Westminster Matins Service

We are visiting London for one day as a fast intro to the city, knowing we will return for a more in depth visit in the future. I realize this is not adequate time for London. This trip is more about seeing the country of England, rather than London. Has anyone attended a service in Westminster? Rather than stand in line to see the Abbey during our one day visit to London, we are planning to attend Matins at 7:30am as a unique start to our day. I am not that familiar with the Church of England so I really don't know what the Matins service is. I googled it and saw it is a prayer service, and many times the prayers are sung. If anyone knows anything about the service, I would appreciate a heads up.

I also wonder if this will be an adequate introduction to Westminster. I understand we won't be able to truly sightsee as we walk through the Abbey to attend the service in St Faiths Chapel, but I know this will not be our last visit to London and thought it would give us a taste of the Abbey without devoting too much time to it. This way we can decide if we want to devote more time to it on our next visit. Any thoughts?

I've not been to the Matins service at Westminster Abbey--I have attended Evensong in the evening, and can confirm that you will be able to see very little of Westminster when attending the worship service. Having toured Westminster, it is definitely worth your while to come back and tour the entire Abbey plus the Cloisters and Chapter House--so much English history inside this special place. Don't miss it when you return for a longer visit to London. I've never taken a guided tour (Verger), but understand that it is excellent and well worth the time. I will be in London this summer and hope to finally take a guided tour of the Abbey. Enjoy!

Matins is essentially the Morning Prayer service, one of the two Daily Offices in the Anglican tradition. The only choral Matins at Westminster Abbey is the one on Sunday (which is later), whereas the daily Evensongs are choral and usually feature the Abbey choir (they will have visiting choirs at times).

Whether or not the psalm and canticles will be chanted at the weekday Matins, I don't know, but the choir will not be singing. You could contact the Abbey to ask, I suppose.

By the way, and not to be picky, abbreviating to just Westminster, (e.g. "service in Westminster") can be confusing - not only are there many churches in Westminster, there is also Westminster Cathedral (RC) just up the road from the Abbey :)

The Houses of Parliament are often referred to as 'Westminster', because they are actually the Palace of Westminster. However the Abbey is never abbreviated to that! Westminster is a London borough, 'the City of Westminster'. So it is an area of London. It is also the name of the tube station by Big Ben.

Personally, I would say that Westminster as an area only covers part of the City of Westminster, that being the area around the Palace and Abbey (St Margaret's parish, in effect). That converges the political and geographic uses, of course. For the whole borough, I'd use City of Westminster.

And in the name of accuracy, the Elizabeth Tower, not Big Ben :) But we've come a long way from Matins!

And in the name of accuracy, the Elizabeth Tower, not Big Ben :) But we've come a long way from Matins!

Well, if the guy in the Guy Fawkes mask in "V for Vendetta" actually succeeded, there could have been a big clock bell in the Tube...

Even further away from Matins!

Personally, I would say that Westminster as an area only covers part of the City of Westminster, that being the area around the Palace and Abbey (St Margaret's parish, in effect). That converges the political and geographic uses, of course. For the whole borough, I'd use City of Westminster.

Well if we are being pedantic, Big Ben is inside the Elizabeth Tower, so the tube station remains, as I said, near to Big Ben. I also referred to the City of Westminster. So we are agreed!

Back to the regularly scheduled question - sorry everyone.;)

I have been to a early morning service in Westminster Abbey. It has been a good bit of time ago so I don't remember which chapel it was held in. You will be able to see some of the grandness of this wonderful place of worship and history. While they will let you move slowly, they will not let you loiter for long. If your plans for the day are flexible and you might want to attend Evensong as it is usually held in the nave, giving you a bit more of a chance to take in some of the main worship space of the Abbey. (It is a bit longer service with many more in attendance so you can loiter for just a bit.