Close Beach to Port for Kids?

LuCruise

We'll be in Nassau for a short time (7am - 2pm...but practical time would be more like 9am - 12:30pm). So we're looking for something to do with our kids for just a couple hours. They will be 10.5 and 6.5 when we go and my younger one doesn't swim on her own (i.e. she's taking lessons but currently can't swim on her own).

We were thinking of just doing Junkanoo Beach and seeing the shops along the way, but I keep reading bad things about this beach (rocky, glass, dirty).

Is there a beach near by that is nicer but where the water isn't too rough (i.e. I've heard that Cabbage beach is pretty but rougher waters)? I know you can get day passes at resorts such as Melia or BCH but I don't want to spend a lot for a few hours plus, we live in Canada so a beach is more of a novelty than a swimming pool.

If we were in port for full the day, then we'd consider the Atlantis but too expensive for just a few hours and the water park doesn't even open until 10am. One excursion I would consider is Blue Lagoon BUT it's currently not offered on our cruise.

So any suggestions? Any good beaches not too far that's good for kids?

No, Junkanoo is the only close beach. The reason people go there is because it's close and free. :) If you want something nicer, you should consider Melia. It's really not that pricey, especially since you won't be needing lunch.

Go to Junkanoo Beach for the limited time you have. I went, its not as bad as some visitors have written.

This is what we were thinking mixing a bit of beach time in walking distance with browsing the local shops (and possibly pirate museum if our kids would like). The price is right, but the comments worry me...especially with young kids. Good to hear the beach is ok.

Melia looks nice but not sure it's worth spending around $175 for just a few hours (if I have the cost right for four of us plus taxi both ways) .

I think some of the bad rap Junkanoo gets is comparing it to other beaches you will visit on the ship. Going from say, Coki Beach to Junkanoo, there isn't going to be a comparison. As far as a nice, free beach close to the port, Junkanoo is not bad at all and great for doing a little shopping and cooling off. i think the kids will like how close it is to seeing the ships.

Here are some pictures of Junkanoo from 2012, so a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it more than Orient Beach, the vendors on that beach were atrocious. The second picture here is of a ship coming in to dock, I thought that was pretty neat so I bet kids would too!

020_zps3h2m7hgx.jpg

021_zpscwr3ma4j.jpg

022_zps7hfbav8h.jpg

023_zpsh7kr4t97.jpg

Edited by moesyk4

moesyk4, thanks for the pictures! The beach actually looks pretty nice. It'll be our first beach so even compared with other Caribbean sites, at least it'll be first stop (although you commented you weren't impressed with Orient)

I went last year with my daughter and for her it was fine for a few hours. We just walked as it is a pretty easy walk and there are shops along the way. There was some trash in the sand but nothing horrible, just sit on towel or chair. The walk back was a little uncomfortable for my daughter as we didn't see a place to shower off but there may be a shower there that we didn't see. I did have a local come up and ask if I wanted illegal substances but as soon as I said no he left and never saw him again. All in all for a free beach to walk to with limited time it was good. We did that and a quick bus tour in the time we had.

• 1 month later...
We'll be in Nassau for a short time (7am - 2pm...but practical time would be more like 9am - 12:30pm). So we're looking for something to do with our kids for just a couple hours. They will be 10.5 and 6.5 when we go and my younger one doesn't swim on her own (i.e. she's taking lessons but currently can't swim on her own).

We were thinking of just doing Junkanoo Beach and seeing the shops along the way, but I keep reading bad things about this beach (rocky, glass, dirty).

Is there a beach near by that is nicer but where the water isn't too rough (i.e. I've heard that Cabbage beach is pretty but rougher waters)? I know you can get day passes at resorts such as Melia or BCH but I don't want to spend a lot for a few hours plus, we live in Canada so a beach is more of a novelty than a swimming pool.

If we were in port for full the day, then we'd consider the Atlantis but too expensive for just a few hours and the water park doesn't even open until 10am. One excursion I would consider is Blue Lagoon BUT it's currently not offered on our cruise.

So any suggestions? Any good beaches not too far that's good for kids?

Did you end up walking to Junkanoo beach? Just curious cause we on the Disney Wonder this nov and with a short port time of 7-12pm that is exactly what were thinking of doing with our 6 and 9 year olds, walking to Junkanoo Beach checking out shops along the way, enjoy the beach for a couple hrs and head back to the ship! Just curious if you went and how you liked it, was the walk safe and ok for kids, was the beach dirty and glassy like I keep reading about? Any restrooms near by?Thanks

Did you end up walking to Junkanoo beach? Just curious cause we on the Disney Wonder this nov and with a short port time of 7-12pm that is exactly what were thinking of doing with our 6 and 9 year olds, walking to Junkanoo Beach checking out shops along the way, enjoy the beach for a couple hrs and head back to the ship! Just curious if you went and how you liked it, was the walk safe and ok for kids, was the beach dirty and glassy like I keep reading about? Any restrooms near by?Thanks

We're not cruising until April 2016, so you can report back to me. ;)

For the time you'll be in port (even less than us), it seems like a good option. We're now considering between doing this and Blue Lagoon as the excursion just got added to our cruise.

Maybe someone else can answer your question.

Let us know what you decide. Enjoy your cruise!

We're not cruising until April 2016, so you can report back to me. ;)

For the time you'll be in port (even less than us), it seems like a good option. We're now considering between doing this and Blue Lagoon as the excursion just got added to our cruise.

Maybe someone else can answer your question.

Let us know what you decide. Enjoy your cruise!

I'll keep ya posted!! We're going with this option of a carriage ride with some time at that beach for a bit or the Seaworld Explorer Semi-submarine tour maybe!