Available light in Winter Norway cruises?

BARNEY'S DAD

My wife and i are planning our first trip along the coast of Norway. However, i am now worried about being that far north in early December. What is the amount of available daylight? I mean is it 3 hours of daylight and 21 hours of dark? What good is beautiful scenery if it is dark out all the time. Help

Barney's dad

Find the sunrise / sunset times for each port on timeanddate.com

For example, Alesund, Norway, sunrise/sunset times for December, 2015, are listed here.

Expect just over 5 hours of daylength. Contrast that to about 19 hours of daylength in July, and you see why most choose to cruise the coast of Norway in the summer.

However, you will have an excellent chance of spotting the northern lights!

Edited by Shorex

By mid December you will have virtually no sunlight once you are more than halfway up the coast of Norway. Aside from wanting to see the Aurora (which can be chancy if there is overcast during your cruise), I see little reason for that itinerary that time of year -- which is when I start packing for St. Maarten.

Some really want to see the Northern lights.

I'm going on the Norwegian coastal ferry in early March, which is still supposed to be a very good time to see the lights, but will also have a few more daylight hours during the day.

Some really want to see the Northern lights.

I'm going on the Norwegian coastal ferry in early March, which is still supposed to be a very good time to see the lights, but will also have a few more daylight hours during the day.

By mid-March you will have close to 12 hours of daylight in northern Norway.

My wife and i are planning our first trip along the coast of Norway. However' date=' i am now worried about being that far north in early December. What is the amount of available daylight? I mean is it 3 hours of daylight and 21 hours of dark? What good is beautiful scenery if it is dark out all the time. Help

Barney's dad[/quote']

Have you considered going in May or June?

By mid-March you will have close to 12 hours of daylight in northern Norway.

And that probably does not include twilight and whatever they call the predawn light. Including that, you will get maybe 10 or less hours of true darkness.

DON