MILLIE - 6/12 to 6/19 Report - Alaska SB Itin

sldispatcher

Normally I like to do "live from" reports, but I have enjoyed the ship and people and just wanted to give a few updates.

#1. I'm not sure what ship some of the previous reviewers of the Millennium have been sailing on, but our experience has been 5 star. Best service and overall attitude of any recent Celebrity Experience.

#2. Cabins have a little more dated feel and some wear and tear, by my goodness, people pay big big bucks to stay in "historic" hotels and resorts all over the US. Even the New ship aficionados with us are very pleased with condition, cleanliness, etc. If you are looking for wear and tear, you will notice it. If you are looking to enjoy your vacation, you'll never see it.

#3. Qsine food was okay, but not spectacular. Great location and fun experience with a group though.

#4. Luminae is doing an outstanding job. The menus that are presented are limited with a rather aggressive culinary taste, but willingness to be a little adventurous is quickly rewarded.

#5. Olympic has been steadily busy the entire time.

#6. Our main dining room with select has been rock solid with over the top willingness to please. We found a waiter/asst. waiter combo we loved and have been able to secure them each night we have dined there. Above and beyond for sure.

#7. Cruise director is perfectly suited for this line and the passengers.

#8. The ship has handled the cruise very well. We are located aft and although there have been a few rumbles and vibrations, WE ARE AT SEA! What else would one expect?

#9. I do have a bone of contention with so much emphasis placed on the beautiful scenery of Alaska, sailaway/scenery is often scheduled during dinner times/early morning times. Everything is port focused to draw as much $$ from you as they can. Don't sell me the magic of the INside Passage and then do the sailing at night.

#10. Hubbard Glacier is a rock star on this itinerary. I just with they would spend more time there. The naturalist/announcer onboard would NOT SHUT UP during the approach. You could not hear the glacier for all of his jibber jabber. He finally shut his trap when we came alongside the glacier. In the future, I hope someone wises up and plans a full day stop at the glacier if the locals allow it.

#11. The embarkation "energetic" music is so jarring that it almost made me wish I had not booked the cruise. Save that for the Caribbean. But alas, I have encountered some of the "hip" planning staff of Celebrity. As they continue their march towards "Carnivalization" to make it more "fun" onboard, I'm sure we will see even more of these "fun" and "energy" inducing changes. Does anyone ever stop to think who is really paying the bills? It's not the 30 year olds.

#12. A personal note about overall food. I have been satisfied. Having sailed also with some of the competition, I think Celebrity was forced into the Luminae situation by both success at BLU and pressure from the competition from above. It's a positive change for sure and well received and should keep customers on the big ship premium lines in the upper cabin categories.

#13. The limited smoking areas is a big plus. HAL, are you ever going to get the message?

#14. Pool areas are rarely crowded so far. Including the Solarium.

#15. We have several first time cruisers with us and they have fallen in love with the whole thing. I enjoy showing people a new way of looking at the world and cruising (with the right cruise company) is a great way to do that.

Easily, this grand dame of the Celebrity Fleet is still 5 star.

Really enjoyed reading your summary. Our first M class was on the Millie just befor she was 'solsticed'. We totally agree with your description of her as a Grand Dame!

We love both classes but feel we have stepped back to a quieter, more elegant time when we travel on an M class. We love S class too but in a very different way.

One S and one M class booked, it is nice to have two different experiences with one cruise line. Let's hope the 'Edge' project gives us all even more pleasure.

Thanks again for your review.

Thanks for the review. Glad that it all went well.:D

Shame you couldn't have more time at Hubbard, if it is anything like Glacier Bay then the ships have tight schedules which are enforced with large fines.

Edited by MicCanberra

Thanks for posting your thoughts! I'll be on the NB Millennium at the end of July. The port times on the NB seem to be relatively different so hopefully we'll be able to see the scenery. I'm sorry you missed some of it!

Also keep in mind that there ARE some 30-something's paying for their cruises too, albeit maybe in the minority (my group included) who might like a bit of upbeat music. I'm by no means into the "club" scene, but I do enjoy some fast, upbeat music to get my vacation started!

Did you happen to notice if any discounts were offered in Qsine at all either on the first day, or throughout the week? I enjoyed it on a previous cruise and am looking forward to returning, but the prices seem to have skyrocketed.

Any tips for those of us sailing in the near future?

Thanks again! :)

There were some 50% off discounts on specialty dining the first day. Check those out for sure.

Check out Luminae menus and ask for a seat in there if you want the extra charge/relaxed atmosphere/food choices.

It turned out that we had adequate scenery times for the most part. I really shouldn't complain about it so much as they were adequate for what anyone was interested in.

The back (and I mean the very back) of Oceanview Café is best secret for breakfast. Though it is not much of a secret on this board.

When leaving the theater, duck immediately out on deck and walk back to next set of elevators or even the aft elevators. If weather is nice, the feeling is great and you skip all of the crowds. Although this ship never feels crowded.

Bistro on 5 was, as always, a great spot for embarkation lunch. Everyone in our group ate there multiple times.

Desserts seemed to shine the brightest in main dining room compared to other courses.

We were on the same sailing. Loved our first Celebrity experience. Besides the first night, loved select and the food in mdr. Did 1 dinner and 1 lunch in mdr..

Having sailed many times before we were shocked at size and decor of our cabin. Loved our extended balcony as well.

Didn't enjoy 4 port stops in a row.

Didn't mind the naturalist!