Multi City Delta booking ?'s

jetexpress

Looking at flights for 2/26/16 from CLE to SJU. DL itinerary shows $312 connect thru ATL. However, if I book as 'Multi City' CLE to ATL and then ATL to SJU the total price is $223. Same flights.

My question is, would we have any issues in CLE to check in directly to SJU since it is a multi city booking? Would we have to pay bag fees twice or would we able to check them directly to SJU? I do not want to have to claim luggage and then check back in for the 2nd leg.

Hopefully I made sense and thanks for the help.

I don't know the answer to your multi-city question, but Southwest Airlines is less expensive than Delta.

We flew Delta to SJU in Feb 2013 and even though we booked months in advance, it will really expensive, $800. Plus baggage fees.

Southwest flights come out in about 10 days - June 30 - supposedly.

First & 2nd bags fly free.

They fly from Cleveland and Akron.

We are going the first week in Feb so I'm waiting for June 30 to roll around.

Good luck in your search. :)

Looking at flights for 2/26/16 from CLE to SJU. DL itinerary shows $312 connect thru ATL. However, if I book as 'Multi City' CLE to ATL and then ATL to SJU the total price is $223. Same flights.
Are you sure those are the same dates/times? Sounds like you may have a pricing glitch, or more likely, you would get a "not available" message when you try to complete the booking.
My question is, would we have any issues in CLE to check in directly to SJU since it is a multi city booking? Would we have to pay bag fees twice or would we able to check them directly to SJU? I do not want to have to claim luggage and then check back in for the 2nd leg.
Since this would be on a single ticket, you would only have one set of bag fees on the outbound, and your bags would be through checked to SJU.

I don't know the answer to your multi-city question, but Southwest Airlines is less expensive than Delta.
Pass the Canyon Blue Kool-Aid.

Southwest may or may not be less expensive than Delta. Or American. Or United. It completely depends on the specifics for date, cities and flights. There is NO such thing as one airline being ALWAYS cheaper. Urban legend at best, WN cheerleading at worst.

Hopefully you tracked what flights would have been on other carriers had you already purchased them. Then you can see whether "Waiting for Southwest" may have been beneficial for you. Or, if you just blindly waited, you won't have a true comparison.

Are you sure those are the same dates/times? Sounds like you may have a pricing glitch, or more likely, you would get a "not available" message when you try to complete the booking.

Since this would be on a single ticket, you would only have one set of bag fees on the outbound, and your bags would be through checked to SJU.

FlyerTalker,

Thanks for the help reference bag fees.

Attached is a screenshot of the pricing on matrix. I was able to replicate the fare by searching on the flight search software owned by the same company. I know my resources are nowhere near what you have at your disposal but everything seems to go thru on Delta's site up until CC payment screen.

image.jpg.1aeb1d9b6d977e86d357849d0ccbdb00.jpg

Pass the Canyon Blue Kool-Aid.

Southwest may or may not be less expensive than Delta. Or American. Or United. It completely depends on the specifics for date, cities and flights. There is NO such thing as one airline being ALWAYS cheaper. Urban legend at best, WN cheerleading at worst.

Hopefully you tracked what flights would have been on other carriers had you already purchased them. Then you can see whether "Waiting for Southwest" may have been beneficial for you. Or, if you just blindly waited, you won't have a true comparison.

I agree! Currently, Southwest only has two options when searching CLE-SJU on Fridays. One departs at 5:45am. The other does not arrive until 12:45am. Neither are very convenient.

Even if Delta is slightly higher, the convenience will probably win out.

We flew Delta to SJU in Feb 2013 and even though we booked months in advance, it will really expensive, $800. Plus baggage fees.

Good luck in your search. :)

I used to live in Houston where Southwest was rarely less expensive. I could fly United direct for sometimes hundreds of dollars cheaper than Southwest and not have to make any stops and have an assigned seat.