Need Bourbon Answers Please!

Right you are. Add 'Sippin' between Tennessee and Whiskey. :D

Absolutely. :)

Tennessee sipping whiskey. I think there is actually a law in US that to be officially classified bourbon it must be made in Kentucky

And it must not taste near as smooth and good as Jack Daniels. :D

I have to add something from " wikipedia"

" Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The name "Bourbon" was not applied until the 1820s, and the Kentucky etymology was not advanced until the 1870s.[1] While the liquor may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular."

" Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The name "Bourbon" was not applied until the 1820s, and the Kentucky etymology was not advanced until the 1870s.[1] While the liquor may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular."

.....and it's not considered Nectar of the Gods. ;)

Just off the Breeze and, sadly, Jim Beam is no longer available for prepurchase in the cabin, just Wild Turkey and(oddly) Jack Daniels.

All three were available at the bars though.

Thanks but I think our bourbon snob husbands re looking for Woodford, Blantons or something along those lines.

We're from Kentucky so we know Bourbon. Also, wikipedi is not a reliable source for actual factual information. I know several people who have contacted that page and had information changed because it was wrong.

But thanks for the reply!

Sorry! I had no idea that Tennessee whiskey like Jack was not considered "bourbon". Most bars list it with the bourbons on a drink menu.

I don't know if all the ships have the same bar items but I enjoyed Woodford on the Miracle!

Edited by riffatsea

Bourbon does not have to be made in Kentucky, but the best of it is. My favorite everyday bourbon is Four Roses Small Batch. I do not think they had any of the Four Roses bourbons on board on either of my past cruises.

And, if you ever find yourself in Kentucky, I highly urge you to go to one of the bourbon distilleries for a tour. Makers Mark grounds are beautiful, even though their bourbon tastes like rocket fuel. Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace are highly regarded tours, also.

Bourbon does not have to be made in Kentucky, but the best of it is. My favorite everyday bourbon is Four Roses Small Batch. I do not think they had any of the Four Roses bourbons on board on either of my past cruises.

And, if you ever find yourself in Kentucky, I highly urge you to go to one of the bourbon distilleries for a tour. Makers Mark grounds are beautiful, even though their bourbon tastes like rocket fuel. Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace are highly regarded tours, also.

If you want a great bourbon not made in kentucky try John J bowman. It's from virginia, and really good

Thanks but I think our bourbon snob husbands re looking for Woodford, Blantons or something along those lines.

I can understand that. I'm a huge red wine drinker, and wish the list was better on cruise ships, but it is what it is. Hopefully they have woodford it's a good bourbon. Honestly wild turkey is very good too. It just gets overlooked. Some of their higher end items are world class

Absolutely. :)

And it must not taste near as smooth and good as Jack Daniels. :D

Umm. I am never one to question another's taste in alcohol, but really? JD ain't smooth.

Wanna actually enjoy a bourbon? Koval out of Chicago. Or if nothing else, Bulleit. You will thank me later.

Umm. I am never one to question another's taste in alcohol, but really? JD ain't smooth.

Wanna actually enjoy a bourbon? Koval out of Chicago. Or if nothing else, Bulleit. You will thank me later.

as for the JD, some don't know any better. I guess if oyu cutting it with coke it's smooth. Koval. It's rare that I find something that I haven't heard of, bout you did it. I would love to tr it.

I like bourbon too...I think it may be true... it is said that some folks do better with a sip of bourbon..others vodka for that blood type food theory...

Here in Montana I learned form Dad..LOL..who is always right..right?? That you have a gin or vodka tonic in summer and a whiskey or whiskey sage in the winter. I had Jack and coke in high school or with friends sometimes if they had it when I could take a drink more often..stomach just can't do it much and I hate that..LOL.

My grandma and I had bourbon together and that was her main drink..she loved Jim Beam but started buying Early Times or Ancient Age because she felt they were "just as good and a little less"..she had a drink..one stiff one every night except for when on antibiotics and last two weeks of her life...when we gave her one Christmas we brought her from hospital those last two weeks she held on to that thing for dear life..lol..and was gone in 36 hrs...never an alcoholic but when my grandpa dies she said..not giving up my evening drink!!

I love Woodford Reserve...sigh...

My dad said and I did not know this "supreme fact" until in my 40's LOL..that ladies were not supposed to drink a Jack...or ask for it..LOL.... must be a Montana cowboy thing..LOL..I had a very nice Irish friend and lady who liked jack and coke.

I do not like Scotch or Irish Whiskey too much but once in a while a little sip is/was ok..

Bourbon and Whiskey small places are getting like wine, tea, beer and coffee. I would love to go to a whiskey tasting place..with the help of Zantac..lol.

I think it is alot about the sugar and how finely distilled aged and all..

Love the occasional bourbon threads..love the shock of some guys when that is what you want..LOL...thanks to my Mimi..LOL...Sarah

PS..Whiskey sage is...whiskey or bourbon of choice, ice..splash of water and splash of seven-up..thus not a purist drink and no Sprite..from Dad's Always Right wikipedia..LOL.

Edited by sjn911

Everyone's taste buds are different! I think Jack is VERY smooth! I tend to drink it straight up and have enjoyed sipping it and comparing it to Makers Mark .

When I had Woodford on the Miracle it was my first time as I had asked the bartender which was the highest price one he had and Woodford was the one that fit in that category! What's really funny is that I am a light weight in that I won't have many drinks at a time but I like the one (or 2 ) that I have to be a good one!