FTTF and airport transfers

satchimosmom

I paid for RT airport transfers in Ft. Lauderdale for our upcoming 7/20/2015 cruise. Tonight, I tried to purchase FTTF online. The site blocked me...said I had a conflict. So, I called Carnival. I was told that I cannot purchase FTTF since we are getting airport transfers. Why? I fail to understand.

The primary reason we wanted FTTF is because I cannot stand still in a line for more than 10 minutes or so. The rep told me that I can request wheelchair assistance at the terminal. I feel bad requesting a wheelchair because someone else may need it worse than myself.

Why can't I just purchase the FTTF? What a disappointment!

I have no idea why there would be a conflict. The two are unrelated. I would call back and see if you can talk to someone that knows a little more about FTTF and the Carnival transfers.

I paid for RT airport transfers in Ft. Lauderdale for our upcoming 7/20/2015 cruise. Tonight, I tried to purchase FTTF online. The site blocked me...said I had a conflict. So, I called Carnival. I was told that I cannot purchase FTTF since we are getting airport transfers. Why? I fail to understand.

The primary reason we wanted FTTF is because I cannot stand still in a line for more than 10 minutes or so. The rep told me that I can request wheelchair assistance at the terminal. I feel bad requesting a wheelchair because someone else may need it worse than myself.

Nov of 2014 on the liberty I was able to use. FTTF and the airport transfer

I got the same dumb response. When I explained (by reading from the website) ALL the "perks" FTTF provides it all but fell on deaf ears. FTTF was there, it was available & I was told no.

If anyone cracks the code, please let us know!

Call your PVP. Believe it or not, there are some people at Carnival (not PVP's) that are chock full of misinformation.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay responding. I did end up canceling the transfers and was then successful in getting the FTTF. Now, I just need to rebook our transfers. I thought about using a local (and cheaper) company, but I think I've decided to just use Carnival's service. I'm a little anxious these days and feel better just letting them handle us.

Sorry for the delay responding. I did end up canceling the transfers and was then successful in getting the FTTF. Now, I just need to rebook our transfers. I thought about using a local (and cheaper) company, but I think I've decided to just use Carnival's service. I'm a little anxious these days and feel better just letting them handle us.

I purchased FTTF when I originally booked last year, and just purchased the bus transfers now...it all went thru just fine for me

You realize Carnival's transfers are both slower and more expensive than taking a taxi? Why would anyone want to pay more for worse service? :confused:

It's easier to follow the Carnival representative's directions than try to get a cab. Also, if you are a large group, everyone and their luggage can travel together, but this is not always possible in a cab. Finally, some people may have never taken a cab before, and want to stick with something more familiar during the stress traveling to make a cruise.

I'm actually in that last group - never gotten a cab...lol! We live on the outskirts of suburbia...nearly "rural". I used to be a confident, independent woman with little fear of traveling out of the country. But nine years ago I fell very ill and never fully recovered. I've apparently developed multiple autoimmune conditions. The whole point of sharing that is to say that I'm actually rarely out of my home these days. It's remarkable how one's confidence can just fade away year after year. So, we'll probably just take Carnival's bus and not stress out over it. Maybe next time (next year?) I'll be able to say, "No problem. I've got this!" :)

...The whole point of sharing that is to say that I'm actually rarely out of my home these days. It's remarkable how one's confidence can just fade away year after year. So, we'll probably just take Carnival's bus and not stress out over it. Maybe next time (next year?) I'll be able to say, "No problem. I've got this!" :)

I understand. However, in the future, I recommend flying in the day before in order to minimize stress. Encountering flight delays or cancellations on the day of the cruise would be extremely stressful.

Edited by D4

I understand. However, in the future, I recommend flying in the day before in order to minimize stress. Encountering flight delays or cancellations on the day of the cruise would be extremely stressful.

Threadstarter is cruising in July. The likelihood of any significant extended flight delays in the summer is minimal.

If she were cruising in January, then yes.

The system won't let you book airport to port transfers if you have FTTF booked. You've seen the error message. You can go ahead and book your Port to Airport transfer for the return.

Once you've bought FTTF, call Carnival and they will add your airport/port transfer. Easy pleasy

Have had to do this for last two trips with FTTF and using transfers.

I was delayed for an hour or so due to thunderstorms. The ramp crew won't be able to go outside if there's lightning. I read here once that someone was stuck for HOURS due to thunderstorms. Anything is possible, particularly if a delay turns into a flight crew change.

This.

While it is more likely to have a flight cancelled due to winter storms than thunderstorms, the latter probably cause more flight delays.

OP-

Why not try a company like SAS transportation or QLS? They are often recommended on these boards by many happy cruisers and are much cheaper than Carnival's transfer services. I do not understand for any reason why you would not be able to do the FTTF pass with the airport transfer. IT just doesn't make sense.

Threadstarter is cruising in July. The likelihood of any significant extended flight delays in the summer is minimal.

If she were cruising in January, then yes.

Weather isn't the only cause for flight delays. Mechanical and crew problems can occur any day.

We had 3 trips in the last 10 months and had flight delays on each trip. Only one was weather related and that was in June.

June 2015 - Major thunderstorms in Dallas caused flight problems throughout the US even if you weren't flying through Dallas. We had a 4 hour delay. (That type of thing isn't limited to Dallas.)

May 2015 - Our pilot aborted the takeoff. We had to go back to the terminal and have mechanics work on the plane. Everybody that had less than a 2 hour connection missed their next flight.

Sept 2014 - Our plane was waiting for our turn to takeoff. That was the day an air traffic control worker set fires in the building which handles flights through Chicago and a huge part of the midwest. Flights throughout the entire country were crippled that day. We arrived at our destination 13 hours later than we were supposed to.

Edited by D4

I do realize that we could have delays. We did get a flight that's in by 9:30 am, if all goes well. We were just trying to save a few bucks. But I think in the future we will fly in a day early! As for the transfers, I tried awhile ago to purchase them both ways. I got an error message for both coming and going!

At this point, I'm looking at other options. There's just the two of us. I saw Port Everglades Express. $7 pp each way. They only do airport to cruise port transfers. Is anyone familiar with them? Or I saw reference to SAS. Do I need reservations for SAS?

I do realize that we could have delays. We did get a flight that's in by 9:30 am, if all goes well. We were just trying to save a few bucks. But I think in the future we will fly in a day early! As for the transfers, I tried awhile ago to purchase them both ways. I got an error message for both coming and going!

At this point, I'm looking at other options. There's just the two of us. I saw Port Everglades Express. $7 pp each way. They only do airport to cruise port transfers. Is anyone familiar with them? Or I saw reference to SAS. Do I need reservations for SAS?

Go to the Ports board and look at Port Everglades, I'm sure there will be shuttle recommendations there.

Common sense tells me one should never depend on a shuttle without reservations unless you have a STRONG back-up plan.

Edited by lizardhowson

Hightownco - I called Carnival earlier to have them add the transfers manually. I was told that since we booked through Expedia that Carnival cannot assist with any transportation related issues. This includes airport transfers, as well as moving us to a different room!

?...At this point, I'm looking at other options. There's just the two of us. I saw Port Everglades Express. $7 pp each way. They only do airport to cruise port transfers. Is anyone familiar with them? Or I saw reference to SAS. Do I need reservations for SAS?

Are you flying into Ft. Lauderdale and cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale? If you are, then you don't need to pre-arrange transportation to/from the port. I would just take a taxi. The port is close to the airport.

Many people fly into Ft. Lauderdale and cruise out of Miami. That's when it's best to arrange transportation in advance because it's a longer transfer. We use QLS, but many people use SAS.

Have fun!