Carnival Orders 4 New Ships

LSUcajunmom

It seems to me that RCI and to a lesser extent, NCL, are building megaships to put a lot more activities on board. You have actual Broadway shows, ice skating, aqua theaters, bumper cars, gardens, open air promenades, zip lines, etc.. It seems that carnival is doing it predominantly to get more people on board. RCI and NCL are doing that as well, but they are offering more. I'm sorry, but an IMAX theater isn't a big deal. I have 10 of them within 20 minutes of me. The sky cycle thing seems cool, but it also reeks of, "that Disney waterside that goes around the ship is too expensive". I don't think people really want the megaship crowds without all of the extra megaship activities.

It I don't think people really want the megaship crowds without all of the extra megaship activities.

Yes, the facilities (gimmicks?) like bumper cars and ice Rinks etc. do help sell these giants.

As you say, Carnival tend avoid them, which give RCI and NCL the advantaged in my opinion.

The biggest passenger capacity afloat is NOT a good selling point!

LNG is also not likely to be inspiring enough in itself, to persuade Joe public to book.

However, maybe carnival do have some gimmicks up their sleeves?

Edited by London-Calling

Yes, the facilities (gimmicks?) like bumper cars and ice Rinks etc. do help sell these giants.

As you say, Carnival tend avoid them, which give RCI and NCL the advantaged in my opinion.

The biggest passenger capacity afloat is NOT a good selling point!

LNG is also not likely to be inspiring enough in itself, to persuade Joe public to book.

However, maybe carnival do have some gimmicks up their sleeves?

I'll admit that many of these things are gimmicks, but top shelf entertainment isn't.

It seems to me that RCI and to a lesser extent, NCL, are building megaships to put a lot more activities on board. You have actual Broadway shows, ice skating, aqua theaters, bumper cars, gardens, open air promenades, zip lines, etc.. It seems that carnival is doing it predominantly to get more people on board. RCI and NCL are doing that as well, but they are offering more. I'm sorry, but an IMAX theater isn't a big deal. I have 10 of them within 20 minutes of me. The sky cycle thing seems cool, but it also reeks of, "that Disney waterside that goes around the ship is too expensive". I don't think people really want the megaship crowds without all of the extra megaship activities.

I for one don't want mega ships and all the toys that go with them. Sounds much more like a disney or six flags vacation than a cruise to me.

I for one don't want mega ships and all the toys that go with them. Sounds much more like a disney or six flags vacation than a cruise to me.

I think there is a market for both, but I don't think there is a real market for a megaship with all of the passengers, but none of the activities. Instead of half-heartedy competing in that market, I think CCL would be better off building more ships in the 85,000 gt area, and drastically overhauling some of their current fleet (not just putting in a burger joint and a new waterside).

I think there is a market for both, but I don't think there is a real market for a megaship with all of the passengers, but none of the activities. Instead of half-heartedy competing in that market, I think CCL would be better off building more ships in the 85,000 gt area, and drastically overhauling some of their current fleet (not just putting in a burger joint and a new waterside).

I don't think they are competing in this market

...but I don't think there is a real market for a megaship with all of the passengers, but none of the activities.

Yes!

Arison said a few years back that to be a major cruise line you need a 'gimmick'. Carnival's is the 'fun ship'.

The whole point of a mega-ship is that it MUST have facilities that you cannot find on a small to mid sized ship. They are never going to win on friendliness and intimacy.

RCI have packed Quantum/Anthem with dining rooms and bars, very like NCL's big new ships. Cleverly many of the 'gimmicks' are on deck such as I-Fly (freefall simulator), North Star (observation pod) and the Seapelx with it's bumper cars. This saves internal space for revenue generation and cabins.

In fairness, we know nothing about Carnival's new mega ships and what facilities that they might have.

I bet they no longer have one big main dining room!

Edited by London-Calling

Yes!

Arison said a few years back that to be a major cruise line you need a 'gimmick'. Carnival's is the 'fun ship'.

The whole point of a mega-ship is that it MUST have facilities that you cannot find on a small to mid sized ship. They are never going to win on friendliness and intimacy.

RCI have packed Quantum/Anthem with dining rooms and bars, very like NCL's big new ships. Cleverly many of the 'gimmicks' are on deck such as I-Fly (freefall simulator), North Star (observation pod) and the Seapelx with it's bumper cars. This saves internal space for revenue generation and cabins.

In fairness, we know nothing about Carnival's new mega ships and what facilities that they might have.

I bet they no longer have one big main dining room!

Carnivals new ship does have a MDR, thankfully no amusement park. They at least to date (thank The Lord) are staying away from the over the top nonsense.

Interesting reading. Thanks to those that took time to educate the rest of us! I didn't think I would like the Dream and Breeze as much as I did after enjoying the smaller ships so much. They took some getting used to and I am sure the same will be true when we cruise with 7k other people. I suspect we won't even notice HOW these newer ships are actually powered. Until there is a fire, of course. The smoking issue and possible gas leaks are concerning on a ship full of people as opposed to ships used primarily for transporting goods.

How do you know that?

(I'm talking about the four 180,000 newbuilds)

None of the 4 have been designated to

Be going to Carnival. Carnival's only new builds (Vista and Vista II) will have MDR's. Even if one of the 4 you talk about were to go to Carnival, I would wager it would have a MDR.

Good point!

I still feel that Carnival are under pressure to go 'Freestyle' along with NCL and RCI.

I agree they are under pressure to follow along the same lines as rccl and ncl. I don't think they are convinced that it "works" for their clientele. I would agree with that assessment. Cruising as we know this changing. To what degree remains to be seen.

• 4 weeks later...