Be there for your Meet and Greet!

D&J38

I've been to many M&Gs on several lines. I've organized a few. Personally, I don't want to do a gift exchange or go around the room with a mic for introductions. I've been to one slot pull (a bust but still fun) and one cabin crawl. We had one M&G in a Garden Villa (offered by the occupants who were on the roll call). One M&G group was invited for a bridge tour. I've joined others on a roll call for excursions. Had great conversations with interesting people at the M&G and days following as well.

On one cruise, I knew the concierge. He told me about the woman who had coordinated the M&G - she actually called the HD and demanded perks! I couldn't believe it! She thought she was entitled to perks!. I had been coordinating the M&G until she took over, and that must have been why - she assumed she would get perks. My friend told me she did not..... I also found it entertaining that during that week, I saw her see me and turn around to go another way. She realized during the M&G that I had a friend on board, who took great pains to introduce me to the HD and F&BD. The HD invited us to dinner one night, and always addressed us by name when he saw us. That was our perk.

I will say to those of you who are shy/introverted - try to make more of an effort to meet at least a few people or couples at the M&G. Don't feel slighted if everyone doesn't come rushing to you. There are usually a few people from the roll call that I specifically will search out to chat with. Usually because of a mutual interest, they've been somewhere I want to go, or just to continue a conversation we'd already started. Other than that, I try to mingle and meet people, but I know I don't meet everyone. It's really pretty rare for me to be specifically avoiding someone, but even if I do happen across that person, I will still be gracious, civil, and courteous.

We offered to organise one and people said yes so we got on with it. 3 weeks later someone jumped in saying they wanted to do it, jumped up and down insisting on a vote by people as to who should do it. They insisted on doing it and pragmatically if they really wanted it, let them have it. It's a vacation not an election. They were upfront in saying they wanted the perks so felt if they were that needy to let them do it. saved us a job. Then blow me they cancelled their cruise at final payment so it had to be picked up again.

We offered to organise one and people said yes so we got on with it. 3 weeks later someone jumped in saying they wanted to do it, jumped up and down insisting on a vote by people as to who should do it. They insisted on doing it and pragmatically if they really wanted it, let them have it. It's a vacation not an election. They were upfront in saying they wanted the perks so felt if they were that needy to let them do it. saved us a job. Then blow me they cancelled their cruise at final payment so it had to be picked up again.

Wow, that's a first! Unbelievable!

Harriet

I don't blame him. It seems that some really want those perks.

Yet, no one.....and I'll repeat, NO ONE is guaranteed any perks! Some get them and some don't....for whatever reason we really don't know.

My hope.....

Everyone who chooses to host a M&G in order to get perks don't get them....then the rumor of how to get perks will be stopped.

Harriet

I've organized a number of these mngs. One time, the very first one I did, I got a few minor perks. That was one out of six. I have done them in the past because I enjoy doing so. This thread has convinced me, unless no one is stepping up to bat, I will likely bow out in the future. The last one I did on the Getaway, the vibe was off. I couldn't put my finger on it. This thread clarifies a lot.

I will happily attend mng's, but I will let others do the work in the future. The two mng's I did not organize, I had more time to meet and get to know folks, rather than greeting and wandering around attempting to get others involved. I also didn't have to spend time updating roll calls, attempting to get confirmations, running of nametags, etc. I feel judged after reading this thread, and I have a hunch I was judged on my last mng. I don't like to be judged.

I think I will let others take on the mng organizer in the future.

Yet, no one.....and I'll repeat, NO ONE is guaranteed any perks! Some get them and some don't....for whatever reason we really don't know.

My hope.....

Everyone who chooses to host a M&G in order to get perks don't get them....then the rumor of how to get perks will be stopped.

Harriet

Didn't say anyone was guaranteed anything (don't know and don't care), just said that some really want them, which is why the one passenger made such a big deal and wanted to do the meet and greet.

But the fact is that some do get perks (and some nice ones at that) and apparently some only do it because they want them and the rumors will still fly as long as some get perks.

NCL should do it the way Celebrity does it. You sign up for the meet and greet on Cruise Critic, Celebrity sets the date, time, room and sends out invitations. That way, NCL would not have to worry about the rumors of someone getting perks and others not, no one would be organizing the meet and greet, thus no one would get any perks.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Didn't say anyone was guaranteed anything (don't know and don't care), just said that some really want them, which is why the one passenger made such a big deal and wanted to do the meet and greet.

But the fact is that some do get perks (and some nice ones at that) and apparently some only do it because they want them and the rumors will still fly as long as some get perks.

You are so right. I did the M&G for the fun and both times I had a really good time. One time with perks and one without. It really didn't make a difference except the perks were nice surprises. Hopefully those who decide to organize them in the future just want to have fun.

NCL should do it the way Celebrity does it. You sign up for the meet and greet on Cruise Critic, Celebrity sets the date, time, room and sends out invitations. That way, NCL would not have to worry about the rumors of someone getting perks and others not, no one would be organizing the meet and greet, thus no one would get any perks.

I didn't mean to imply that you said perks are given. I just wanted to make it clear to others that no one is promised anything.

I really think that way back when a few perks were given to Hosts as a 'thank you' for hosting the cc M&G for NCL. But....since people love to brag....the cat got out of the bag and now everyone thinks they'll get perks. Over the years, also, things have changed and whatever perks one might still get from time to time is nothing like it used to be. Somethings, a simple 'thank you' without bragging to others goes a long way. But again.....some like to brag and I'm sure some who do are also embellishing a bit here and there as well.

Oh and for those who do the M&G on the 'away' ships....have fun. There is no Cagney's there and only Haven people can eat in the Haven Breakfast/lunch area. LOL

Harriet

I didn't mean to imply that you said perks are given. I just wanted to make it clear to others that no one is promised anything.

I really think that way back when a few perks were given to Hosts as a 'thank you' for hosting the cc M&G for NCL. But....since people love to brag....the cat got out of the bag and now everyone thinks they'll get perks. Over the years, also, things have changed and whatever perks one might still get from time to time is nothing like it used to be. Somethings, a simple 'thank you' without bragging to others goes a long way. But again.....some like to brag and I'm sure some who do are also embellishing a bit here and there as well.

Oh and for those who do the M&G on the 'away' ships....have fun. There is no Cagney's there and only Haven people can eat in the Haven Breakfast/lunch area. LOL

Harriet

Actually, some have gotten perks just last year, so they are still giving them out, but maybe it depends on the ship, how the ship does things, etc.

I have put together the M&G 3 times and there were never any perks offered. The one I put together on the Getaway we had quite a few folks with birthdays or anniversaries so I arranged and paid for a cake that would handle 100 as that was the number who had said they were positively coming. We had maybe 60. The staff offered to deliver the rest of the cake to my cabin after everyone left. I politely explained I was traveling solo so share it with the crew. There was easy enough cake for 50 people.

Some groups just don't warm up and others are really great. On the Getaway we all got pretty wasted at the slot pull with the rum punches. I swear they really made those thing stout.

I was interested in reading that on POA that the M&G is on embarkation day. I volunteered to host that one but I think I will see if folks still want to do that.

Hi neighbor,

(We live in Gatineau, P.Q.) The "poker thing" we participated in was to meet at a certain venue on pre-arranged days and pick a card. We paid up front (can't remember exactly but maybe $10.00 per person). We each drew one card at each meeting (held at a particular bar) and on the 5th meeting the person with the best poker hand won a certain amount. The second best hand got a lesser amount and third place a little less. The organizer had kept track of each card drawn at each meeting so they knew who had the best hand. (They had a score sheet that they brought each time that everyone could look at.)

Because it was held at a bar and the same people attended each time we got to talking with others and made friends. I particularly enjoyed it because I had the best hand and I think I won about $70.00.

Wendy

This sounds like a very fun way to do it!

Royal Caribbean does it this way as well.

I have noticed that most of these "get together" parties that half the people are showing up. They really are a hit or miss as some people seem to have no intentions on making conversations. Some sit there like a statue and avoid any eye contact. I often wonder then why bother attending.

• 1 year later...

I've been to M&G on multiple cruise lines. Some were fun and rowdy (with open bar and gift exchange) and some were quiet and it appeared everyone showed up only for the ship giveaways and not really to mingle. Most of them have been a blast and we've made some great friends, some of whom we still talk to. We don't go to all of them but I've found when we dont have family along and its just the hubby and I...we run out of things to talk about by day two (married for 20 years). Not that we find each other boring by any means but its fun to have other people to meet at the bar and chat with!

We missed the first M&G that we signed up for. Breakfast ran longer than we expected and we were a few minutes late. The officers were already standing at the front. It was at La Cucina, so it wasn't possible to "sneak in the back". We've made sure to attend each one since that though. Some have been more lively than others, but it's always been great to meet some fellow Cruise Critic members and see some familiar faces for the rest of the cruise. I also like being able to put a face to a name for the officers that attend.

Thanks to the members who organize the M&Gs, thanks to the officers that attend, and thanks to NCL for hosting! :)

I have hosted numerous Meet & Greets. I have received some perks one time which was totally unexpected. The NCL ship that I mostly sail on doesn't offer them. I try to offer to run the Meet & Greet because I enjoy them & enjoy meeting new people. The one time that someone had volunteered ahead of me unfortunately it didn't go well. If some stopped onto the roll call she would ask how many people were in their group and add them to the list. We had about 50+ on our list but with no activities or reason to attend we had about 9 at the M&G. Don't get me wrong, she was a delightful woman but people just dont realize how much work and nail biting go into the preparation of a Meet & Greet. A perk for me is meeting people, having fun and having passengers & staff say "hi" to you on the cruise.

My hope.....

Harriet

Then this should make you very happy... I have hosted many many M&G's and never have I received a single perk for hosting them. I created name tags unique to each cruise, have provided things like magnets of the ship's itinerary, mini red-solo cups on lanyards, and bought or made other gifts for participants. I do it for the fun of meeting new people and the joy of bringing people together. The only thing that disappoints me is when people don't show up and say hello. Thankfully, this has been rare and usually unavoidable or unintentional. Most people are kind and friendly. M&G's offer opportunities to let all of those wonderful people meet one another.

Then this should make you very happy... I have hosted many many M&G's and never have I received a single perk for hosting them. I created name tags unique to each cruise, have provided things like magnets of the ship's itinerary, mini red-solo cups on lanyards, and bought or made other gifts for participants. I do it for the fun of meeting new people and the joy of bringing people together. The only thing that disappoints me is when people don't show up and say hello. Thankfully, this has been rare and usually unavoidable or unintentional. Most people are kind and friendly. M&G's offer opportunities to let all of those wonderful people meet one another.

Hi.

I'm a red solo cup sailor. :) :D :)

You were our host on Dawn and did a wonderful job.

Thank you.