Back up photos - SD card to USB Flash Drive

Sand Pine

We will be traveling on Insignia. Does anyone know if I can use one of the computers on the ship to backup my SD card to a USB flash drive? The SD card reader has a USB connector and the flash drive plugs into a USB port. The computer would only be used to facilitate the transfer from one to the other. No data would be copied to the computer. I am looking for a way to back-up my photo files while on the ship.

Most of the cruise lines with shared computers available for passenger access don't recognise external devices. This protects from malware & virus attacks from other sources without adequate security screening. So don't think the use of the USB or the SD card will be recognised by the shared PC.

Karyn

I think Kaz is right although my info is very old.

I once brought a flash drive into the computer center (this was at least 5 years ago, maybe more) and was told I couldn't use it. Well, I could have if I wanted to spend something like $30 which I did not!

I now take my own laptop with me so that I don't have this problem.

I would just say that don't assume that you can take a flash drive or an SD card and use it in the computer center. Now that I always bring my own laptop (and I never use the one they provide in the suites because they are pretty much useless except for email) -- I can do what I need to with other programs and uploading photos. At the time when I tried to use the flash drive there was NO way to do so.

Since I don't go to the computer center unless I have a problem, I'm assuming that you need your own laptop or tablet to do anything on your own. If you're in a suite that has laptop, it doesn't do much ...

Nice, if you don't want to drag your own along!

Correct me if I'm wrong! But on our recent Marina cruise I didn't see any access points for a flash drive in the internet center ...

These days, I just travel with my own ...

Mura

I agree I do not think you can do it with the set up the ship's computers have

I take my netbook & flashdrive but also extra SD cards with address label attached just in case I lose one :)

We will be traveling on Insignia. Does anyone know if I can use one of the computers on the ship to backup my SD card to a USB flash drive? The SD card reader has a USB connector and the flash drive plugs into a USB port. The computer would only be used to facilitate the transfer from one to the other. No data would be copied to the computer. I am looking for a way to back-up my photo files while on the ship.

You have to have your own computer. Simply by plugging in the drives you are copying data thru the computer so in essence, to the computer. You wiould need 2 USB ports to do this and of all the cruise ships I have been on, they don't allow access to the USB ports so out of luck using the ships computers.

What you might try to do if you don't bring your own laptop is to finde another passenger who wouldn't mind using his or her computer to transfer your files.

Another thought is to simply purchase more SD cards, so inexpensive now and simply change the cards and bring them all home to do your copying after your cruise. Good luck with whatever you decide.

We use a small device to do that instead of having to carry our laptop. It is an iogear media share hub unit that accepts wifi, USB, SDXC cards and cat 5 connections in and out. It also has enough battery power to recharge our iPad if needed you can put a huge memory card in it too. It is small enough to fit into a man's shirt pocket. You may wish to check it out. Various units range in price from $35 to $150 depending on features. A very good one would cost around $50. Search for "media share hub."

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am looking at a Kingston Mobileite Wireless G2. I will be able to use it with my IPAD to transfer the files from the SD card to a thumb drive, the device has ports for both. I will need to use an app on the IPAD. The unit connects to the IPAD by wireless.