Bringing Alcohol at Embarkation(not for consumption)

hehny

Greetings Cunard Cruisers,

One of my party is an avid whisky connoisseur. We will be spending days in Scotland before embarkation at Southhampton and he plans on purchasing some bottles. These are for home usage- we are taking the transatlantic back to NY.

Cunard seems very vague with their bringing alcohol on board policy. I found this: "We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your cruise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised."

https://ask.cunard.com/help/before-you-sail/alcohol

Does anyone have experience bringing alcohol on board? Is it better to carry it on or put in luggage? He isn't trying to hide it and really doesn't want to drink in his cabin, so he is fine if they want to collect it and return it at the end of the voyage. Should he tell them in advance? Should we divide up multiple bottles along party (there are four of us)?

Some lines have very stagnant policies but Cunard's isn't clear to me. I appreciate your help in advance! Thank you and Happy Cruising!

Cunard Line is very mature when it comes to taking alcohol onboard their ships, especially ex Southampton.

Must be something to do with the demographic of their guest's ;). I doubt you/or a member of your party will have any problems.

If He'll feel comfortable dividing them between your party then go for it :)

In my experience Cunard treats it's passengers like adults, we have never had any problem bringing alcohol on board at embarkation or at ports of call.

If they are expensive bottles you might want to pack them in your carry-on, at least they won't get thrown around too much.

In my experience Cunard treats it's passengers like adults, we have never had any problem bringing alcohol on board at embarkation or at ports of call.

If they are expensive bottles you might want to pack them in your carry-on, at least they won't get thrown around too much.

I was going to suggest they are carried on as hand luggage, or in a little wheeled suitcase. There will be no problem bringing it on board.

We've never had any trouble with Cunard, but bear in mind that we have carried only wine on board, and only two bottles per passenger at the most. And we have bought wine in port and brought that on board. Now Celebrity was another story! They wanted to confiscate our wine! Total pain.

Cunard seems very vague with their bringing alcohol on board policy. I found this: "We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your cruise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised."

https://ask.cunard.com/help/before-you-sail/alcohol

I don't think they are being vague, simply giving themselves the right to stop misuse of the concession.

David.

Before buying lots of expensive whisky to take home, make sure you check the import regulations. I don't know how many bottles of alcohol you are allowed, but it could be pricey if you have to pay duty. (Of course, if no one else in your party is taking alcohol back, you could split the bottles between you.)