Celebrity Summit

goldesq

Curious about a few things on this ship:

1) do they have a movie theater / show movies? I assume they have movies in the room but I know Princess shows movies during the day in their theater and my dad loves that.

2) do they have art auctions on board? I am going to book for the Summit RT Bermuda.

3) does anyone have room service menus that are recent they can post or email me? I will be in a regular balcony (not aqua or concierge so I was curious if a hot breakfast, lunch or dinner could be ordered.

1) do they have a movie theater / show movies? I assume they have movies in the room but I know Princess shows movies during the day in their theater and my dad loves that.

2) do they have art auctions on board? I am going to book for the Summit RT Bermuda.

3) does anyone have room service menus that are recent they can post or email me? I will be in a regular balcony (not aqua or concierge so I was curious if a hot breakfast, lunch or dinner could be ordered.

1. They no longer have a cinema (movie theater) but do show movies outside "under the stars" on some nights. There were no movies shown in the main theater on our Bermuda sailing in May.

2. They have art auctions by Park West onboard.

3. Sorry I do not have a room service menu.

They don't have a movie theater. They showed movies a couple of times outdoors at night, but there were so many other things going on that we didn't get to them.

They have art auctions. I have never attended. I have no desire to buy overpriced art on a cruise ship :)

Sorry, but I don't have the room service menu. They have hot items available, but very simple and limited items in the regular room service menu. The menu is available on your TV in your cabin - you can order from there as well.

Thanks. I didnt even think Movies Under The Stars as I assumed that was only a Princess thing.

I never buy art on the ship...I just like hearing them talk about the artists and art in general.

I havent been on a cruise with hot food (breakfast in particular) for room service (other than burgers for lunch/dinner and I have have sailed Princess, Carnival, RCCL and NCL) so this time, I will try it! Excited to hear it even if its simple items. After an excursion, I am usually hungry bc I have missed lunch or want to skip dinner.

Thanks again everyone. Its my first time on Celebrity so I am excited.

1. They no longer have a cinema (movie theater) but do show movies outside "under the stars" on some nights. There were no movies shown in the main theater on our Bermuda sailing in May.

2. They have art auctions by Park West onboard.

3. Sorry I do not have a room service menu.

OOPS Just realized you went in May. What did you think? I am now waiting for my TA to call me back so I can book for 7/5.

Thanks. I didnt even think Movies Under The Stars as I assumed that was only a Princess thing.

I never buy art on the ship...I just like hearing them talk about the artists and art in general.

I havent been on a cruise with hot food (breakfast in particular) for room service (other than burgers for lunch/dinner and I have have sailed Princess, Carnival, RCCL and NCL) so this time, I will try it! Excited to hear it even if its simple items. After an excursion, I am usually hungry bc I have missed lunch or want to skip dinner.

Thanks again everyone. Its my first time on Celebrity so I am excited.

If you miss lunch, or want to skip dinner, you have many other options besides room service.

They always have something available at the buffet during off-hours. You can get salads, pizza, sandwiches, desserts, etc. They even have this late night (into the early AM). They have afternoon tea around 4:00 (I think that's the time - and its in the Solarium area) and have finger sandwiches, scones, desserts, etc.

You can grab something and bring it back to your room, and eat on your balcony :) We did that a few times - usually mid-afternoon after returning from port.

Being from New York, and being kind of a pizza snob, I was actually surprised that the pizza on the Summit last month was pretty good. In fact, if you happened to get it fresh out of the oven, and it was one of the pizzas that they left in long enough to get slightly charred and crispy, it could have come from a NY pizza shop. (OK, not the really GOOD shops, but the average NY pizza place :)

You'll have a great time - we did :)

Edited by DinaS

Unfortunately, we had terrible weather in Bermuda. And I mean terrible. It was SO windy you could not even walk. The ferry to St. George was canceled 2 out of the 3 days we were there, that's how bad it was. Also NCL Breakaway docks before Summit, so the ferry line gets very long.

I think you will like Celebrity and Summit. The only cruise line you mentioned we have been on is RCCL and we think Celebrity is a step up from them.

You didn't mention if you are in the Crown & Anchor on RCCL because your status in C&A could transfer over to your Celebrity cruise.

Friends of mine are going in July also. It's going to be a busy ship.

If you miss lunch, or want to skip dinner, you have many other options besides room service.

They always have something available at the buffet during off-hours. You can get salads, pizza, sandwiches, desserts, etc. They even have this late night (into the early AM). They have afternoon tea around 4:00 (I think that's the time) and have finger sandwiches, scones, desserts, etc.

You can grab something and bring it back to your room, and eat on your balcony :) We did that a few times - usually mid-afternoon after returning from port.

Being from New York, and being kind of a pizza snob, I was actually surprised that the pizza on the Summit last month was pretty good. In fact, if you happened to get it fresh out of the oven, and it was one of the pizzas that they left in long enough to get slightly charred and crispy, it could have come from a NY pizza shop. (OK, not the really GOOD shops, but the average NY pizza place :)

You'll have a great time - we did :)

I am so glad you mentioned both the pizza and having a good time. I am a pizza snob and a week without pizza scares me. I know on Princess, the pizza is very good but other lines, not good at all. Glad to hear Celebrity rates up there.

I am also relieved to hear you had a good time. Its been a rough couple of weeks and when my dad suggested a cruise, I wondered where we really could go that wouldnt be blazing hot and left from NY/NJ. This really was our only option and I kept hesitating. Never having been on Celebrity, I was curious but having been to Bermuda many times, I wasnt so sure I wanted to go yet again but decided...its better on a cruise than not on one so I am giving it a shot.

My last cruise was on NCL and I wasnt thrilled. I am more of a Princess girl. LOL

PS As for food, I realize that it can be found all over the ship practically at any time but sometimes, me and my pjs become 'one' and I dont want to go anywhere but my bed for a nap after an excursion and a cold shower. Room service is the answer to the munchies and hungries.

Unfortunately, we had terrible weather in Bermuda. And I mean terrible. It was SO windy you could not even walk. The ferry to St. George was canceled 2 out of the 3 days we were there, that's how bad it was. Also NCL Breakaway docks before Summit, so the ferry line gets very long.

I think you will like Celebrity and Summit. The only cruise line you mentioned we have been on is RCCL and we think Celebrity is a step up from them.

You didn't mention if you are in the Crown & Anchor on RCCL because your status in C&A could transfer over to your Celebrity cruise.

It's really the luck of the draw. We were there the week before, and we had perfect weather for all three days in Bermuda.

We never got off the ship very early, so we didn't really encounter the huge crowds at the kiosk to buy tickets/tokens, or on the ferries. We generally waited until 10:00AM or so before we got off the ship. The Breakaway has over 5,000 people on board, so it can get pretty congested at the Dockyard. We really didn't notice any issues in any other locations.

Horseshoe Beach was wonderful - we walked to the coves beyond the beach (heading to the left if you are facing the ocean), and it was peaceful, serene, quiet, and the water was perfect :)

No matter what you do for food, or for excursions, or for entertainment - you will have fun.

I always believe that we make our own fun, and our own good times. Even if some minor annoyance happens - you miss a ferry, or can't get on the first bus, or whatever - it's the way you look at it.

It's vacation. If you have to wait for the next bus, take in the scenery. Look at the amazing flowers around you. Talk to some of the local folks - they are WONDERFUL, friendly people. In fact, of all the recent places I have been, the folks of Bermuda have been by far the friendliest AND most helpful.

You'll have a great cruise :D

I have been on RCCL once, maybe twice so I am not sure if that gives me C&A status. I will ask my TA when she calls back. If it does, with only a cruise or two on RCCL, I am not sure if that gives me any real perks on Celebrity but I will ask. Thanks for letting me know.

As for weather...I dont care if I dont even get off the ship. Doesnt bother me.

Crowds...well, not thrilled about that but nothing I can do and besides, all cruises have been sold out recently so it cant be that different than May (could it)?

It's really the luck of the draw. We were there the week before, and we had perfect weather for all three days in Bermuda.

We never got off the ship very early, so we didn't really encounter the huge crowds at the kiosk to buy tickets/tokens, or on the ferries. We generally waited until 10:00AM or so before we got off the ship. The Breakaway has over 5,000 people on board, so it can get pretty congested at the Dockyard. We really didn't notice any issues in any other locations.

Horseshoe Beach was wonderful - we walked to the coves beyond the beach (heading to the left if you are facing the ocean), and it was peaceful, serene, quiet, and the water was perfect :)

No matter what you do for food, or for excursions, or for entertainment - you will have fun.

I always believe that we make our own fun, and our own good times. Even if some minor annoyance happens - you miss a ferry, or can't get on the first bus, or whatever - it's the way you look at it.

It's vacation. If you have to wait for the next bus, take in the scenery. Look at the amazing flowers around you. Talk to some of the local folks - they are WONDERFUL, friendly people. In fact, of all the recent places I have been, the folks of Bermuda have been by far the friendliest AND most helpful.

You'll have a great cruise :D

You sound a lot like me...go with the flow. I dont get off the ship early either and if I miss something or see crowds, I go later or head off somewhere else. I am fine with a cold drink and people watching if all else fails.

I remember a place near the caves that was so good for that, had great conch and and awesome drinks...have to go find that place again. My dad and I loved it on our last trip.

You sound a lot like me...go with the flow. I dont get off the ship early either and if I miss something or see crowds, I go later or head off somewhere else. I am fine with a cold drink and people watching if all else fails.

I remember a place near the caves that was so good for that, had great conch and and awesome drinks...have to go find that place again. My dad and I loved it on our last trip.

We rarely get off the ship early and were surprised that at 11:00 AM the line to buy transportation passes was still really long. Since the weather was so bad we didn't bother. Thank goodness because there are no refunds.

I just looked to see what was available for July 5th, and it looks like Concierge balcony guarantee is the same price as regular balcony guarantee.

Even without any major promos, it's pretty good for July pricing.

Hopefully your TA can get you an even better price than Celebrity directly :)

I was on the Summit the week of May 31st and had an amazing time. We had perfect weather the entire time we were there. The crew are very friendly. I was in a verandah cabin on the Equinox in April and I believe there are a few hot egg dishes on the room service menu. Its limited, but there are hot options. I have been on Princess several times and was used to the "sometimes hot" egg sandwich that they offered.

Bermuda is a great place to do as you please. We had no excursions booked. We purchased a 2 day transportation pass and went to St. George to walk around the shops and to Hamilton. We went to Grotto Bay beach Resort one day to swim in their onsite cave, and have spa treatments in their other onsite cave. It was a one of a kind experience and a lot of fun.

We visited the Swizzle Inn which was right up the street and then took the bus back to Hamilton where we hung around for Harbor Nights. IMHO, it is not worth hanging around for if you have done it in the past...been there, done that kind of moment for me.

If you like Princess, you will be happy on Celebrity. They are my 2 lines of choice. Enjoy your cruise! I am sure it will be great!!

I just looked to see what was available for July 5th, and it looks like Concierge balcony guarantee is the same price as regular balcony guarantee.

Even without any major promos, it's pretty good for July pricing.

Hopefully your TA can get you an even better price than Celebrity directly :)

I actually held my room 2 days ago and it was a LOT less expensive so I got VERY lucky. My fare is about 350 less pp and includes 150 obc for a balcony.

Goldesq,

You will be able to order from the main dining room menu and have it delivered to your cabin. This is done during regular dinner hour only. I have done this many times as I travel solo often. Just go down where they post the evening menu right outside the MDR entrance. I believe your room steward can also provide you with that night's MDR menu, ask him. Once you make your selections, call Room Service to place your order.

You can get an app, entree, and even dessert. Just be aware that all courses will be delivered at the same time (so getting an ice cream as your dessert choice might pose a problem:)).

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Constance331

We rarely get off the ship early and were surprised that at 11:00 AM the line to buy transportation passes was still really long. Since the weather was so bad we didn't bother. Thank goodness because there are no refunds.

Hi Anna Marie -- I don't know which was worse on that cruise: the winds or lines to get out of Dockyard! On our Summit cruise last year, we bought the 3-day pass and used it every day. This year, our original plans to buy a 2-day pass got whittled down to a 1-day, when they announced the high winds had shut down the St. George ferry.

Hi Anna Marie -- I don't know which was worse on that cruise: the winds or lines to get out of Dockyard! On our Summit cruise last year, we bought the 3-day pass and used it every day. This year, our original plans to buy a 2-day pass got whittled down to a 1-day, when they announced the high winds had shut down the St. George ferry.

what do you mean by lines to get out of the Dockyard? Do you mean the lines for the public bus to leave or something else?

Ive never been to Georgetown in all my years to Bermuda. Worth going?

what do you mean by lines to get out of the Dockyard? Do you mean the lines for the public bus to leave or something else?

LOL -- actually, it's the town of St. George, located in St. George's Parish. But, my DH got annoyed at me for repeatedly calling it St. Catherine's (but, that's where the fort is). :p And, yes, it is definitely worth the ferry (or bus) ride over -- forts, beaches, churches, shopping, and good food! The Ports of Call Bermuda board can give you some specific ideas of what there is to do there. :cool:

On our recent Summit cruise, the winds howled for 3 days, shutting down the ferry to St. George. That meant the only public transportation out of Dockyard consisted of the number 7/8 bus to Hamilton -- or, taking the ferry to Hamilton (and going on, from there).

The lines for everything were so long the first day, that we just stayed in the Dockyard area. Next day, we waited in line over half an hour for the number 7 bus -- and, they packed us in, like sardines. The ferry back from Hamilton was the same. The last day, we were honestly afraid to leave Dockyard, for fear we wouldn't get back in time for the "all-aboard" call. :eek:

Not at all like our previous cruise to Bermuda, last fall. We took buses and ferries all over the island, encountering very few lines and/or crowds.

Goldesq,

You will be able to order from the main dining room menu and have it delivered to your cabin. This is done during regular dinner hour only. I have done this many times as I travel solo often. Just go down where they post the evening menu right outside the MDR entrance. I believe your room steward can also provide you with that night's MDR menu, ask him. Once you make your selections, call Room Service to place your order.

You can get an app, entree, and even dessert. Just be aware that all courses will be delivered at the same time (so getting an ice cream as your dessert choice might pose a problem:)).

Enjoy your cruise.

Actually you can order the lunch and dinner menu from the MDR to your room, just ask your Steward for a menu. This is only available while the dining room is open.

Breakfast you can pretty much order anything now, higher categories of cabins include smoothies, some coffee drinks.

Also, they do not have a dedicated movie theater but will show movies in other places such as the showroom, conference room and on our cruise last week they had a couple of movies outside on deck.

Edited by dkjretired

First is the line to buy transportation passes. Then you get in line for either the ferry to Hamilton, the ferry to St. Georges or one of the buses.

If you book a cruise ship excursion or a private tour you could avoid the lines and the wait. Or you could rent a scooter. Something we would not feel safe doing but many do.

I like St. Georges. Not a lot to do but it's fun to walk around and take in the sites.

I was on the Summit the week of May 31st and had an amazing time. We had perfect weather the entire time we were there. The crew are very friendly. I was in a verandah cabin on the Equinox in April and I believe there are a few hot egg dishes on the room service menu. Its limited, but there are hot options. I have been on Princess several times and was used to the "sometimes hot" egg sandwich that they offered.

Bermuda is a great place to do as you please. We had no excursions booked. We purchased a 2 day transportation pass and went to St. George to walk around the shops and to Hamilton. We went to Grotto Bay beach Resort one day to swim in their onsite cave, and have spa treatments in their other onsite cave. It was a one of a kind experience and a lot of fun.

We visited the Swizzle Inn which was right up the street and then took the bus back to Hamilton where we hung around for Harbor Nights. IMHO, it is not worth hanging around for if you have done it in the past...been there, done that kind of moment for me.

If you like Princess, you will be happy on Celebrity. They are my 2 lines of choice. Enjoy your cruise! I am sure it will be great!!

Just curious how you were able to book the swim and spa treatments at the Grotto Bay resort. Did you arrange it in advance or just show up at the resort? Was there a cost to swim in the cave? Was the water warm or cold?

The line the first week of May to get the three day pass was ridiculous! The line for the #7 was 2 hours. Good thing Bermudas worth it!

I do recall the bus pass purchase line was so long even years ago when we last cruises there. I think we ended up NOT buying passes and just paying cash when we went on the bus. I know you need exact change so if they still accept cash when you get on the bus, we might go that route. I know we wont be using the bus so much making a pass not worth it for us.

Do they still accept cash on the bus itself for one ride?

LOL -- actually, it's the town of St. George, located in St. George's Parish. But, my DH got annoyed at me for repeatedly calling it St. Catherine's (but, that's where the fort is). :p And, yes, it is definitely worth the ferry (or bus) ride over -- forts, beaches, churches, shopping, and good food! The Ports of Call Bermuda board can give you some specific ideas of what there is to do there. :cool:

On our recent Summit cruise, the winds howled for 3 days, shutting down the ferry to St. George. That meant the only public transportation out of Dockyard consisted of the number 7/8 bus to Hamilton -- or, taking the ferry to Hamilton (and going on, from there).

The lines for everything were so long the first day, that we just stayed in the Dockyard area. Next day, we waited in line over half an hour for the number 7 bus -- and, they packed us in, like sardines. The ferry back from Hamilton was the same. The last day, we were honestly afraid to leave Dockyard, for fear we wouldn't get back in time for the "all-aboard" call. :eek:

Not at all like our previous cruise to Bermuda, last fall. We took buses and ferries all over the island, encountering very few lines and/or crowds.

Thanks for correcting me on St Georges. In Brooklyn, where my parents live, I go to a shopping area called Georegtown so I must have had that in my head. Since I have never been, I am going to force myself to go this time to just see it.