How did you hear about Cruise Critic?

I "Googled" cruise forums. Looks like I joined in 2002, but I think it was a couple of years earlier as I lost my postings and went back to zero - I think Cruise Critic had changed format or IT upgrade around that time.

Have mainly used this site for all my cruising information.

Someone mentioned CC to me on the cherry blossom cruise in 2010,

I was still very new to computers at the time, so tended to lurk for

at least 2 years. I usually check this sight every couple of days unless

I am away cruising.:D:D

TripAdvisor. I don't think they had a cruises forum five years ago, instead you were referred to Cruise Critic.

Cheers

Rosie

The TA cruise forum has been around since August 2006 Rosie. Its just that when the company that bought out TA and CC did so - the Cruise forum link on TA was changed to link straight to CC (which was how I compulsorily discovered CC whether I wanted to or not!). But the actual TA cruise forum still exists and has plenty of friendly regulars.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.html

Hi everyone

I'm curious how you all found Cruise Critic for the first time -- and how long ago was it?

Did you join in this AU/NZ board immediately or lurk for months or years?

All you lurkers out there, this is also your chance to post for the first time :)

Thanks!

Louise

From another cruise web site:)

I only found this site recently (via Google) when we were looking to book our first cruise. Had never heard of it before but likely that is because we weren't cruising. I like to read up all I can about a destination before I go so I think I found it searching for info on the South Pacific ports. Now every time I hear the ad on TV for a certain European river cruise and it says something about being voted top river cruise by Cruise Critic I smile.

I needed to ask too many questions to just lurk. [emoji5]️

Edited by RayWitt001

Guest zafra63

By exploring the Diamond Princess, noticed a lot of people in Skywalkers, they were discussing private tours in Bali. We started to talk to people, joined up when we came home, and we have never looked back. Fantastic website, we have made lots of friends and have enjoyed great private tours in various parts of the world. You just have to talk to people and listen to their advice. 15 cruises later, love Cruise Critic.

Through friends who were also booked on the 2010 RWC on the Dawn.

Found the rollcall a great source of info in planning and meeting up with others. Took a while to discover the Aus /NZ message board though.

Have no desire to go on FB.:)

• 1 month later...

I usually check out the Aus/NZ part first, then Royal Caribbean, then Celebrity, several times a week. Sometimes I will look at reviews and other topic sections.

I have learnt so much, and and I really love some of the picture heavy review posts.

I totally blame this site for the number of cruises I have booked currently. The specials that get mentioned are just too tempting!

• 3 weeks later...
So do you ONLY use these forums/boards now, or do you sometimes wander around the homepage or the news or reviews or other features?

Most of the time I hang around in this forum and on the P&O Australia forum.

But once in a while I do go for a wander to different forums (and come back here very quickly in some cases! ;)) and to go the different sections of Cruise Critic (Like News, Roll Calls, Photo Gallery etc..)

I mainly read and contribute to the Australia & NZ Cruisers board but sometimes I throw my 2c worth in on the Royal Caribbean board. Most of the time though on there, I'll take my popcorn and watch (read) the Americans get their knickers in a twist!! ... Hmmm my bad!! lol

However I do love reading the really good photo heavy, full of info reviews. Love the ones that make you feel like you're there too, particularly good if you dont have a current cruise booked/planned!

Edited by tillydog

DH's work colleague cruised on the Diamond Princess Christmas 2009 and raved about it so we decided to investigate cruising on her as our previous cruise was 1996!

Since then I had become a more regular wheelchair user which changed to dynamics of the exercise. I did a lot of research on the Diamond regarding cabins and in the process came across CC in 2010. Immediately joined the forums. Have had two wonderful cruises thanks to the great people on the Roll Calls!

Booked again for this Christmas and sadly the Roll Call is extremely quiet:confused: I thought fb might have taken over but not so.

I tend to read the forum of the current line we are booked on followed by Aust/NZ Cruisers and Disabled Cruisers.

Hi everyone

I'm curious how you all found Cruise Critic for the first time -- and how long ago was it?

Did you join in this AU/NZ board immediately or lurk for months or years?

All you lurkers out there, this is also your chance to post for the first time :)

Thanks!

Louise

Googled cruise vacations. Joined straight away.

After booking our first cruise 3 months ago, I then decided maybe I should do some research about our ship and the destination (yes I definitely did that backwards) and so Cruise Critic came up on google. And then looking around Cruise Critic I found the forum page and then this page. This page has been great for asking questions or getting my fix. As I am the organizer for this cruise I'm very excited on the new things I discover but sadly my family isn't..

Found Cruise Critic when googling reviews of different cruiselines. I first thought the forums seemed to cater more for overseas cruisers with different interests, so I was really happy to find a forum for Australian cruisers that I could relate to. The one negative in is that you are asked for your date of birth when joining. This is unnessary, when online privacy is so important. I would like that requirement to be dropped when signing up.