Big Price Drop - After Final Payment Date - Options?

Yes, either would be an upgrade from an inside.

Many people would want an oceanview balcony, and I'd check if you are getting or eligible for that.

I always felt I was an oddball. Now you have proved it. lol

I personally prefer the boardwalk balcony's. You can get an oveanview balcony on almost any ship.:)

Bill

I called in and they said no adjustment/onboard credit could be made for my 7/25 sailing, but did give me a guaranteed balcony upgrade for free (was in an interior room). That's nice. Certainly take it.

Are there/were there other options if I pushed?

Best option is to not look at the price of a cruise after final payment date. ;)

Why does the neighborhood complicate it? The OP should get whatever type balcony they are eligible for, nothing complicated in that at all.

That's the kicker.....after final payment date, a person is no longer eligible for (entitled to) anything. ;)

Edited by Out to sea!

• 1 month later...
That's the kicker.....after final payment date, a person is no longer eligible for (entitled to) anything. ;)

I'm bumping this because I am curious when the policy changed so that after final payment you are no longer entitled to receiving any price drop as OBC. I understand that since its after final payment, there are no refunds.. but why can't we get the difference as OBC? I noticed a price drop for my booking and specific stateroom (promenade) but when I called RCCL they said they could only provide me with an upgrade.. for an additional $335. I assume the upgrade price is what it is because the other categories haven't had a price drop but I remember before that it was so easy to call and get the price difference as additional OBC.

Has anyone recently been able to get the price drop as OBC after final payment?

I'm bumping this because I am curious when the policy changed so that after final payment you are no longer entitled to receiving any price drop as OBC. I understand that since its after final payment, there are no refunds.. but why can't we get the difference as OBC? I noticed a price drop for my booking and specific stateroom (promenade) but when I called RCCL they said they could only provide me with an upgrade.. for an additional $335. I assume the upgrade price is what it is because the other categories haven't had a price drop but I remember before that it was so easy to call and get the price difference as additional OBC.

You can upgrade after final payment but OBC is no longer offered.

The policy changed back in May 2010. After that, no credit of any kind is given after final payment date. The only exception is if you booked the cruise within 48 hours of a price drop, in which case they will give you 110% of the price drop as OBC.

Thank you both for confirming. Sad to hear such news... I really do enjoy Royal's ships but now that I've tried other cruiselines, I miss the small perks others can provide.

There is a drastic price difference between a balcony and the promenade stateroom and I do not prefer an ocean view. Its like a taunt that hey i can see the ocean but can't enjoy it on a balcony; my own preference ;). On my last cruise with Holland, I was able to get 50% of the price drop as additional OBC and not to mention got a balcony at a great price. While Holland does not offer promenades, the price difference between an interior and a balcony was VERY reasonable. Also on disembarkation day, Holland still provided breakfast room service.

I will wait to see if my Royal TA will be able to do anything else for me.. other than the not so great upgrade. Crossing fingers but not going to be too hopeful. Thanks for keeping my dreams in check. I know I will still enjoy the cruise with Royal but just miss those added little perks.

If RC gives you an upgrade after final payment such as the OP's, and if you received OBC with your original booking, does that usually get taken away with the upgrade?

No, the OBC would stay if it was an upgrade initiated by Royal.

Edited by clarea

The only cruise line that has a policy about receiving OBC for a price drop AFTER final payment date is Carnival. Therefore, there has been no policy change on RCCL. Not saying someone hasn't gotten one but if they have, it's been because RCCl tried to grease a squeaky wheel and not because of policy.

Edited by Out to sea!

The only cruise line that has a policy about receiving OBC for a price drop AFTER final payment date is Carnival. Therefore, there has been no policy change on RCCL. Not saying someone hasn't gotten one but if they have, it's been because RCCl tried to grease a squeaky wheel and not because of policy.

Actually, from Sept 2009 to May 2010, Royal did give OBC for price drops after final payment.

Actually, from Sept 2009 to May 2010, Royal did give OBC for price drops after final payment.

Ah, for a whole 9 month period they gave OBC. I stand corrected.

You'll notice my last RCCL cruise was in 2008 but I'm taking one this November.

• 1 month later...

There's policy andnd there's practice. On NCL I frequently get OBC offered when there is a price drop after final payment. It's not the full amount equal to the price drop but it's something. But their policy is that there is nothing offered after final payment. In practice, that's not true.

There's policy andnd there's practice. On NCL I frequently get OBC offered when there is a price drop after final payment. It's not the full amount equal to the price drop but it's something. But their policy is that there is nothing offered after final payment. In practice, that's not true.

Unfortunately Royal sticks with their policy regarding no OBC after final payment for price drops.

I know things have changed but just last year there was a huge drop in my price after final payment I said what the hell I called got a GREAT rep on the phone. I ended up with just over $400. OBC!!! Never hurts to ask [emoji267]

Lots of people see their price drop by huge amounts after final. Lots of people say, 'what the hell!' No one ever posts that they got money or obc back.

What exactly happened?

If you had obc before final payment then you upgrade (and pay for it) do you get to keep the original perks?

I am assuming this if one has OBC from RCI as part of the original booking price. It depends on what OBC is being offered with the current upgrade cabin pricing thus one would only get the current offer which could be with no OBC if the price has dropped.

If the OBC is from using a Future Cruise Certificate or from a booking originally done onboard it will remain. Your OBC might even increase as a result of the higher price if it is coming from a travel agency as an incentive for booking with them.

Edited by robtulipe