Juneau/Icy Straight/Skagway/Ketchikan Tours at the Pier?

ronandannette

Doing a Southbound in August and we are wondering about the likelihood of being able to pick up excursions on-the-fly at each port when we walk off the ship. We don't really have anything specific in mind - just a general question about whether or not there will be tour vendors like there are in the Caribbean ports and if they are generally less expensive than pre-booking similar tours through the ship. TIA

We did a Northbound cruise 3 weeks ago and there were plenty of vendors at the dock in Ketchikan and Juneau, less in Skagway but there were still some. You could pick up everything from a bus tour to a floatplane and in between. If you have your heart set on specific tours or vendors, book ahead, otherwise you should be able to pick up excursions in all ports.

The prices are marginally less than booking on the ship, some were the same.

Yes there are vendors at the dock selling some tours.

In my opinion, this best suits people who don't care what they do, and have no priorities and are open to a wide range of possibilities. Everyone is different. :)

I would still suggest people do some homework on what will be available, or at least have some idea of their interests. I find it a big advantage not to waste any port time, but for some it's not of any concern. Determine the direction you want to go- now. :)

Yes there are vendors at the dock selling some tours.

In my opinion, this best suits people who don't care what they do, and have no priorities and are open to a wide range of possibilities. Everyone is different. :)

I would still suggest people do some homework on what will be available, or at least have some idea of their interests. I find it a big advantage not to waste any port time, but for some it's not of any concern. Determine the direction you want to go- now. :)

You've perfectly described our situation on this trip - thanks. We'll look for tours at the pier or maybe just stay on board.