pairs of earrings and asked me to make ornaments out of them. They were fairly small, so I added beads from my favorite bead shop.

P1100788.jpg.3bdac45bc057535522464a8b2eba1391.jpg

When gsrunyan mentioned Tallinn, it reminded me of my most unique souvenir: I have a plate and several screws in my ankle from Tallinn. I also have a longer screw that was removed after I returned home, and I keep it in a little specimen jar. These are from a compound fracture to my ankle that I suffered on a shore excursion. (I tripped over a little step at St. Bridget's Convent.) And yes, my avatar is my x-ray. :o

I much prefer to bring home refrigerator magnets and Christmas tree ornaments. Sometimes I collect small boxes as well. I've actually been collecting bookmarks since Jr. High School, but they're not as easy to find as magnets, and with limited time in port I don't come across them that often.

Love this thread and everyone's contributions, especially the sentimental ones. We get the usual magnets and Christmas ornaments when I can find them, and something consumable for our sons. I also buy Christmas gifts for my female relatives. I got embroidered totes from Turkey, embroidered evening bags from the handcrafters in Guatemala, jewelry from crafters in Costa Rica, and this year a set of handpainted Christmas ornaments from a shop in Lima.

I also try to get an inexpensive pair of earrings for myself (I lose them so expensive is not so good...). A favorite is a pair made by a mother of a newborn (our guide's wife) in Belize and I think of them every time I wear them. Speaking of made in China...to be avoided most places...but in China this year I got a silk jacket from the silk factory where we saw the process all the way back to the silk worms, and a piece of jade at the jade factory. Probably not a good deal on that (silk was a fantastic deal) but I learned a lot about jade, enough to decide what I bought at the handicraft place at Santo Tomas, Guatemala (along with those purses) is likely real. If HAL still goes there, don't miss the handicrafts at the port. Beautiful things at reasonable prices and a way to help hardworking people in a place where there is so much poverty.

You often find watercolour artists painting at various places. I take a photo of the artist (with permission) of the scene he is painting, buy the painting, have it framed once home and then glue the photo to the back of the frame. It's a great way to bring back memories.

What a wonderful idea! I really appreciate everyone's advice on this board, especially Cruisebanjo and the great idea of bringing back bookmarks I try to find local handicrafts, which in the past have been bamboo vases, pottery, molas and masks. However my real love is silver jewelry. I bring back pendants and then make my own necklaces, or buy rings and bracelets. I have lovely pieces from a Mexican craft studio in Zacatecas. I get a flashback ever time I put on a different piece. :)

For those of you that cannot find Christmas ornaments, there are lots of fab ideas on Pinterest showing how to make ornaments out of maps.

And RuthC, what a lovely person you are! I always enjoy reading your posts and now this makes me even fonder. Bless you!

Edited by guinnesshalfpint

Love this thread and everyone's contributions, especially the sentimental ones. We get the usual magnets and Christmas ornaments when I can find them, and something consumable for our sons. I also buy Christmas gifts for my female relatives. I got embroidered totes from Turkey, embroidered evening bags from the handcrafters in Guatemala, jewelry from crafters in Costa Rica, and this year a set of handpainted Christmas ornaments from a shop in Lima.

I also try to get an inexpensive pair of earrings for myself (I lose them so expensive is not so good...). A favorite is a pair made by a mother of a newborn (our guide's wife) in Belize and I think of them every time I wear them. Speaking of made in China...to be avoided most places...but in China this year I got a silk jacket from the silk factory where we saw the process all the way back to the silk worms, and a piece of jade at the jade factory. Probably not a good deal on that (silk was a fantastic deal) but I learned a lot about jade, enough to decide what I bought at the handicraft place at Santo Tomas, Guatemala (along with those purses) is likely real. If HAL still goes there, don't miss the handicrafts at the port. Beautiful things at reasonable prices and a way to help hardworking people in a place where there is so much poverty.

Thank you for mention of handcrafts in Guatemala. I agree some of those people are very talented and produce beautiful handmade items.

We were browsing the handcrafts area at the port when I spotted a folded piece of lovely cotton, very colorful and hand embroidered. When I opened it, I was stunned at how beautiful this lady had embroidered the alphabet with each letter the prettiest design. Each had a small item embroidered beside it representing the letter. It was incredible and I was prepared to pay dearly for it. My best friend's daughter was expecting her first baby. The price was so silly moderate, I actually paid more than asked, It was obvious to me the little extra money would be better used by her than me on some silly trinket during our trip. I had it dry cleaned to be sure it was spotless and then framed as a baby gift. My friend, her daughter and all who saw it were thrilled with how very beautifully created this piece is and surely made with love.

Thank you for mention of handcrafts in Guatemala. I agree some of those people are very talented and produce beautiful handmade items.

We were browsing the handcrafts area at the port when I spotted a folded piece of lovely cotton, very colorful and hand embroidered. When I opened it, I was stunned at how beautiful this lady had embroidered the alphabet with each letter the prettiest design. Each had a small item embroidered beside it representing the letter. It was incredible and I was prepared to pay dearly for it. My best friend's daughter was expecting her first baby. The price was so silly moderate, I actually paid more than asked, It was obvious to me the little extra money would be better used by her than me on some silly trinket during our trip. I had it dry cleaned to be sure it was spotless and then framed as a baby gift. My friend, her daughter and all who saw it were thrilled with how very beautifully created this piece is and surely made with love.

What a wonderful gift for the baby and a kind thing for you to do! I am going to look for a cruise that goes there....