Hell's Kitchen TV ....

I've been watching reruns of this show. Risotto, Risotto...it keeps popping up. I have never had risotto. What makes this dish......and will I be able to sample it on the Freedom of Seas his August? Thanks!

:). Bobbi

Risotto is made with arborio rice. It is a short, "fat" grain of rice. There are many variations of risotto dishes. There's saffron, seafood, mushroom, etc. ..many options. It basically is made by slowly cooking in a pan and gradually adding broth, stirring continually. The starch in the rice and slow cooking creates a creamy consistency. I don't remember any risotto on the MDR menu. It really doesn't lend itself to banquet style cooking. It can't really be "held" once its done because it thickens up. I do think my husband may have ordered it in one of the specialty restaurants. I know Celebrity makes it in the Tuscan Grill. The menu for Chops and Giovanni is on this sight if you do a search you may be able to check. We went last year when Portofino was still on Freedom. Hope you find some, risotto is delicious.. Enjoy your cruise:)

Giovanni's does, I believe, have a Mushroom Risotto. I had the one at Portofino's and loved it. I think I've also had it at Giovanni's and loved it too. But I love mushroom in a pasta dish, even if the pasta is rice.

Funny, I am also a big Hell's Kitchen fan and that's what made me try Risotto also. If you like Mushrooms, definitely give it a try.

I have had good and well not so good Risotto. The not so good, had been sitting too long...

As for HK, I don't know how these cooks/chefs think they can win HK without knowing how to cook Scallops and Risotto... 90% of the time I hear Ramsey screaming, its about scallops and risotto

Edited by LilBlackDress

I have had good and well not so good Risotto. The not so good, had been sitting too long...

As for HK, I don't know how these cooks/chefs think they can win HK without knowing how to cook Scallops and Risotto... 90% of the time I hear Ramsey screaming, its about scallops and risotto

and the wellingtons, lol.. i think thats why they keep those three on the menu because hed have to come up with some new lines. lol

Boy, thank you guys! I'm not a mushroom fan, but I love scallops. We're going to Orlando for 4 nights before the cruise. I'm on a mission to try risotto. I'll have to look at the Speciality restaurants on Freedom.

Yep....the Beef Wellington gets Chef Ramsey yelling ... WTH ....what doesn't? I choose to believe he's not that angry screamin Chef in his real restaurants. Of course, I've never worked in the field ...so maybe that's how it is???

Again, thank you

I reckon about three of the contestants are selected as genuine contenters, the rest are selected for their entertainment value regardless of whether they can cook or not. :D

IMHO risotto has to be cooked to order. Some cheaper restaurants pre-cook it then finish it, often in a microwave, which doesn't work. I never order risotto in a restaurant. It is known as the death dish in the Australian MasterChef show, which is now in it's seventh season and no-one has produced an acceptable risotto on the show in all those years. Every year someone tries to break the jinx but no-one ever does.

Yep....the Beef Wellington gets Chef Ramsey yelling ... WTH ....what doesn't? I choose to believe he's not that angry screamin Chef in his real restaurants. Of course, I've never worked in the field ...so maybe that's how it is???

We went to the Gordon Ramsay Restaurant in London a couple of years ago. Whilst he owns the restaurant and is executive chef, he doesn't cook there regularly (if at all). However the staff said he does drop in very regularly and that he is wonderful to work for. He expects the absolute best from people and motivates them to achieve this.

I've watched him on both Hell's Kitchen and US MasterChef and I think much of his Hell's Kitchen behaviour is purely for show. In MasterChef he can be biting (and very funny) but appears to genuinely care about how the contestants are doing.

Enjoyed a scallop risotto on an 8 night Explorer cruise a few years ago, before Royal changed the menus.

Also enjoy Hell's Kitchen and MasterChef.

I make my own Parmesan Risotto from a box at home.

I make my own Parmesan Risotto from a box at home.

:eek:

Parmesan in a box? Can't be proper parmesan as that, like any cheese, needs to be refrigerated. The stuff sold in packets and boxes on supermarket shelves is not true parmesan and tastes nothing like the real stuff. :eek:

Had an awesome bay scallop appetiser on Rhapsody in March. Perfectly cooked scallops with cauliflower puree and a chorizo crumb. It was on the last night's menu. Our waiter neatly slid a second serve under my nose just as I finished the first, saying he had a spare. I pounced on it but I did let DH try one of that serve ;)

:eek:

Parmesan in a box? Can't be proper parmesan as that, like any cheese, needs to be refrigerated. The stuff sold in packets and boxes on supermarket shelves is not true parmesan and tastes nothing like the real stuff. :eek:

There's a packet of the arborio rice and a pouch with the parmesan seasoning mix. I add grated Parmesan cheese when I'm ready to eat it per the instructions on the box. I use the Kraft Parmesan that is sold unrefrigerated in a bottle and then refrigerate it when opened.

I bring it to work and eat it while watching Hell's Kitchen or MasterChef. ;)

There's a packet of the arborio rice and a pouch with the parmesan seasoning mix. I add grated Parmesan cheese when I'm ready to eat it per the instructions on the box. I use the Kraft Parmesan that is sold unrefrigerated in a bottle and then refrigerate it when opened.

I bring it to work and eat it while watching Hell's Kitchen or MasterChef. ;)

Yuck! :eek: :D

I gave up eating Kraft parmesan about twenty years ago, after someone introduced me to freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, althought grana padano is almost as good.

Actually I should say I gave up avoiding eating Kraft parmesan. It smelt and tasted like vomit to me.

I could never understand why people raved over parmesan until I tried the real thing.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Boy, thank you guys! I'm not a mushroom fan, but I love scallops. We're going to Orlando for 4 nights before the cruise. I'm on a mission to try risotto. I'll have to look at the Speciality restaurants on Freedom.

Again, thank you

My son's brother in law is an executive chef, and he has made more than one server cry. :)

If you're in Orlando 4 day in advance. There are two places I know that serve delicious Risotto. One is Jiko The Cooking Place in Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge and the other is California Grill in Disney's Contemporary Resort.

I had a shrimp risotto while on my last Explorer sailing and I had to stop myself from licking the plate! It was absolutely amazing and hoping I can get it on the Adventure in September.

we had it one night this past week on Independence .... so you may be in luck ... and yes it was delicious!

OHMy I am a Hell's Kitchen die heart fan! Watched every season and will tell ya I own the dvd's for a lot of them!

I too was wondering what was up about the rositto that Gordon keeps on the menu and b+i+ing about. OMG - had my first one on the Oasis and it was awesome.

I've ordered it on all my cruises since and have never been disappointed.

Thank you Gordon!:o

Again, thank you

My son's brother in law is an executive chef, and he has made more than one server cry. :)

MarkM you are kind -- we all know we are thinking WT*! I have the earlier episodes on DVD -- there is some difference in him (and his sous chef's), but as they go along - yes it does get more 'drama'.

papa -- you are correct, my cousin's daughter is a chef and how Gordon is can be how someone is in a workplace. Considering she is a she and getting horrendous comments I'm amazed she stuck it out -- but huge respect for her for doing so.

Edited by jaspercat

Yes, I will absolutely have to try risotto AND at a restaurant in Orlando and on the Freedom ( if they offer it on the menu).

I agree about only using fresh parm. I grew up with fresh. My Mom would go to the Italian market and buy a wedge. I don't know grated was an option. These were also the days when we'd get veal for cutlets from the same market, and yummy fresh pastries !! Back in the 60's early 70's.

Thanks again guys!

Bobbi:)