Messages from home possible?

Is there a way for someone to get a message to me on Oasis? We leave Saturday and I have an aunt dying from cancer. I know I can't be there if it happens next week but I would like to know without turning on my phone and then using data to download all of my emails & messages.

Is there a way for someone to get a message to me on Oasis? We leave Saturday and I have an aunt dying from cancer. I know I can't be there if it happens next week but I would like to know without turning on my phone and then using data to download all of my emails & messages.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Extras&faqId=267&faqSubjectId=337&faqType=faq

If I were in your position I would have a family member text me...that would be the easiest.

I'll be on the Oasis with you. :) I bet you can find cheaper methods of callling from the ports, at least Cozumel for sure. Not sure about Falmouth and Labadee.

Safe travels and see you onboard! :D

Turn off data on your phone. Whilst the ship is at sea, your phone will still have cell signals via 'Cellular at Sea'. You will still be able to receive SMS message which should be free depending on your provider. Just have a member of your family to send you a text message.

Turn off data on your phone. Whilst the ship is at sea, your phone will still have cell signals via 'Cellular at Sea'. You will still be able to receive SMS message which should be free depending on your provider. Just have a member of your family to send you a text message.

This is a good idea. However, at least with AT&T, any incoming calls would be billed at $2.49 per minute, even if they are unanswered. One way around this is to set calls to immediately forward to voice mail.

The receive a text message, your phone must be turned on. You will pay for texting, but it is cheap.

Turn data roaming off. Repeat, turn data roaming off.

If you do decide to download emails, etc.... use the ships internet. Still not cheap, but less so than data roaming on your cell.

Again, turn data roaming off.

I just check emails periodically. I go on line, download all my emails, log off, read the emails. Of course I carry my computer. But you can get a variety of wifi packages. If you don't want to do that, there is usually somewhere in each port that you can access free wifi. Take your phone and check emails that way.

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt. That is a tough situation to have hanging over you during a cruise.

If I were you....I would get the internet while on board. It is very affordable at $15 per day and very fast now that OASIS has the upgrade. You should be able to text, and face time via wifi. I think if you download skype you can call home as well via wifi.

The receive a text message, your phone must be turned on. You will pay for texting, but it is cheap.

Turn data roaming off. Repeat, turn data roaming off.

If you do decide to download emails, etc.... use the ships internet. Still not cheap, but less so than data roaming on your cell.

Again, turn data roaming off.

Agree with the above but if you are worried about getting unwanted phone calls, you only need turn your phone on once or twice a day for a few minutes to check for text messages. Text message servers will hold any sent texts for at least 48 hours so when you turn the phone on you should receive any texts sent to you since the last time you turned your phone on as long as it was within those 48 hours or whatever your carrier's time limit is.