Does Princess ever sail from Long Beach?

I've just booked a Princess Panama Canal cruise for February 2016. My TA has booked the Hyatt Regency Long Beach for us the night before the cruise. I did question at the time that I thought Princess always sailed from San Pedro but he insisted the dock had not been scheduled yet so we might sail from either. Is that possible? From what I've read Princess always seems to sail from San Pedro. I'm wondering whether to go back to him and ask to be switched to a San Pedro hotel now or wait till we do get confirmation of the dock.

And given that we will need a taxi from LAX to whichever hotel we stay at and from the hotel to the dock does it make much difference where we stay?

Thanks for any replies

Princess normally does sail from San Pedro.

Personally I enjoy Long Beach more than San Pedro so if it was me I would stay in Long Beach.

In the scheme of things the overall taxi cost will be a little more in Long Beach but not a lot of dollars.

You could have the TA make a hotel reservation in San Pedro as well and then cancel one of them once you know for sure.

Again, if it was me I prefer Long Beach. Try to have them put you in an area of Long Beach that is near the aquarium and the boardwalk.

Keith

Yes, it is possible that you might leave from Long Beach.

If you are on the Island Princess on 2-18-16, you will probably be in San Pedro. The Cruise TimeTable is showing the Carnival Imagination is also in port and it will dock in Long Beach.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Regency in LB and it is a lovely hotel, lots of restaurants around but it is a $20+ cab ride to the "World Cruise Center" in San Pedro. I am not a huge fan of the Crown Plaza in San Pedro but love the Double Tree Inn there and both offer free shuttles to the San Pedro terminal.

If you're embarking on a Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday you'll be leaving out of San Pedro. Long Beach only has one cruise ship pier.

Princess usually only uses Long Beach as a port stop on CA Coastal Cruises from San Francisco.

When are you arriving? Lots more to do in Long Beach pre-cruise than San Pedro. Taxi fare from Long Beach to San Pedro is in the $25 range.

What Sadie said above: the Port of LB has only one berth. Historically Princess (and Holland) will only use it if doing a coastal cruise as a port stop (and not for embarking or disembarking) and even then, not if Carnival has a ship there (as they get first dibs).

Some people will stay at a Long Beach hotel even if their ship is sailing from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. But they have to make sure that their driver (taxi, shuttle, friend) takes them to the Port of LA and not the Port of LB.

If you stay in LB and get there early enough, you can walk around the waterfront (if it's not raining, which it could be in February). There's an excellent aquarium there, also Shoreline Village which has some nice restaurants.

Thank you all for your really helpful replies. Yes, it is the cruise on the 16th February 2016 so we will be going from San Pedro then.

But in view of all your comments and suggestions I think we'll stick to our LB hotel. We will have time to have a wander around so thanks for your ideas and for the heads up about the taxi fare and making sure the driver takes us to the right dock!

Beth

Beth, I too would take a look at the Hyatt Hotel in Long Beach.

It is near the board walk and several nice restaurants and the Aquarium.

I am not big on San Pedro. I know some people like the town but I really prefer Long Beach.

Keith

But in view of all your comments and suggestions I think we'll stick to our LB hotel. We will have time to have a wander around...

Yes, agreed. The Hyatt is fabulous and we really enjoyed Long Beach. We even went back and had a land vacation there once for a few days, as well as having stayed there before cruising from San Pedro.