Carnival Orders 4 New Ships

LSUcajunmom

Those definitely aren't small, and this is a ferry. How long a voyage does she go on and how long between refueling?

She only does overnight sailings and between ports that offer LNG refueling capabilities.

If they keep the fuel liquidized, why would they need all the re-liquification equipment? I know we are building some engines at work that get better mileage that the diesel counterparts. Plus LNG is much cheaper than diesel.

LNG tends to boil off, raising the pressure in the tank, since the tank cannot be vented. To prevent over pressuring the tanks, the boil off gas needs to be dealt with, as I've said either through burning it in a variety of means, or reliquefaction. The LNG carrying ships use this boil off to power the ship, but they are almost exclusively steam plants.

Isn't the vista suppose to have a sister ship? Were does carnival stand with that?

Yes Vista will have a sister ship and these two orders are outside the 9-ship order for all Carnival Corp brands that was previously announced. HAL also has two ships on order that are outside this 9 ship order and Princess has one (headed to China). It's quite possible that one or more of the 9 ships will go to Carnival Cruise Lines, and if so it will likely be an entirely new design (Vista is based off the Destiny/Conquest/Splendor/Breeze). So far only 2 of the 9 ship order has been spoken for, and those 2 ships will go to Aida. Another two of the same design are expected to go to Costa, but this hasn't been confirmed yet.

Edited by eroller

No sure where you got this information from

I would speculate the following based on information I have heard:

2: AIDA

2: Costa

2: P&O

2: Carnival

1: Princess

Of course the beauty of this arrangement is flexibility. Carnival Corp. has secured the building slots but doesn't have to decide the brand allocations just yet. It can be changed or adapted depending on market conditions and brand performance in the next few years or soon after the actual contracts are signed.

Like you mentioned, the arrangement is flexible and while I expect Cunard to receive a new build I suppose they can be considered a "wild card" of sorts as it could go either way at this moment; but I can definitely see your scenario playing out.

Leave it to Carnival to design something smaller but carry more passengers, then brag about it being the highest capacity.

Carnival have said “making much more efficient use of the ship’s spaces”. What does that mean, I wonder?

They will certainly need all the space that they can find to squeeze all of those passengers on-board.

Maybe this means storing the LNG tanks on deck/upper superstructure, freeing up internal space traditionally used for fuel storage, for passengers.

Just a guess!

Edited by London-Calling

Carnival have said “making much more efficient use of the ship’s spaces”. What does that mean, I wonder?

They will certainly need all the space that they can find to squeeze all of those passengers on-board.

Maybe this means storing the LNG tanks on deck/upper superstructure, freeing up internal space traditionally used for fuel storage, for passengers.

Just a guess!

No, that doesn't work, as the tanks on deck would require open space around them with no access, and higher rated fire boundaries on the facing walls to the inside. And the space used for fuel tanks is across the bottom of the ship and up the sides to around the waterline. I don't think even Carnival could sell cabins in those areas.

What they are doing is carving up the public spaces more, most likely doing triage and determining which spaces that current ships have that are underutilized and turning these into cabins. So, the quiet spots where you can get away from the crowds will disappear.

Just a guess!

I doubt you would want to use the space traditionally used for fuel storage. That would be the bottom of the ship and the sides below the waterline.

Perhaps they are going to move all crew to the lower spaces and reclaim that space for passengers? Although that means either a lot of interior cabins or public spaces without an outside view.

Ultimately it is all speculation until the design is released.

There is no way you will find me on any of those LNG ships. Those things are floating bombs! No wonder why the Port of Mobile has banned them when they expressed interest in an offshore terminal. What was Carnival Corporation thinking? Have the cutbacks left Cutback Cruise Line (cheers, DD) and made their way to the safety of the ships throughout the holding company? With Cutback Cruise Line's poor preventative maintenance, if any LNG ships should find their way over, I'd be scared for not only my safety, but the lives of the thousands onboard.

2011.11.16-macondo-explosion.jpg

4-25-AL1.jpg

LNG.jpg

Edited by Gryffindor55

If you think some ships feel crowded now, wait til you see these! Passenger to space ratio is very important.

Passenger space is important BUT can also be MISLEADING. An example would be the atrium. On some ships the atrium can span 7 or 8 stories. This space is included in the passenger space ratio but is misleading because it's just open space...nothing is there except air. Storage spaces, special use venues, bowling alleys, ice skating rinks,etc. can also be misleading because they don't alleviate the ratio because they are only used at special times. Carnival states that they are going to use the space in the most efficient way possible. We can see an example of this with the atrium being only 3 floors on some ships.

Here is an example of efficient use of space in an elevator ...

8-Only4toacabin.jpg

Here is an example of efficient use of space on a train ...

overcrowded.jpg

Here is an example of efficient use of space on a truck ...

ptg01466890.jpg

Here is an example of efficient use of space on a motorcycle ...

47rs299612a557.jpg

Here is an example of efficient use of space on something with wheels ...

Truck-Loaded-with-people.jpg

And here is an example of efficient use of space on a boat ...

47rs226312a536.jpg

Efficient does not mean good. It just means that as much of the available space is being used.

It is more efficient to use a Smart Car to transport two people than it is to use a limo for the same purpose.

There is no way you will find me on any of those LNG ships. Those things are floating bombs! No wonder why the Port of Mobile has banned them when they expressed interest in an offshore terminal. What was Carnival Corporation thinking? Have the cutbacks left Cutback Cruise Line (cheers, DD) and made their way to the safety of the ships throughout the holding company? With Cutback Cruise Line's poor preventative maintenance, if any LNG ships should find their way over, I'd be scared for not only my safety, but the lives of the thousands onboard.

Please, you're comparing an LNG fueled ship with a drill rig blow-out? Not even in the same category of risk.

LNG carriers have been sailing the oceans since the '70's, and there has never been a single fire or explosion of the LNG, even when these ships experience an engine room fire, or a grounding. And these ships carry vastly more LNG than a cruise ship ever would.

One thing is for sure: they will be Non-Smoking vessels:)

Not true. LNG tanks are not vented to the atmosphere like fuel tanks. Therefore, under normal circumstances there will be no natural gas vapors anywhere near the passengers, and there will be gas sensors in the engineering spaces, but no one smokes there anyway.

LNG is safe when all Safety procedures are followed by all onboard. FACT.

Sorry, but that isn't saying much. Everything goes great when everyone does what they are supposed to. The problem comes when someone doesn't follow procedures.

I'm not saying that LNG is unsafe, but it definitely isn't residual or bunker fuel. It just needs to be safe enough so that a stupid mistake or two doesn't endanger the lives of the crew and passengers.

LNG is safe when all Safety procedures are followed by all onboard. FACT.

We all know Carnival isn't one for following safety procedures. Certain cruise directors and captains can't even carry out a proper safety briefing at the muster stations.

Also, Carnival isn't known for preventative maintenance.

Storage spaces, special use venues, bowling alleys, ice skating rinks,etc. can also be misleading because they don't alleviate the ratio because they are only used at special times. Carnival states that they are going to use the space in the most efficient way possible. We can see an example of this with the atrium being only 3 floors on some ships.

Yes but I would rather have a huge atrium or ice skating rink than have the same space filled with cabins. That is exactly what Carnival will do and what they refer to as "an efficient use of space". Pile them in!

Edited by eroller

Will be very interesting to see how this shakes out but cant imagine all these people on a ship that is smaller than the Oasis class.

BTW wasnt JH making fun of these big ships not that long ago?

Exactly and Micky Arison also publicly stated that Carnival had no intentions of building such massive ships. My how times have changed. Now they will be touting these cattle carriers as the best thing since sliced bread.

Exactly and Micky Arison also publicly stated that Carnival had no intentions of building such massive ships. My how times have changed. Now they will be touting these cattle carriers as the best thing since sliced bread.

Duh. ;)

What the other guy has sucks, until you decide to go get one yourself. Oasis of the Seas has been sailing since 2009 and still gets premium pricing. I'm sure Micky and the board were jealous.

Will be very interesting to see how this shakes out but cant imagine all these people on a ship that is smaller than the Oasis class.

BTW wasnt JH making fun of these big ships not that long ago?

I don't understand why he thinks it is okay to make fun of ships that are owned by other cruise lines and their investment partners but not okay for another cruise line to call his ships a rust bucket.