Going to Europe? Passport warning!!!

Nope, for EU citizens (at least Schengen countries which UK is not) it´s o.k. when your passport is valid for the duration of your stay in the US.

Airlines have to check the validity of the passports prior to boarding because they have to bring back the passenger on their (the airlines) expense when the passenger is denied entry to the arrival country.

The fine print of RCI (and any other cruise line) cleary states that the passenger is responsible for having valid travel documents and visas. They don´t have to tell you whether your passport is still valid (or expires too soon). They don´t know whether you´ve applied for a visa or not. Same for the airlines.

Therefore neither a cruise line nor an airline has to "flag" your data when you enter it online. You can have applied for a new passport inbetween and turn up with a valid passport at the check-in counter. With some airlines you can enter your passport data by the time you have booked your flight which can be months ahead.

Sorry to say for the OP but it´s neither the fault of the airline nor the fault of the cruise line. It´s the responsibility of the passenger

Well I'm from the UK, and my ESTA documentation said that my United Kingdom passport had to be valid for 90 days after date of entry into the United States, I'm going off what it said. For cruises this didn't just include the date arriving on a plane, it also included the return date from the cruise as that counted as re-entering.

However I whole heartedly agree with you, it's the passengers responsibility to check that information. RCI does not know your passport or visa information, while a travel agent would be able to advise you, RCI probably would avoid advising you incase they provided incorrect information.

I have reason to believe those with dual citizenship with the United States and another country (with the U.S. being the added country, not the original country) have to travel on cruises with a passport for one of those countries and are not eligible for the driver licence/birth certificate that a standard United States citizen has (while RCI might allow it, CBP might not on the return)

Well I'm from the UK, and my ESTA documentation said that my United Kingdom passport had to be valid for 90 days after date of entry into the United States, I'm going off what it said. For cruises this didn't just include the date arriving on a plane, it also included the return date from the cruise as that counted as re-entering.

ESTA is valid for 2 years and you don´t need to update your travel plans ;)!

I haven´t applied for ESTA with the new form yet. But as far as I can see you only have to fill in your US Point of Contact information (which can be your first address or simply "unknown") and your employment information.

I don´t see anything regarding the travel date or flight date or cruise date. This is asked by RCI in their online check-in form.

steamboats

ESTA is valid for 2 years and you don´t need to update your travel plans ;)!

I haven´t applied for ESTA with the new form yet. But as far as I can see you only have to fill in your US Point of Contact information (which can be your first address or simply "unknown") and your employment information.

I don´t see anything regarding the travel date or flight date or cruise date. This is asked by RCI in their online check-in form.

steamboats

Customs and Border Protection ask, it's not part of the application (because of the 2 year expiry), if you haven't got 90 days, CBP will turn you away (a guy in front of me at JFK got turned away as his passport only had 6 weeks left and he was only there for a few days

However I whole heartedly agree with you, it's the passengers responsibility to check that information. RCI does not know your passport or visa information, while a travel agent would be able to advise you, RCI probably would avoid advising you incase they provided incorrect information.

I have reason to believe those with dual citizenship with the United States and another country (with the U.S. being the added country, not the original country) have to travel on cruises with a passport for one of those countries and are not eligible for the driver licence/birth certificate that a standard United States citizen has (while RCI might allow it, CBP might not on the return)

A Naturalized US citizen cannot travel on a closed loop cruise using a birth certificate, as they wont have on that proves US Citizen ship, they can travel with their Naturalization Certificate and a DL, as the NC proves US Citizenship, they also cannot cruise on a closed loop cruise using their other passport, as you have to enter the US as a US citizen, if you are one.

Those of you who are regular cruisers likely know this but hoping someone can learn from our mistake. We were booked for the 7 night Med cruise out of Barcelona. Booked in Jan through RC. 8 of us. For my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Showed up at airport with boarding passes in hand, all 8 of us, 10 bags packed to the rim, and were informed 3 of our kids passports, while still valid another 77 days in US, needed to be 90 days from end of cruise valid.

We were crushed.

It's a long story and it gets more involved but ultimately were told by RC that even if we could get into Spain, they would not let us on boat, that the kids passports needed to be 6 mos past expiration.

We used RC as our travel agent. It would have been nice (though I realize I could have checked into it on my own) if they would have told us US travelers unfamiliar with European policies.

We did buy their travel insurance and our flights through them. Who knows how this will all play out. We had months to get it taken care of and had no idea.

--

THANK YOU for turning your misfortune into a learning lesson for all of us. I hope you are able to redeem at least some of your loss. :-(

Edited by Blasian

Customs and Border Protection ask, it's not part of the application (because of the 2 year expiry), if you haven't got 90 days, CBP will turn you away (a guy in front of me at JFK got turned away as his passport only had 6 weeks left and he was only there for a few days

From the US Embassy website:

"Your passport is valid for the duration of stay in the U.S."

As I said before: If you passport does expire prior to the 90 days the Visa Waiver Program allows you to stay in the US the CBP officers may want to see your return flight ticket (to check whether you are supposed to leave prior to the expiration of your passport).

Actually it doesn´t even make any difference when your passport expires during your stay. The next authority to check your passport would be your home country on your flight back home. And you home country has to let you back in even with an expired passport.

Within some Schengen countries you can even travel with an expired passport or ID card for one year! This is valid for the following countries: Belgium, France, Greece, Italy, Lichtenstein, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Switzerland, Slowenia and Spain.

steamboats

6 months is pretty standard. Most places in the world require at least 6 months on a passports life to be left.
Can you substatate your claim? Just out of curiosity I arbitrarily checked the 13 countries/entities in South America per travel.state.gov:

5 (Bolivia, Ecuador, Guyana, Suriname, Venezuela) require 6 Months on your passport for entry.

1 (French Guyana) requires 90 days on your passport

1 (Chile) requires that your passport be valid for the duration of your stay

6 (Argentina, Brazil, Columbia, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay) require merely that your passport be valid when they admit you.

I was amazed at the number of countries that required only that your passport be valid on the day of admission.

Thom

PS Yes, 6 months passport life is the safe thing, but I don't think it is either the majority or the plurality throughout the world. I have often traveled with less than 6 months on my passport after carefully checking regulations - I did last fall on my recently expired passport, and I did 11 years ago when that passport was near expiration.

When completing your online check and entering the Passport dates, Royal should have an alert that the passports will not be valid for your sailing. How difficult would that be?

Exactly what I was thinking--that would just be good customer service. Sorry to the OP -- I feel badly that your trip had to be canceled.

PS Yes, 6 months passport life is the safe thing, but I don't think it is either the majority or the plurality throughout the world.

Exactly!!

Exactly what I was thinking--that would just be good customer service.

No, in that case it´s within the liability of the cruise line. The cruise lines don´t want to be sued because they promised an alert as customer service but due to whatever reason it didn´t pop up!

steamboats

Those of you who are regular cruisers likely know this but hoping someone can learn from our mistake. We were booked for the 7 night Med cruise out of Barcelona. Booked in Jan through RC. 8 of us. For my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Showed up at airport with boarding passes in hand, all 8 of us, 10 bags packed to the rim, and were informed 3 of our kids passports, while still valid another 77 days in US, needed to be 90 days from end of cruise valid.

We were crushed.

It's a long story and it gets more involved but ultimately were told by RC that even if we could get into Spain, they would not let us on boat, that the kids passports needed to be 6 mos past expiration.

We used RC as our travel agent. It would have been nice (though I realize I could have checked into it on my own) if they would have told us US travelers unfamiliar with European policies.

We did buy their travel insurance and our flights through them. Who knows how this will all play out. We had months to get it taken care of and had no idea.

Welcome to the cruel world of travelling.

Its worse going the other way!!

Welcome to the cruel world of travelling.

Its worse going the other way!!

What:confused: - certainly you are not saying that the good-ole US of A makes it difficult for incoming travelers:rolleyes: [yes, I'm kidding]

IME the least hospitable countries for tourist immigration are US, Brazil and Russia (and at least Russia will process you quickly if you are willing to pay through the nose):mad: I'm glad I don't have to jump through the hoops to try to get a visa to come to the US.

Thom

What:confused: - certainly you are not saying that the good-ole US of A makes it difficult for incoming travelers:rolleyes: [yes, I'm kidding]

IME the least hospitable countries for tourist immigration are US, Brazil and Russia (and at least Russia will process you quickly if you are willing to pay through the nose):mad: I'm glad I don't have to jump through the hoops to try to get a visa to come to the US.

Thom

The last time I flew home from London some of the boys at Logan weren't all that hospitable to returning US citizens either.

The last time I flew home from London some of the boys at Logan weren't all that hospitable to returning US citizens either.
Just try Atlanta... "Welcome Home, let us abuse you" appears to be their motto LOL!
Okay, some of the immigration officers may be grumpy (actually I usually find the long wait to see an officer more irritating than the personnel themselves), but not that much worse than most countries (and the US officers are NOT looking for a bribe, in some countries a bribe is the norm). Where the US and Brazil excel is in the difficulty of getting a visa (for those who require one).

Thom

Okay, some of the immigration officers may be grumpy (actually I usually find the long wait to see an officer more irritating than the personnel themselves), but not that much worse than most countries (and the US officers are NOT looking for a bribe, in some countries a bribe is the norm). Where the US and Brazil excel is in the difficulty of getting a visa (for those who require one).

Thom

Getting a visa for Brazil was a multi-step process: 1) complete on-line application, and send. If accepted, print out form, if not accepted, try to figure out why it was not as reason for denying is in Portuguese. Do not call Brazilian consulate as they will not accept phone questions. You may email your question but it will take at least 4 days to get an answer which turns out to be wrong. 2) Complete on-line application 3 more times before finally getting it accepted. 3) Mail signed forms along with money order (no checks), PASSPORTS, and pre-paid envelope for return of passports to consulate. 4) Allow 4 to 6 weeks for return of passport with visas, keeping in mind you cannot apply more than 90 days before your trip.

And did I mention it was over $300 for the two of us?:)

Sherri:)

I am a travel agent and we come across this all the time, by the way NZ'ers are allowed into the USA within 6 months of passport expiry. Some nationalities require passports that have 6 months at least to go but not new Zealand. I have sent many clients to USA with less than 6 months to go on their passports and none have had a problem.

kia ora,

Suggest you check as US immigration require passport to expire MORE than six months hence! NZers need a Us visa too, even though we don't require a visa for Us citizens except in very limited prescribed situations

Aquarians

Thom

Last month I flew to Paris. Immigration at Paris took 5 minutes. No they weren't friendly but they also didn't treat me like a criminal.

Got to Atlanta... the lines were unbelievably long. The airport employee shoving people in them estimated an hour wait for returning citizens.

There's a reason I pay for Global Entry. While it's not a bribe, I had to pay to get decent service at immigration LOL!

(And I just got a Visa for Russia so I know it's a PIA but generally it's PIA because WE make it the same way for travelers coming here. I keep waiting on Western Europe to start making us jump through the ESTA hoops we make them jump through)

Edited by Carolla5501

Clarification. Did the TSA or the airline inform you at the airport, . . .

It's not their job.

While I can certainly understand the OP's frustration, and my heart goes out to them, we CC forum readers/participants need to identify where the responsibility actually lies . . .

The TSA (Transportation Security Agency of the Department of Homeland Security) is responsible for providing security of transportation assets and facilities . . .

The airline is a private business with the responsibility to produce a profit for their stockholders. They do this by providing a service - transportation from one location to another.

Entry requirements are set by each of the 196 countries. To expect non-affiliated agencies/companies to be knowledgible of, or to enforce, those countries policies is unrealisttic.

The responsibility is on the traveler. Failing that, one has the option of hiring a professional TA (as opposed to a vacation sales person).

Getting a visa for Brazil was a multi-step process: 1) complete on-line application, and send. If accepted, print out form, if not accepted, try to figure out why it was not as reason for denying is in Portuguese. Do not call Brazilian consulate as they will not accept phone questions. You may email your question but it will take at least 4 days to get an answer which turns out to be wrong. 2) Complete on-line application 3 more times before finally getting it accepted. 3) Mail signed forms along with money order (no checks), PASSPORTS, and pre-paid envelope for return of passports to consulate. 4) Allow 4 to 6 weeks for return of passport with visas, keeping in mind you cannot apply more than 90 days before your trip.

And did I mention it was over $300 for the two of us?:)

Sherri:)

I had heard Brazil is very difficult. My family is talking about possibly going to the 2016 Olympics. Brazil has dropped visa requirements for a lot of countries for the Olympics, but has yet to do so for the U.S. But they recently said they might.

A travel agent should be on top of stuff like this, but I wouldn't expect RC to be responsible.....

Edited by cindivan

Sorry this happened - for future reference to anyone the requirements are clearly listed on the confirmation letter under documentation required that RCCL emails, faxes, etc. For the European sailings is states that passports should be valid for six months from the end of your stay

Edited by jonj

Suggest you check as US immigration require passport to expire MORE than six months hence! NZers need a Us visa too, even though we don't require a visa for Us citizens except in very limited prescribed situations.
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/visa-wizard.html says: "Most citizens of New Zealand can travel to the U.S. for Tourism or a Visit for 90 days or less without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program". You will need a ESTA. http://www.passports.govt.nz/Travelling-to-the-USA has essentially the same info.

I can't find the amount of remaining time needed on your passport, but given that you are only allowed to stay 90 days, I question the need for more than six months.

Thom

Denver's custom procedure is a breeze now. It's completely computerized - the pax does the work (5 minutes). The machine spits out a "ticket," 30 seconds with the customs agent (no waiting to speak of), and that's it. So much more efficient that other entry points in the U.S. Let's hope more cities do this.

Denver's custom procedure is a breeze now. It's completely computerized - the pax does the work (5 minutes). The machine spits out a "ticket," 30 seconds with the customs agent (no waiting to speak of), and that's it. So much more efficient that other entry points in the U.S. Let's hope more cities do this.

Most large airports already have the Facial Recognition terminals. Boston and New York are two that we have been through recently.

It's certainly faster unless you get the dreaded 'X' across your receipt. :eek: