A question about booking shore excursions

chefestelle

DD and I are looking at doing mostly pre-booked shore excursions for our Med. cruise next year. We enjoy tours, exploring on our own, combinations of both. We just look at the as different ways of enjoying our holidays. The only thing I can say I'm not wild about are large bus tours. So. If we wanted to do non private shore excursions, are they typically large buses or several small buses? I see a number of threads offering space on private tours. How do these get co-ordinated?

We've done several Med cruises and I have set up private tours on all of them. It's a much better way to see the countryside and get to know the country, people, culture and HIstory. They're quite simple to set up, especially in the Med. I check here on Cruise Critic Ports of Call Board for tours others have taken and enjoyed. I check out the guides and companies on Trip Advisor as well. I book the tour we are interested in then post on the roll call for our cruise. I usually have the tours fill up very quickly and we've had wonderful groups on all of them. It's definitely the best way to get the most, and best, out of a limited time in port.

I'll be very happy to answer any questions for you. Please email me at tooalto@att.net.

The majority of tours offered by HAL (and most cruiselines) are large bus tours of 45-55 people. There are exceptions, and when smaller vehicles are used it is generally made quite clear in the tour description. Usually those tours are more expensive as well.

I find Europe (and most of the Med ports) to be very easy to do on your own using various combinations of local buses, trains, or taxi. I have arranged or taken the occasional private tour when I cannot figure out how to get somewhere on my own steam.

It's important to understand that many people who arrange private tours on roll calls are basically arranging for a private driver. While these drivers often provide some info, they cannot go with you into a site. They may be very fluent in English -- or less so. I prefer to spend my $$ on guides where needed rather than on transportation that is usually available locally and quite cheap.

That said, you'll have the best idea of what you are looking for and feel comfortable with. I will say that most of the private tours recommended and used by CC members get very positive feedback and are quite reliable.

You can also Google the City and guided tours

Look for some testimonials or a rating by Travelocity etc.

I have organized groups of 4 to 24. Never, if when offered, do I accept a free tour. IMO, it would not be appropriate to do so.

Most private tours get coordinated on the roll call for the cruise. Usually, someone gets the information on the tour and posts info on the roll call with costs, number of people on the tour and usually a link to the tour website. Then either that person is the coordinator between the tour company and those taking the tour, or, more recently, one person finds the tour, posts the information and everyone that wants to be a part of the tour contacts the tour company to sign up. I have been the person coordinating the tour more than once and I can tell you letting everyone sign up on their own is much easier. Otherwise, you are responsible for collecting money, filling the tour and coordinating everything with the tour company. I've heard some coordinators receive a free tour, but I don't do that. I don't believe it is ethical to make others pay for my tour.

In my experience, these fill up rapidly as they usually only have 8-12 spots.

this is how I usually work on roll calls.

I sometimes organize, but if I have not done my homework yet, or am not there yet and if somebody has a good tour going, I join them.

step 1 - subscribe to your roll call and get a daily email.

step2 - when somebody puts out a request, look if this is something you are interested in, then make your decision rapidly as if you are in or out.

Always Trust that the organizer on CC has done the research. If it is good enough for them, then it is good enough for me.

This has always served me well.

For Europe

- Get the Rick Steves guide on med Ports - you will get lots of info & many walking tours. ( if this is something you enjoy).

- Love Rome in Limo.......... check out the website and see if this is something you are intersted in.

Good luck and Enjoy your trip