Panama Canal, which would you pick

nyc12345

We want to go back when the new locks open though I cannot see that they will open when expected.

The original opening was scheduled for this month, June, 2015.

I, too, would like to go back when the new locks open (opening day would be great) but if you can predict (accurately) when the new locks will open you should head to Vegas.:)

The original opening was scheduled for this month, June, 2015.

I, too, would like to go back when the new locks open (opening day would be great) but if you can predict (accurately) when the new locks will open you should head to Vegas.:)

Certainly the opening date has suffered a number of set backs from the original date which would have marked the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Canal. The current opening date is planned for April 1, 2016, (I don't think April Fools day is celebrated in Panama;)). Seriously, that date is becoming more certain each passing day. The project is about 90% complete and they have begun the flooding of the locks on the Atlantic side and expect to start testing with ships around September after initial tests of the equipment.

To the OP, the full transit would be my choice, however the partial transit is not a "poor" second choice if that suits your current plans better. Another thought is Princess offers on some of its Canal itinerary what is called a 2 Day Canal Experience... this gives you a day in Panama in addition to the Canal transit. A great option if you can arrange it.

Here is a snap from the Atlantic Expansion Cam with water in the lower and middle chambers as of yesterday.

29f5ao1.jpg

We did the partial transit last year (I think it was 11 days though) out of Ft Lauderdale on the Coral. We did that to avoid flying to the west coast (we have a second home in Florida and can just drive to the port). I would like to do a full transit one day but I was not disappointed in the partial transit. On the day of the canal visit we took an excursion to the Gatun Locks and the expansion center which we thought was very interesting.

We did the partial transit last year (I think it was 11 days though) out of Ft Lauderdale on the Coral. We did that to avoid flying to the west coast (we have a second home in Florida and can just drive to the port). I would like to do a full transit one day but I was not disappointed in the partial transit. On the day of the canal visit we took an excursion to the Gatun Locks and the expansion center which we thought was very interesting.

We plan to do that excursion when we cruise the first week in November.

Thanks for the awesome pictures. Where's the best place to be during the transit? Front/back/side/everywhere? :)

You will likely get several different answers to this question. We did two full transits, east to west and later west to east. Some choose to plant themselves in one spot in the very front, and it does provide a good view entering the locks. I enjoyed watching an entry into the lock, but then tended to move about the ship. The activity happening from the side and aft of the ship was just as fascinating.

My vote would be to move about and see it from all angles. Have fun.