MITSUGIRLYS DAWN TO BERMUDA NOVEL (or review as some may call it)

mitsugirly

It looks like you were staying in Dorchester, close to the Naponset Bridge. There's a 24 hour bowling alley not to far from there. Next time you're in town you should check it out. It's mostly candle pin, which is a regional favorite, but they do offer ten pin as well. Great arcade there too.

Yes, that's exactly where we were staying...in Dorchester. The bowling alley was across the street and down and it was open 24 hours. We had planned on going there to bowl that night, but Kendra said the place was completely full (the lanes) and the rest of the building was packed. I know she researched it before we left and we were there on a Thursday night and they have a $4 Thursday night bowl special so that's why it was so crowded.

Yes, that's exactly where we were staying...in Dorchester. The bowling alley was across the street and down and it was open 24 hours. We had planned on going there to bowl that night, but Kendra said the place was completely full (the lanes) and the rest of the building was packed. I know she researched it before we left and we were there on a Thursday night and they have a $4 Thursday night bowl special so that's why it was so crowded.

Yeah. That happens a lot. I live not far from there, and when I do go down there it's late at night, like 2-3 in the morning. Or, I call ahead and see what the wait is on a lane. There's a smaller alley closer to my house that I love, but there's something about Boston Bowl that is just amazing.

THE ATRIUM

I love atrium's that have the glass elevators and that are open up to the top of the ship. They have always been very appealing to me (which is something that I don't like about the Gem class ships). However, this atrium just didn't do much for me. I'm not sure why. The center piece hanging wasn't really anything special and there's a huge arch that went over the atrium from one end to the other that kinda took away from the openness of the atrium. They pulled down a screen a lot of the time to show things on it and it was just a bit of a turn off to me. It seemed kinda "dated" to me as well. It did have a fountain in it (well water running down a wall) and it flowed into a little "stream" but I'm not one that enjoys fake flowers. It's just cheesy to me and it had fake flowers around it. Just saying...

P6060137%20copy-L.jpg

P6050093%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P6050109%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P6050095%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P6050092%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P6050101%20copy-L.jpg

We were passengers on the Dawn's inaugural cruise from NY in May, 2003 (she cruised from Miami for the first six months of her career), so I'm familiar with how she was originally configured.

When the Dawn was built it didn't have a separate Italian restaurant...at dinner they would curtain off a section of the buffet's dining table area...as I recall it was forward on the port side of the buffet, and use that as the Italian venue. After a few years they converted the space you're looking at into the Italian restaurant but left the decor as it was. It was originally a third main dining room called Impressions, which more or less explains the decor.

I don't ever recall the steakhouse on the Dawn being called Black Angus...as far as I recall it was Cagney's on our first Dawn cruise in May, 2003, so if it was ever the case it had to be for the ship's first 6 months or less.

Thank you njhorseman. We just sailed the Dawn and I was remarking to my husband that I remembered that space as a main dining room long ago. I was starting to doubt my memory and appreciate your post.

In the atrium they also have a replica ship on display.

P6050106%20copy-L.jpg

P6050105%20copy-L.jpg

P6060140%20copy-L.jpg

They had the fake fire things on the wall. It took Sakari about 4 days before she figured out they were "fake" LOL

P6050099%20copy-L.jpg

This was behind the customer service desk and was kinda neat and different. It had a light behind it that changed colors.

P6050110%20copy-L.jpg

P6050113%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

"Hi Wendy!! So glad to see you here. Are you actually able to type now with your wrist? Hope you are doing well and I miss the ma'ams. Hopefully we can do a reunion some day in the future."

Yes, am using my left hand when I type, but it is a slow process, and I do a lot of retyping because of typos. My fingers even can't move yet like they're supposed to. I'm in what I call the frustrating stage: feel like doing things, but frustrated that I can't!!! At least I'm in a cast I can remove to shower! Counting life's blessings for sure.

Yes, we're on the Dawn out of Boston for our Canada/New England cruise. Three of the Ma'ams will be sailing with our DHs, and we do plan to write a review after. We still would like to do a review of our Sun cruise, but have just not gotten the time. Boy, do we have some stories to tell from that one!

Glad to see you are considering Alaska. Even though it may not be warm, the photographer in you will absolutely love it! Maybe that can be our reunion cruise as I'm ready to go back. My cruising is slowing down while DD and family are in Germany, though. Costs too much to go see them, and it depletes my cruising budget!

Well, I see you've continued your review, so I'd better catch up!

PHOTO GALLERY

This is the place you will find all your wonderful (cough, cough) pictures that are taken of you all over the ship and when getting off on shore. You know, the ones you will find with your eyes closed, hair in your face and if you're lucky...a boogie hanging outcha nose. Just saying...

You will also find your (my) necessities for every cruise which consist of scrapbooks and paper (I get one on every cruise), and CAMERA'S (you know, the kind that come WITH the charger) and other little things like selfie sticks and binoculars and such.

P6101064%20copy-L.jpg

P6050112%20copy-L.jpg

P6050111%20copy-L.jpg

Now the following I found on almost the next to last day and found it quite interesting and funny all at the same time. Can someone explain to me why there is a picture of the JADE on the wall in the DAWN's photo room??? LOL

P6111220%20copy-L.jpg

SUSHI BAR & BAMBOO:

Here's the sushi bar where you purchase a la carte and the Bamboo Asian restaurant, which recently NCL decided to make this a "free", yes I said FREE, restaurant instead of the former specialty "paid" restaurant.

I have to say that this is the ONE restaurant that I would pay for while any of the ships and have. I absolutely love Asian food. I am so excited and happy they have changed this to a free restaurant. WOO HOO

P6050087%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P6050085%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P6050084%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

I really hate that I did not get any pictures closer up of Bamboo (that camera vs battery thing again) or take the time to go into Tappenyaki (which I also love as well).

woohoo Kim went to Bermuda!

Just made a last minute decision to go to Bermuda on Breakaway 8/9

Excited to see you just got back from there. I always love your detailed reviews. I'm really late and won't be able to read hundreds of hours of cruise critic to decide what to do......so will be glad to have your thread to follow!

We have gone to the same places a few years in a row now! :o)

waiting for more

Trish

Yes' date=' am using my left hand when I type, but it is a slow process, and I do a lot of retyping because of typos. My fingers even can't move yet like they're supposed to. I'm in what I call the frustrating stage: feel like doing things, but frustrated that I can't!!! At least I'm in a cast I can remove to shower! Counting life's blessings for sure.

Yes, we're on the Dawn out of Boston for our Canada/New England cruise. Three of the Ma'ams will be sailing with our DHs, and we do plan to write a review after. We still would like to do a review of our Sun cruise, but have just not gotten the time. Boy, do we have some stories to tell from that one!

Glad to see you are considering Alaska. Even though it may not be warm, the photographer in you will absolutely love it! Maybe that can be our reunion cruise as I'm ready to go back. My cruising is slowing down while DD and family are in Germany, though. Costs too much to go see them, and it depletes my cruising budget!

Well, I see you've continued your review, so I'd better catch up![/quote']

I remember that slow process from back when I broke my right hand on the Epic. Ugh, such a rough time back then of having to type for my job and going to school. Glad to hear you are doing better and in a cast. I feel like I've missed out on the details lately with being on the cruise. Speedy recovery to you my friend!!

I would love to hear the stories from our Sun cruise. It will be neat (if you guys still decide to do the review) to read from all 3 of you. What a treat.

I'm definitely considering doing the Alaskan cruise just because of the photographer in me AND I know Sakari would love to see the "new" animals that you just won't see in the Caribbean. I would love to go with the ma'ams. You guys could show us the ropes since you have already been (and Kris too!). That would be a blast.

Thank you SO MUCH for the atrium pictures! I missed that so much on our Pearl cruise, the " crystal atrium" really didn't do it for me. It really doesn't compare to the Dawn in this aspect in my opinion.

You are very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics and thanks for joining.

woohoo Kim went to Bermuda!

Just made a last minute decision to go to Bermuda on Breakaway 8/9

Excited to see you just got back from there. I always love your detailed reviews. I'm really late and won't be able to read hundreds of hours of cruise critic to decide what to do......so will be glad to have your thread to follow!

We have gone to the same places a few years in a row now! :o)

waiting for more

Trish

Hi Trish and glad you found my Bermuda review. I'm so happy I finally pulled the trigger and went to Bermuda. This year has been a lot of "first" for me. Our cruise 2 months ago were all new ports for us (well 2 out of 3) and now Bermuda. If I get to squeeze in another trip this year, I'm still trying to decide if I want to continue this "new ports" for the rest of the year or head back to some of the old ports again (since the newer ports are the more expensive ones to do). :)

ARTWORK AROUND THE OUTSIDE OF THE SHIP.

I'm closing out the night with the awesome artwork on the outside of the ship on deck 7. I really enjoy looking at the ships artwork on these floors on the various ships. It's kinda neat to see what they come up with and it usually corresponds to whatever is on the inside of the ship. I found that the artwork on the outside of this ship is probably one of my favorites so far.

Maybe some day Sakari will be someone who is able to draw some artwork for NCL. Wouldn't that be cool? Although she is more of a pencil/pen type of person and she hasn't learn to master the whole "paint" thing as of yet. At least she has a good start.

One thing I will say is that we also seen the "artist" or at least the guy that keeps these murals up to date and fresh. I had seen him earlier inside the ship with a pallet of all the various colors in the murals and wondered where he was going with it and what he was going to do. Then I found him outside touching up the murals. It was kinda neat to see this. I will point him out when I get to that picture (not that you won't be able to tell when you see some random guy in a white jump suit with paint beside him sitting in front of the mural and not be able to tell...just saying).

P6101077%20copy-L.jpg

P6101075%20copy-L.jpg

P6101076%20copy-L.jpg

P6101078%20copy-L.jpg

P6101079%20copy-L.jpg

P6101080%20copy-L.jpg

P6101081%20copy-L.jpg

P6101082%20copy-L.jpg

P6101083%20copy-L.jpg

There were a bunch of these painted around the end of the ship and I thought they were really neat. They had different flowers and colors and I wish I could have got pictures of all the varieties, but then again...camera + no battery=photo blocking for me.

P6101084%20copy-L.jpg

P6101085%20copy-L.jpg

P6101086%20copy-L.jpg