4180 Westerdam Dec 2015 good choice or ??? pls advise

Dana57

Hi!

I haven't cruised since back in 1994. My DH has never cruised (he is not sure he wants to though - but he has agreed to try it). Nor have we had a honeymoon (married in 2010), nor anniversary celebration (5 years), nor any holiday for either of us in over 20 years, so this is our big long awaited celebration! Looking forward to it. Love the Cruise Critic posts... learning alot! Nice to meet fellow cruisers.

I am now 2nd guessing our cabin choice (4180) Eastern Caribbean Dec 2015... I know IF he loves the cruise I can book the next one and if not, well at least he experienced one. Quiet, peace, freedom, and no unforeseen charges would help. (ages 57/60 - DH abit limited in walking long distances.) so..

1. good cabin or your choice (Neptune is a splurge but I so want DH to love cruising by having a great time. To hate it due to wrong line, wrong ship, wrong cabin is not a fair judgement on cruising. Advice?)

2. book shore excursions now or wait and adapt as needed.

3. buy SBG now or onboard?

I have read some great posts in the last month regarding all of above... So very grateful for the education but feeling overwhelmed atm. I so want this to be a special event for my DH. Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Edited by Dana57

Hi!

I haven't cruised since back in 1994. My DH has never cruised (he is not sure he wants to though - but he has agreed to try it). Nor have we had a honeymoon (married in 2010), nor anniversary celebration (5 years), nor any holiday for either of us in over 20 years, so this is our big long awaited celebration! Looking forward to it. Love the Cruise Critic posts... learning alot! Nice to meet fellow cruisers.

I am now 2nd guessing our cabin choice (4180) Eastern Caribbean Dec 2015... I know IF he loves the cruise I can book the next one and if not, well at least he experienced one. Quiet, peace, freedom, and no unforeseen charges would help. (ages 57/60 - DH abit limited in walking long distances.) so..

1. good cabin or your choice (Neptune is a splurge but I so want DH to love cruising by having a great time. To hate it due to wrong line, wrong ship, wrong cabin is not a fair judgement on cruising. Advice?)

I have read some great posts in the last month regarding all of above... So very grateful for the education but feeling overwhelmed atm. I so want this to be a special event for my DH. Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

You are in an "aft-wrap" cabin - that is in the far aft corner of the ship. I have been in this cabin after my foot surgery and can attest that while it is a nice cabin, there was ALOT of walking involved. Everytime I wanted to go to the Neptune Lounge, I had to walk about 60% of the length of the ship, plus take an elevator ride - it wore me out at times.

While the view is very nice, an Eastern Caribbean cruise generally does not have the great views that you would get in places such as Alaska, Panama Canal, etc., so in your case I would opt for a suite located near (but not right at) the mid-ship elevators. This REALLY cuts down on the walking!

If you are set on the aft-wrap, see if you can move up one deck to 5190 or 5191. These aft-wraps have HUGE completely covered verandas (large enough for 40 people).

One more thing. Did you get the Anniversary Sale package with your cruise? Most sailings in the Caribbean in Dec. qualify for this. Great OBC (on board credits) plus other perks involved. Check out HAL's website for details (it runs until June 30). It should be very easy to find on the first webpage.

Hope this helps.

DaveOKC

The is NOTHING better on this planet than A HAL cruise in DECEMBER for a CANADIAN -where its LOVELY and WARM!!!!!!! The CREW is the best on the ocean [ Indonesian] KIND, gentle and they make great friends, The dining room on ANY ship is a delight. The ADVENTUREs you will have will be amazing. Just smile and say "Merry Christmas, Honey, I love you> TRUST me! ;)

Hi!

1. An aft wrap cabin is the best you can have (my personal opinion). The view is a full 270 degrees as it goes around the side of the ship. Great for photographs. Special Needs at Sea will rent scooters that will allow your DH to minimize any walking while on board as well as ashore. Your Room Service food will be a perfect temperature since it is a two-minute elevator ride from the kitchen. You are also a two-minute elevator ride up to the Lido Restaurant or down to the Main Dining Room with limited walking. You will also be able to spend time on your verandah out of the wind while the ship is moving. A 70-inch round table cloth will fit your verandah table for those meals on your verandah.

2. Book shore excursions now if they are ones you truly cannot do without. The popular excursions go fast.

3. The Signature Beverage can be purchased anytime but to have items waiting in your stateroom on Embarkation Day requires an advanced purchase.

Here is my photographic tour from Alaska 2014 aboard the Westerdam to give you an idea of the facilities:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-westerdam-tour/

Edited by Crew News

Hi!

My DH was the same way Dana..He could never understand my desire to cruise after I had done one when I was single..Especially having to pay full fare for a cruise when we could travel for free...Our good Friends who worked with me in the Airline Field, also could not understand it...I had to do a lot of talking to get them all to cruise with me just once.. They all agreed to do it while we were still working..

And now that we are retired, DH has taken many more cruises with me & was nagging today about booking another cruise in the near future..We now try to take the longer cruises.. Our airline Friends who retired later have also cruised a lot with & without us.. But they only enjoy the 7-10 day cruises ..

So don't worry unless your DH gets seasick (that's another story) I can almost guarantee he will enjoy it..

Sorry can't give you advice about your cabin, but the Westerdam is a beautiful ship..

Edited by serendipity1499

Thanks very much for the input DaveOKC, ANSalberg, Crew News, serendipity 1499! Crew News - love your site! Appreciate your comments and suggestions everyone. Most helpful. Still debating regarding cabin selection.

We were on the opposite side (4185) last Spring on the Westerdam and loved it. That Aft-wrap is nice especially if you spend most of your time on the verandah like we do. It's huge! The Neptune suite is the way to go no matter where it is. We liked 4185 some much we have it booked on the Oosterdam this September for an Alaska cruise.

We always book everything ahead of time just so we have it behind us. Enjoy your Cruise. :)

Great info and insight. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. Think we will stick with our 1st selection. DH seems to like the idea of open deck to see the stars at night (hopefully, as we sail during leonid meteor shower).

Oh and I forgot to add in reply to a question posed earlier by DaveOKC... yes got the anniversary package!

Love the help on these forums! You guys are a great wealth of info and knowledge. It is appreciated.

Edited by Dana57