5 in a balcony room?

*jess*

hahahahaha this is awesome. Now he doesn't have a choice but to quit..... THANK YOU CARNIVAL!!!

And thank y'all too, I had no idea... We haven't sailed in 2 years now, I hadn't heard that yet!!!

LOL! You missed all the hoopla over the no smoking on balcony issue. It got really heated at times, tempers flared, it got really nasty. There was a post here last week on the very subject and it got deleted. The OP started a new one and it got deleted as well. So, you missed out. You need to start checking out CC more often, you can learn a lot.:D

He's been saying he was going to try and quit soon anyway, this will just be an extra push in the right direction!

I wish him lots of luck and you too. I quit over 40 years ago and back then I don't think the cigarettes were that addictive. But it was still a difficult thing to do. Quit cold turkey, I think is the best way. My sis wishes she would have stopped smoking, now it's too late, her lungs can't be repaired and she's on oxygen.

He's been saying he was going to try and quit soon anyway, this will just be an extra push in the right direction!

Just make sure it's not over the balcony railing.....(sorry, just trying to be funny). Although most cruise lines now prohibit smoking on balconies, on our last cruise, we smelled cigarette smoke everytime we were on our balcony. The smell doesn't bother me but.....then I realized our balcony was just below the smoking area one deck above, near the pool. So if you see him sneaking out for a smoke, that's where to find him. LOL :D

Edited by Diver2014

His dad is in poor health and has cancer from smoking, that has been a definite push for him to quit. But he's been smoking for the last 30 years so I know it's going to be hard for him to give it up completely. He's using patches and cutting back right now.

Just make sure it's not over the balcony railing.....(sorry, just trying to be funny). Although most cruise lines now prohibit smoking on balconies, on our last cruise, we smelled cigarette smoke everytime we were on our balcony. The smell doesn't bother me but.....then I realized our balcony was just below the smoking area one deck above, near the pool. So if you see him sneaking out for a smoke, that's where to find him. LOL :D

lol!! I guess it's really not any different from a hotel though, if we go out of town and stay at a hotel he has to walk outside to smoke so this is no different. I'm still crossing my fingers that he will have quit by the time we cruise so it won't be an issue at all though.

Has anyone successfully put 5 people in a single balcony room? It saves us a few hundred dollars, but I'm a little concerned about the space. We did 4 people in a balcony room 2 years ago and it was fine, but I just don't know about 5.... It would be me, my husband, 19 year old daughter (who packs next to nothing), 16 year old son, and 10 year old son.

A couple of years ago my daughter booked a balcony for four people, her, her husband, and two children. The pvp then told her to book an additional interior for two of the people this way two folks in each room.

It was actually hundreds of dollars cheaper doing this. I know because I was paying for it:)

It was actually hundreds of dollars cheaper doing this. I know because I was paying for it:)

We've discovered the closer in and in peak travel periods it is cheaper to book two doubles than a quad. Sometimes dynamic pricing works in our favor.

Our first cruise on the Triumph was in a 5 person cabin. It had the main bed, a full size pull out couch, and a single berth in the ceiling. There was no rolling bed. Those cabins were replaced in the last refurb. Our kids were all under 10 so it was tight but very acceptable. Now they are full grown, I wouldn't do it again.

We are a family of 5 and couldn't find any of the ships that would accommodate all 5 of us. I guess I'm the odd man out here, but I honestly think it would be easier than having 2 cabins (unless they were connecting). We had a balcony and an inside on our last cruise and it was SUCH a pain to constantly open those doors back and forth and back and forth. Always having to remember to take your room key with you for just a quick trip across the hall. We even had door stoppers, but it was as pain to constantly have to use them. Also, my kids were 7, 8, and 10 years old. I had no idea the doors would be so heavy for them to use! They struggled to pull them open from inside to go out. Yeah, just a pain. Now if we could have two CONNECTING rooms, that would've been perfect! But DH wants a balcony and we're just talking so much more $ to have to balcony cabins. :(

Another thought....

sharing a bathroom with 5 people on a vacation isn't a big deal for us. What do other families of 5 do when they stay at a hotel? When we stay in a hotel we only have one room and one bathroom, so I guess we're used to it. Ideal? No. But not a big deal, IMO.

• 4 months later...

Thank you so very much for asking this - we are contemplating putting 3 adults and 1 teenager in a single room - and this has definitely gone a long way to helping me decide against it. This will be my teen daughgters first cruise with mom in law along with us. Thanks again! was thinking of doing the ocean view for 4 but decided against it. :D

Has anyone successfully put 5 people in a single balcony room? It saves us a few hundred dollars, but I'm a little concerned about the space. We did 4 people in a balcony room 2 years ago and it was fine, but I just don't know about 5.... It would be me, my husband, 19 year old daughter (who packs next to nothing), 16 year old son, and 10 year old son.
l

You might want to check different combo's of rooms. On our Magic cruise in 2014 one interior and one balcony, both for two, was a couple hundred cheaper than a balcony for four.

I would say that's too many people in one room. Have you considered a balcony cabin with an adjoining inside cabin?

I would price it out, 5 people in one balcony vs. one balcony and one interior across the hall or down the hall etc. That way everyone in the family can still enjoy the balcony together but there would be better sleeping arrangements and an extra bathroom.

I would be interested in seeing how much it would cost for an interior room vs. adding 3 people to one room. You may not be saving as much as you think!

My daughter and I took her two teens on the Dream. We booked a balcony and an inside directly across from the balcony, netting us two bathrooms and it worked like a charm. No way would we all have stayed in the same room. Just two crowded.