Venice Embarcation

Scotswoman

We are leaving from Venice on the Constellation soon. Does anyone know if we can check in and then leave again to do some sightseeing? We arrive at the airport around 9a.m. and have a transfer straight to the ship. (booked along with the cruise)

Any other tips about embarcation in Venice would also be welcome. Is there a wine store near the port, for example?

Thanks!!

Morven

We were allowed off ship after checking in, just a case of getting checked in early enough to give you the required time.

You also need to think about any carry on luggage you have in case your cabin isn't quite ready for you.

Do you know which dock she will be in?

We were in San Basilia which meant we could just stroll into the centre.

Still felt a bit nervous in case we got lost mind you.

Edited by mugwood

Hi Morven, We were wondering the same thing as we also have a 9 am arrival and ship transfer. Our TA thought we would be getting the transfer around 10:30 - 11:00 am, and that should get us to the ship early enough to take a stroll through the city. We'll probably just have to play it by ear when we get there. Any suggestions from those that have done that would be appreciated!

Christine

Edited by doublin9

This is the port at Venice from Marinetraffic.com, courtesy of Google Earth. This shows where Connie is currently being docked, same terminal Celebrity has been allocated in the past. The green line leads from where the Celebrity transfer will let you off to the terminal. It looks short, but really isn't, if you are toting/pulling carryons.

Venice%20port3_zpstrur2lrh.jpg

mugwood appears to have been on Azamara Quest, a small ship that docks at San Basilio, which is to the right of where Carinthia VII is docked. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Although this had been posted many times we shall repeat. Yes, you can get off the ship once you are checked-in or even check-in, dump your luggage, and leave before even boarding the ship (but then you still have your carry-on valuables). From the port you just walk over to the People Mover which will take you over to the Piazzale Roma. If you want to buy some wine, water, soda, etc. there is a COOP market within walking distance. Just head down to the vaporetto piers (behind the ACTV Office) and turn towards your left and start walking along the canal. Within a few short blocks you will come to a small "COOP" entrance which hides a surprisingly larger supermarket inside. Once you enter walk all the way to the back and through the open doorway into the back section where you will find an OK selection of wine and other beverages. Several years ago before there were carry-on limitations we once found a 5 liter box of Italian Red wine for about 10 Euros. A nearby Italian lady told us the wine was "drinkable" and so we took it on our long Princess cruise which went back to the USA. The wine was actually much better then the house wines on most ships, and 5 liters lasted us (for our balcony drinking) all the way home.

Hank

We embarked the Connie in Venice for the May 16th sailing. You can get off the ship as often as you like (plan on leaving all luggage including any carry-on for delivery to your room).

From the port, you can take the people mover (1 Euro 30 each way - the ticket machines take coins, small bills or credit cards). The People Mover just makes a loop between the cruise port ("maritime") , Piazzale Roma, and a parking garage so don't worry about getting off/on on the wrong tram, etc.

When you exit the People Mover, take a left to the end of the block, cross over toward all the vaporetto docks. Take a left and walk along the docks - towards the end there will be a "Coop" store on the left that sells wine.

From this area you can also cross the Constitution Bridge and cross over to walk along the Grand Canal, etc.

Legend for attached overhead view:

Blue star - Connie docks here or just in back of it (when we embarked Connie was one ship back, when we returned to Venice it was the first ship where the blue star is).

Blue line - walking path to People Mover

Yellow stars/yellow line - People Mover entrance/exit and route. At Piazzale Roma, the entrance/exit is at the bottom left of the big white structure

Red Line - walking route to vaporetto and to the Coop store

Red star - Coop store

Green star - Constitution Bridge

1855764324_VenicePiazzaleRoma.jpg.cd50f81fd7ee0e0dc6a66532eaf396c4.jpg

Although this had been posted many times we shall repeat. Yes, you can get off the ship once you are checked-in or even check-in, dump your luggage, and leave before even boarding the ship (but then you still have your carry-on valuables). From the port you just walk over to the People Mover which will take you over to the Piazzale Roma. If you want to buy some wine, water, soda, etc. there is a COOP market within walking distance. Just head down to the vaporetto piers (behind the ACTV Office) and turn towards your left and start walking along the canal. Within a few short blocks you will come to a small "COOP" entrance which hides a surprisingly larger supermarket inside. Once you enter walk all the way to the back and through the open doorway into the back section where you will find an OK selection of wine and other beverages. Several years ago before there were carry-on limitations we once found a 5 liter box of Italian Red wine for about 10 Euros. A nearby Italian lady told us the wine was "drinkable" and so we took it on our long Princess cruise which went back to the USA. The wine was actually much better then the house wines on most ships, and 5 liters lasted us (for our balcony drinking) all the way home.

Hank

Too funny. I entered my response and then did a map, etc. After I hit submit I see that you responded with the same directions!

We're coming in from EWR (motto: Can't spell SEWER without us!) on a mid-morning flight. I estimate there will be a healthy gap between the time we reach the ship to check-in and when we're allowed to our room. And once we leave to go sightseeing, I doubt we'll be back before dinner (if we don't dine in the city that night).

If you're allowed to "dump & go", when is the mandatory safety presentation? I don't want to be That Guy that holds up the show, but I don't want to be stuck on board during those precious daylight hours.

Thank you! My husband and I are on the August 2nd sailing and wanted to wander around for a few hours, so you have answered my questions! I have read that check in can be a bit chaotic. I haven't used Marittima terminal at Venice sicne 2008, when we arrived the day before so did our sightseeing in advance of going to the port.

:)

Given the norm on Celebrity you can expect the safety drill to be held about 1 1/2 hours prior to your departure from the port.

Hank

That's what I figured and it makes sense. Discussing it with my wife, she was sure they'd have to do it on embarkation day in case the ship capsized at the pier. :D

I just hope they spring us from the drill in time to catch the sail-away.

We embarked the Connie in Venice for the May 16th sailing. You can get off the ship as often as you like (plan on leaving all luggage including any carry-on for delivery to your room).

From the port, you can take the people mover (1 Euro 30 each way - the ticket machines take coins, small bills or credit cards). The People Mover just makes a loop between the cruise port ("maritime") , Piazzale Roma, and a parking garage so don't worry about getting off/on on the wrong tram, etc.

When you exit the People Mover, take a left to the end of the block, cross over toward all the vaporetto docks. Take a left and walk along the docks - towards the end there will be a "Coop" store on the left that sells wine.

From this area you can also cross the Constitution Bridge and cross over to walk along the Grand Canal, etc.

Legend for attached overhead view:

Blue star - Connie docks here or just in back of it (when we embarked Connie was one ship back, when we returned to Venice it was the first ship where the blue star is).

Blue line - walking path to People Mover

Yellow stars/yellow line - People Mover entrance/exit and route. At Piazzale Roma, the entrance/exit is at the bottom left of the big white structure

Red Line - walking route to vaporetto and to the Coop store

Red star - Coop store

Green star - Constitution Bridge

Excellent information from you and Hlitner - thank you!- as a newbie to the area, it is very helpful to have such descriptive info with a map :)

As far as I know, Celebrity allows you to take 2 bottles of wine ( not spirits) per stateroom on board at embarcation only. They are for consumption in your cabin or balcony. Or if you wish to take them to the dining room, there would be a corkage fee.

I sailed on Reflection out of Venice in Nov 2012. We arrive two nights before our boarding day. I highly recommend doing this. Venice is a fun place to visit and wander around. You need some time. In our case Reflection overnighted in Venice, which provided an extra day. If your ship is not overnighting, I'd recommend arrive three nights in Venice before your boarding day. We spent 4 weeks on Reflection and the days in Venice at the beginning were most memorable.

This is our first cruise with Celebrity and out of Venice. Departing 11th July.

When you talk about buying wine etc in Co op do you mean to take it in board? I thought they took it from you as that's what happened to me on RCCI in Caribbean.

Yep, Celebrity allows you to bring aboard one bottle of wine per adult. At one time they were more liberal in Europe, but suspect that they will now enforce the limits.

Hank

Yep, Celebrity allows you to bring aboard one bottle of wine per adult. At one time they were more liberal in Europe, but suspect that they will now enforce the limits.

Hank

Actually technically Hank I think it's two bottles per stateroom, just to be clear.

This is very helpful. Thank you. I will be arriving into Venice at 11am before our cruise. I have booked transfers to the ship but I don't know what time this will be once we arrive at the airport.

I just wanted to see St. Marks Square. I hope this is possible but I suspect I will be tight for time. It says on My Celebrity that Connie leaves Venice at 5pm. From the info here I need to be on the ship at approx. 3pm at the latest to allow for safety drills??

Do ye think we will have enough time to get water bus/taxi to St. Marks Square? Would a water taxi be very expensive?

Thanks again for all the help and advice. Ye are super!

This is very helpful. Thank you. I will be arriving into Venice at 11am before our cruise. I have booked transfers to the ship but I don't know what time this will be once we arrive at the airport.

I just wanted to see St. Marks Square. I hope this is possible but I suspect I will be tight for time. It says on My Celebrity that Connie leaves Venice at 5pm. From the info here I need to be on the ship at approx. 3pm at the latest to allow for safety drills??

Do ye think we will have enough time to get water bus/taxi to St. Marks Square? Would a water taxi be very expensive?

Thanks again for all the help and advice. Ye are super!

Irishhappy cruiser:

I don't know the details of your particular sailing, but Connie usually overnights in Venice before the actual sailing. Embarkation is the day BEFORE the sailing. Are you really arriving on the day of sailing ? If so, it really might be tight. A better option might be to take the Alilaguna Blue line from the airport to the Ship. The trip is about 90 minutes, but you will see a lot of Venice from the water. You'll only get a partial view of St. Marks Square; you can't see all of the square from the water.

But if you are arriving the day before sailing, you will have plenty of time for sightseeing. You can check in at the ship, then take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma, board a #1 or #2 Vaporetto for the ride down the Grand Canal, spend time in St. Mark's Square, then ride the Vaporetto back. The trip down the Grand Canal at night is truly breathtaking.