Please help with Handicap info at embarkation

Hi all,

For an Allure cruise out of FLL, I am looking to learn how assistance works for those with handicaps?

My FIL is low vision and needs help getting around. Normally we are with him, but this next cruise we are in a suite and he is not. Can he join us at boarding since we are assisting him? If not, is RCCL like the airlines with employee assistance and pre-boarding?

Thanks!

As much as he may not like the idea, might I suggest you ask him to highly consider wheelchair assistance to board and depart the ship. This will almost totally alleviate any possiblity of unwanted collision and falls as well as afford the party a more secure experience.

As others have stated, contact the Special Needs Department regerding this, and any other accesibilty questions you might have.

Have a sfae and fun cruise.

He can board with you (he is considered part of party). You can get wheelchair assistance as well so he does not trip on the walk up to the ship.

When I travel with my family they all come with me as I am handicapped. Even if I'm in a suite and they are inside. They will not break up families.

Edited by CaptData

As much as he may not like the idea, might I suggest you ask him to highly consider wheelchair assistance to board and depart the ship. This will almost totally alleviate any possiblity of unwanted collision and falls as well as afford the party a more secure experience.

As others have stated, contact the Special Needs Department regerding this, and any other accesibilty questions you might have.

I totally agree with Ken's suggestion. My mother could walk on the ship, but for safety reasons I always insisted she be in a wheelchair. This protected her from inattentive folks trolling luggage and shielded her from the utter chaos that sometimes occurs. Your FIL can sit back and enjoy the boarding rather than be stressed out about navigating an unfamiliar space on foot.

MEOW put your claws away~~

Haha, seriously. You can't win sometimes. I could have been yelled at for trying to "cheat the system" by bringing a plebian into the suite line with me.

Hi all,

For an Allure cruise out of FLL, I am looking to learn how assistance works for those with handicaps?

My FIL is low vision and needs help getting around. Normally we are with him, but this next cruise we are in a suite and he is not. Can he join us at boarding since we are assisting him? If not, is RCCL like the airlines with employee assistance and pre-boarding?

Thanks!

Are you aware that RCCL will provide large print menus and cruise compasses as well as an orientation tour of the ship to assist passengers with low vision ? You'll have to contact the Special Needs Dept. and complete a form along with following up with on-board guest services upon boarding. Here's the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/visualImpairment.do

No fault with this statement, but from pure observation of two trips on this ship from this terminal, special assisted passengers are among the last group to board, of people who get there early to board. If that isn't' a problem, or he wants to wait till 1pm it might be less waiting.

Are you aware that RCCL will provide large print menus and cruise compasses as well as an orientation tour of the ship to assist passengers with low vision ? You'll have to contact the Special Needs Dept. and complete a form along with following up with on-board guest services upon boarding. Here's the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/visualImpairment.do

Traveled last year with a friend who is visually impaired. We boarded together, so I was able to assist as needed. A wheelchair wasn't necessary for her, and would have made her very uncomfortable. The only real problem she had was completing the norovirus form at check in. But the check in staff was very helpful with that.

Do contact special needs for large print menus. We didn't get a cruise compass in large print, but menus for the week were waiting in our stateroom when we arrived, and they were much appreciated. They also offered a tour of the ship, though she did not find that terribly helpful.

I always show up at around 11 am. I am on the ship by 11:30 at the latest, wheelchair pusher and all.. Handicapped are helped in order of arrival. For Allure the Suite pax have they own entrance and your FIL can join you there if you arrive at the port together.

Edited by CaptData