What to do at Port Canaveral

Having found out that we will have 7 to 8 hours off the ship at the Port, thanks to all you guys here at cruise critic, what is there to do? I have done some research, not exhaustive by any means, but from what I've seen it is a long ride to anything beyond Port Canaveral. Please advise. I'm sure if there is nothing really exciting to do we will be just fine enjoying the amenities onboard. As always thanks in advance to all you cruise-aholics for any and all help you can bestow upon us.:D

The one time I went there I did the Kennedy Space Center and I had a great time. Of course I had wanted to visit the place since I was a little kid watching Walter Cronkite on black and white TV so maybe I'm a bit prejudiced in that regard. I did the deluxe tour as I remember, but I don't really remember what the perks were as it was back in 2011. Bring your camera and have fun! :)

Kennedy Space Center is the best bet for the time allotted and distance from the port. I've done it twice. The second time I took my son. Of course if you have no interest in the space program, it would be pretty boring. I think Port Canaveral is an awful stop. If I ever go again I would just use that day to stay on the ship and enjoy the low crowds.

Hi there! Disney, Universal and Seaworld are over an hour each way (especially with traffic), so you are pretty rushed there. We rented a car which was a huge pain since there isn't much right there on the little island (which you can't walk off off, since it's only a hightway and no sidewalks). The taxi line was also impossibly long. We ended up renting a car anyways and heading to Kennedy Space Center which wasn't crowded at all and worth the trip.

The Port Canaveral/GSC/Nassau itinerary might be the worst that NCL offers. Of course there is always the old adage that it's still better than being at work. :D

Funny you should say that. My spouse and I did this itinerary several years ago on the Jewel out of NY, and it was pretty underwhelming as you say. (Still, always great to be on a cruise ship, wherever it is going! :) )

This spring, we had family members sailing with us out of NY, including our 7-year-old niece, the first time for all of them on a cruise ship, and this was the itinerary that worked best for us (on the Gem this time), so my spouse and I did it again. We had a wonderful time being together with our family, rented a small cabana on GSC (which made for a fun day), loved KSC, and walked around the downtown historic area in Nassau, and had a wonderful lunch there. The ship was fun, and it was a great week away. I agree, not the best itinerary, but we made the best of it!

The Port Canaveral/GSC/Nassau itinerary might be the worst that NCL offers. Of course there is always the old adage that it's still better than being at work. :D

I don't think it's a terrible itinerary to do once. The problem is that those of us that live in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast that want to drive to port seem to get stuck with it a lot. It isn't just NCL. Carnival has one that is even worse, Port Canaveral/Nassau/Freeport. If you've never been to Freeport you might wake up and look out your window and think pirates hijacked the ship overnight.

Think we are going with Cocoa Beach since this will be our first time there (as well as GSC).

We love the beach. From the pix I saw online it looks a lot like the Jersey Shore with some nice waves.

The long pier with all the shops and bars looks ok.

I'm happy just being on a ship at sea :) :)

For me I would stay on the ship, or you could go to Kennedy Space Center. I have been there so don't need to go back. It is great though.

I don't think there is enough time to do any of the parks in the Orlando area without feeling rushed and missing a lot.

Have been wondering why so many ships stop there for such a limited period of time.

First time..did space center...really liked it...other 2 cruises....stayed onboard..enjoyed watching the ship loading supplies...it actually was very interesting...quite a process....