Walk (with luggage) from one Manhattan pier to another

klepton

I'm looking at possibly doing a B2B (but switching ships) with the NCL Gem leg coming first, and then going over to the NCL Breakaway. It would be the same day, so literally off one ship and onto another.

Should this be walkable? It looks like NCL only uses Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and looking at satellite maps it appears it should be a walk-able distance. I'm not sure about walkways, traffic, etc though. We'd have a decent amount of luggage, one 11 year old, and a 3 year old (with stroller).

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I would expect that both the Gem and Breakaway will dock at Pier 88 on opposite sides of the pier (the Gem in the south berth, the Breakaway in the north berth), but if the Breakaway is at 88 and the Gem at 90 it's a very short walk from one to the other, about one tenth of a mile, and there are sidewalks from one pier to another within the cruise terminal.

Edited by njhorseman

I have arrived/sailed from Piers 88, 90, and 92 several times over the years. There is a nice sidewalk that connects all of these piers. If your luggage has wheels and as long as you have enough hands to pull the luggage and push the stroller, other than the chaos of buses and taxis loading disembarking guests, you ought to have no problem. And, if both of the ships are at the same pier: well: lucky you!

Enjoy your cruises!

Yes you can walk, happened to us on the Glory. Leaving pier 90 as that is Carnival's primary pier and car parked on the roof of 90.

Returning we docked at 88, as Glory was the only ship calling that day, Pier 88 has a new remodel and the port uses that when only one ship is there. (Though that might have changed since the last Hurricanes).

We had to exit on the lower level and walk over back and take the elevator to the roof. The porters were helping those that wanted their services as well and if I would have used them I would have tipped a little extra but I had to porters with me and they are non-union Niece and Nephew!!

I think only one side of 88 got the upgraded gangways to reach the higher embarkation deck of the Breakaway, not sure.

FWIW

Thank you all so much for your input, this does certainly seem like it wouldn't be difficult. We travel heavy, but I can usually set up "the train" by linking the suitcases together, and then I pull those while DW takes the stroller. DD is old enough now to take one suitcase as well, so I think we'd be fine. I'm also not above putting a little money in a porter's pocket if they'd be willing to take us. :D

I'm a naturally cautious person, so changing ships on the same day makes me nervous. As rare as it is, if the Gem were late getting to port we'd completely miss the breakaway. I know people do it all the time though, I just need to convince myself to take the risk.

Anyway... thanks again!

2 things:

As far as the gem being late..... Maybe you should speak to the travel guard or whoever insurance rep about wether you need separate policies or not as your situation is somewhat unusual or maybe it's not.

Also if you are parking at the port you might want to clarify your plans as there may or may not be an issue. I.e. They may think your car is abandoned after the first cruise. This is unlikely and you certainly can check on your car and possibly move it if need be. Also the max number of days they will ever charge you is for 10 even though you will be away for more.

Your trip sounds like fun!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 things:

As far as the gem being late..... Maybe you should speak to the travel guard or whoever insurance rep about wether you need separate policies or not as your situation is somewhat unusual or maybe it's not.

Also if you are parking at the port you might want to clarify your plans as there may or may not be an issue. I.e. They may think your car is abandoned after the first cruise. This is unlikely and you certainly can check on your car and possibly move it if need be. Also the max number of days they will ever charge you is for 10 even though you will be away for more.

Your trip sounds like fun!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the advice, I did purchase a travel policy when I booked the original cruises (which included a 6 day carnival cruise and then flight from FLL to NYC to the Breakaway). I initially just bought one big policy for enough to cover the entire trip, but I'll check and make sure that's sufficient.

I don't think we'll be driving to the port, but I guess it's a possibility. More than likely we'll just fly. But good to know about parking. :D