So confused about men's dress code

I didn't get that part, either, as I think of khakis and chinos as being interchangeable terms. According to the Orvis website:

http://www.orvis.com/news/products-we-love/chino-vs-khaki-do-you-know-the-difference/

So, chinos are apparently a little dressier, but I don't think most Americans recognize the difference, so if we were wearing a pair of chinos, we'd likely call them khakis.

Thanks for researching and posting this.

I found it interesting.

Thanks for the orvis link about chinos v khakis.... Paul65.

I too thought they were the same thing. My polo comment was just tongue in cheek.....they are not just for golf......

They are used for polo too of course......and as smart casual attire in any situation including dining on RCCL!

Ironically khakis would be classed as jeans at our golf club! Because of the stitching!

Most posters have it right on non formal night, but formal night are only if you want to dress in tux, suit, or sport coat.............! Do not waste your money on special clothes just for the "SUGGESTED FORMAL NIGHT" unless you really want to, and many people do. I just did a TA and a Cruise to Norway. MANY MANY Uk and europeans on board, many dressed but many did not and just as many ate in the MDR not the Windjammer which on the TA had better food.

There is nothing formal about formal nights, well maybe the head waiter will have a white jacket on, or depending on the cruise, a little and I do meant a little upscale menu.

Just look a little nicer on Formal night and you will fit right in and be happy.

I'm traveling with extended family on Liberty of the Seas, five day cruise to Bermuda, in less than two weeks. After scouring all kinds of info, both official from RCCL and various posters, I must say I'm confused as ever on what the "real" dress codes are.

If I process the info right, I come to the conclusion I'll need both a business suit for the Formal Night, and a sport coat (with or without tie) for the Smart Casual nights. Do I have this right or all wrong?

Many thanks!

As you have seen from the previous answers there are lots of options for casual and formal nights. In your case you may want to opt for either a suit or a sport coat depending on your plans in New York pre and post the cruise and whether you will be dinning on shore in Bermuda. If you are dinning at a really fancy place bring what their dress code recommends and use that for Royal's Formal night attire too.

Golf or polo shirts are a "style"...not sport-specific! Most men will be wearing one or the other on casual nights!

You mean I can wear my polo shirts to other places besides the polo field and my golf shirts off the golf coarse. Thanks, I never knew that.

I wear suits almost every day for work and really long for casual attire on my vacations.

We're sailing Liberty on 7/2 for the 9 day itinerary and I've chosen already to go to only 1 of the formal nights (the other will probably be dinner at Johnny Rockets). My family and friends will dress up that one formal night as we like to get some of the really nice pictures. I will wear a suit that night and try and look my best.

The other nights will be primarily shorts and short sleeve button down shirts. In my defense (not that I need any), I have some very nice shorts. I'm not wearing jean shorts or sloppy cargo shorts. They are nice designer shorts that are comfortable and look good too. I don't wear sandals. I have some very nice deck shoes to go with them and feel the entire look is representative of casual attire. Most importantly, I'm comfortable and my daughter and wife think I look good too.

I will bring a pair of khakis or 2 and may wear those too, but I've really gotten used to the more casual attire I've worn on the last few cruises we've gone on.

Just my 2 cents.

15 days!!!!!

By the way, on this topic, I found the following statement interesting from a recent Cruise Critic article comparing Royal Caribbean to Carnival. Under dining, it said the following about RC:

At least one formal night per cruise, except on Quantum-class ships, requiring passengers to dress up for dinner (or eat in the buffet where casual is acceptable)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1780

I know it's not really a requirement to dress up for dinner on formal night, though. I laughed, when I read that part, because all I could think about was certain posters blowing a gasket, if they read that, screaming, "It's SUGGESTED not REQUIRED! IT'S MY VACATION!! I PAID FOR IT! HOW DARE YOU TELL ME TO GO TO THE BUFFET!"

Edited by Paul65

While I have only been on 2 cruises and our most recent (which seems like forever ago, 7 years ago) I felt that we fit in to what the suggested dress code was or that our attire was appropriate.

My husband has never owned a suit or a tux, and I doubt he ever will. With that being said he can dress up pretty handsomely! On our last cruise on formal night he wore a very nice pair of black dress pants, a button up long sleeve shirt, a tie, and black dress shoes. This is what he will wear again on our upcoming cruise that has two formal nights.

On the other nights he would nice khaki's and a polo shirt with brown shoes. Which is what he will wear again this upcoming cruise.

don't stress over it too much, as long as your not naked you will be able to find a place to eat :D

well I should take that back, if you choose to eat your room service naked in your room then go for it, just have something on when its delivered, HAHA