First Timer on Oceania, Couple of Questions

Relax Cruiser

Ok...allyou world travelers.... I am stumped. I am ending a cruise in Dover UK and plan to take the ferry to Calais there rent a Car and swing down to Bayeux then over to Bois and fly out of Paris. (One of the reasons is to miss the almost $700.00 UK departure tax for 2 )

Here is the problem...I cannot seem to find any rental car agency open on a Sunday in France except at major airports. Stupid me I assumed that a major ferry crossing point like 40 ships a day, would some Place I could rent a car..

Anyone have a solutiuon to this quandary???? Or been faced with it

Maybe you should rent the car in Dover (Europcar DOWNTOWN Dover office should be open on Sunday)

You can take the car on the ferry to Calais for less than 100 euros.

But I imagine the one way drop off fee would be substantial as you'd be leaving the car in a different country.

I am totally unsurprised. We have had this problem several times and even had to change our itinerary once to get a car in the Dordogne. The French do things their way and sometimes it's great and others it's an inconvenience. BTW it's not just cars, many well known attractions and restaurants are also closed Dimanche.

Ok...allyou world travelers.... I am stumped. I am ending a cruise in Dover UK and plan to take the ferry to Calais there rent a Car and swing down to Bayeux then over to Bois and fly out of Paris. (One of the reasons is to miss the almost $700.00 UK departure tax for 2 )

Here is the problem...I cannot seem to find any rental car agency open on a Sunday in France except at major airports. Stupid me I assumed that a major ferry crossing point like 40 ships a day, would some Place I could rent a car..

Don't forget the REAL possibility of a strike in France - like the one that is happening as we speak today in Calais.

Better pay the departure tax (or go to Belgium) :D

You might want to rethink Calais. French ferry/eurotunnel staff on strike AGAIN. Burning tyres and rubble blocking entrances, everything back to London cancelled, and they promise to continue all Summer. Huge queues both sides UK and Calais. Perhaps Dover to Zebrugge in Belgium would be a better option?

Hawaii Dan,

How about taking a transfer to Gatwick or one of the other London airports and take a cheap flight to Paris and pick up your car there. Avoids the Chunnel completely and lets you return the car where you picked it up so no drop fee. Got to be lots of low cost airlines flying London to Paris.

Only have to worry about an Air Traffic Controller strike in France.

Edited by rallydave

The highlight of the day is Needlepoint. You might want to try the Trivia games but be prepared to be hated if you get anything right. People will kill to be right.

Bring lots of reading material.

If you like a snooze fest, go for it.

However, the food is good, but in the dining room it may never come.

The highlight of the day is Needlepoint. You might want to try the Trivia games but be prepared to be hated if you get anything right. People will kill to be right.

If you like a snooze fest, go for it

What are you talking about. Have you ever not been served in the MDR on an Oceania ship??? I would doubt it! :rolleyes:

If you like a snooze fest, go for it.

What are you talking about. Have you ever not been served in the MDR on an Oceania ship??? I would doubt it! :rolleyes:

I bet the poster was trying to be funny, but the best jokes are based on accuracy.