Carnival excursions in Belize... best for snorkeling

MaiTaiMary

DH and I have zero interest in "cave tubing". Just doesn't look like something we would enjoy. Anyway... I'm looking at the snorkeling options and they just seem to be getting such mixed reviews. Maybe somebody could just tell me the differences between these??

BARRIER REEF SNORKEL & STARFISH ISLAND GETAWAY

SNORKELING WONDERS OF THE BARRIER REEF (Rendezvous Caye)

SERGEANT'S CAY SNORKEL ADVENTURE

STARFISH PRIVATE ISLAND GETAWAY WITH LUNCH

GALLOWS POINT REEF SNORKEL & CRUISE

The reviews for these are just all.over.the.place. :confused:

We are interested in the best snorkeling. Super crowded conditions (either on the beach or a snorkeling group) just does NOT sound fun. Sounds like these private islands are small and a lot of these groups really cram people into groups like sardines.

We don't really need activities on the island. Just want to snorkel and lay out on the beach. Or take the boat to a snorkeling location and then back to a private island.

Maybe if somebody has pictures of CARNIVAL excursions they took here, that would be helpful?

Also, we are in Belize from 8:00a-5:00p. I'm hoping there will be time once we get back to the ship to take the tender to city and walk around a bit. (?)

Thanks!! :D

Edited by MaiTaiMary

Based on your criteria you won't want to do wonders of the barrier reef then. I did that in May and was really disappointed.

They cram in you in large groups. Give you very poor equipment. 3 people in our intermediate group gave up almost immediately because their googles wouldn't hold water. I spent the entire time holding my snorkel because the strap was too loose. You can of course bring your own equipment to rectify that but it doesn't solve the herd if people. Our excursion had over 130 people.

There is a small beach area with no chairs you all get crammed together for an hour after on so they can sell drinks.

After that we spent another 40 minutes tendering to the ship, changed tried to catch another tender to Belize city and had only 30 minutes in the city before we had to get back to the ship.

Based on your criteria you won't want to do wonders of the barrier reef then. I did that in May and was really disappointed.

They cram in you in large groups. Give you very poor equipment. 3 people in our intermediate group gave up almost immediately because their googles wouldn't hold water. I spent the entire time holding my snorkel because the strap was too loose. You can of course bring your own equipment to rectify that but it doesn't solve the herd if people. Our excursion had over 130 people.

There is a small beach area with no chairs you all get crammed together for an hour after on so they can sell drinks.

After that we spent another 40 minutes tendering to the ship, changed tried to catch another tender to Belize city and had only 30 minutes in the city before we had to get back to the ship.

:eek:

OMG, that does NOT sound good. This is "SNORKELING WONDERS OF THE BARRIER REEF (Rendezvous Caye)"?

GALLOWS POINT REEF SNORKEL & CRUISE

http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/belize/gallows-point-reef-snorkel-and-cruise-509089#

Has anybody done this one? There are two reviews and they couldn't be any more different! LOL One person loved it, the other hated it.

I'm liking the idea of just taking a catamaran to a snorkeling location and not going to a private island more and more. None of the islands are really appealing to me.

I have done all of them.... Snorkeling wonders of barrier reef was best hands down... island was great and we all did the advanced group... which was great... I am an avid snorkeler... the advanced was so easy... my wife did it and she is more of a beginner.... starfish is the old bannister island... not the best island as the swimming is not good at all... any questions just ask.

I loved Rendezvous cay. The guides were very knowledgable and shared info on their country. Very interesting. There were 3 groups: advanced, intermediate, and new to snorkeling. We've snorkeled many times so we're advanced. The equipment we used was fine, no issues. After there was time to hang out at the beach area and they sold food and drinks. It was awesome being out in the ocean on that time bit of land.

http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/belize/gallows-point-reef-snorkel-and-cruise-509089#

Has anybody done this one? There are two reviews and they couldn't be any more different! LOL One person loved it, the other hated it.

I'm liking the idea of just taking a catamaran to a snorkeling location and not going to a private island more and more. None of the islands are really appealing to me.

Not that exact one BUT some years ago there was one offered thru the ship that was basically the same -- just the catamaran to a snorkel in the Barrier Reef with an open bar afterwards. It was awesome! :)

LuLu

Starfish Island is NOT a snorkeling destination. Great for beach and sun, and a nice lunch. Also kayaking for a fee. Playground for kids and easy tender back and forth. The swimming area ranges from mucky to rocky to sandy and is roped off. Yes, you will see some fish under the docks, but there's no coral reef here.

The only one worth "good snorkeling" notation, in my opinion, is SNORKELING WONDERS OF THE BARRIER REEF (Rendezvous Caye). Are you open to going independent? I like the snorkel trips out of Caye Caulker.

I'm a long time snorkeler, who is very picky on where I go. This particular tour- splits the group into 3, advanced, medium and beginner. I don't want the marathon snorkel of the "advanced", as I like to go at a slower pace. I have gone into the other 2 "groups", picking the smallest number group. They both went to the same places, and even though- I'm a seasoned snorkeler- the beginner group- which I've taken twice moved along nicely. It allow people to easily drop out, so the group keep moving. I've also done the medium group twice- and found the snorkeling very similar.

I thought this tour, did a nice job and was a very good cost for what you get.

The only one worth "good snorkeling" notation, in my opinion, is SNORKELING WONDERS OF THE BARRIER REEF (Rendezvous Caye). Are you open to going independent? I like the snorkel trips out of Caye Caulker.

I'm a long time snorkeler, who is very picky on where I go. This particular tour- splits the group into 3, advanced, medium and beginner. I don't want the marathon snorkel of the "advanced", as I like to go at a slower pace. I have gone into the other 2 "groups", picking the smallest number group. They both went to the same places, and even though- I'm a seasoned snorkeler- the beginner group- which I've taken twice moved along nicely. It allow people to easily drop out, so the group keep moving. I've also done the medium group twice- and found the snorkeling very similar.

I thought this tour, did a nice job and was a very good cost for what you get.

I'll second Budget Queen's recommendation about Caye Caulker, in fact, I believe I met her on that excursion which was operated by Coral Breeze several years back.

Starfish Beach is just a re-wording of Bannister Island, which got so many bad reviews that Carnival felt the need to change its name. When I did the barrier reef snorkel, a double decker ferry, almost like an oversized tender took us to the site and it was over crowded.

I think Caye Caulker was limited to maybe 10 or 12 in a boat.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thank you. :)

We have this same cruise/itinerary booked for the second time now. We opted for the swimming with rays and sharks last year. Now we are looking for a family friendly snorkeling excursion in Belize. Something different.

Any new reviews of these excursions? :) Leaning towards "Snorkeling Wonders of the Great Barrier Reef" this time. I think the kids (ages 9, 10, 12) would be more comfortable snorkeling from the beach, rather than directly from the boat.

Thank you. :)

We have this same cruise/itinerary booked for the second time now. We opted for the swimming with rays and sharks last year. Now we are looking for a family friendly snorkeling excursion in Belize. Something different.

Any new reviews of these excursions? :) Leaning towards "Snorkeling Wonders of the Great Barrier Reef" this time. I think the kids (ages 9, 10, 12) would be more comfortable snorkeling from the beach, rather than directly from the boat.

For kids, try Geoff's Island, I think that was the name. A tiny spit of land, maybe 75 or 100' long, has a pier that the transer boat ties up to. You walk onto the isle and enter from the shore. Water depth is minimal, you can snorkel in 6 to 10" of water, so it's great for beginners or kids.

• 4 weeks later...

We are going on the Wonders of the Barrier Reef excursion this June. Does anyone know if the excursion picks you up from the boat, or, if you meet them on shore? We are scheduled to dock at 10:00 and if they pick you up on shore, we might get off the ship early and look around, but, if they pick you up from the boat, it wouldn't really seem worth the trouble.

My son and I did the swim with Sharks and Rays which also involved snorkeling and we LOVED it! The lead guide Lucio was wonderful! He explained everything that we saw and pulled my son along the entire time to make sure he saw everything. We held nurse sharks, rays, starfish and saw all kinds of coral, and other fish. He answered all questions we had and went at our pace. It wasn't a big group and we had 3 guides. I hope to get back to Belize to do this again.

I should mention my son was 6 at the time and he loves telling everyone about this.

Edited by Working 2 cruise again
To add son's age

We are going on the Wonders of the Barrier Reef excursion this June. Does anyone know if the excursion picks you up from the boat, or, if you meet them on shore? We are scheduled to dock at 10:00 and if they pick you up on shore, we might get off the ship early and look around, but, if they pick you up from the boat, it wouldn't really seem worth the trouble.

From what I have read after researching the same question, Carnival no longer picks you up from the ship. You have to tender to the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My son and I did the swim with Sharks and Rays which also involved snorkeling and we LOVED it! The lead guide Lucio was wonderful! He explained everything that we saw and pulled my son along the entire time to make sure he saw everything. We held nurse sharks, rays, starfish and saw all kinds of coral, and other fish. He answered all questions we had and went at our pace. It wasn't a big group and we had 3 guides. I hope to get back to Belize to do this again.

I should mention my son was 6 at the time and he loves telling everyone about this.

Did you do this excursion privately?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app