50% off deposit sale going on now.

Is there any advantage to the 50% reduced deposit other than, if you book ES and have to cancel, you only lose half as much deposit as you would have otherwise? I understand someone may be a little cash-strapped at the time of booking so a 50% reduction might be timely but ultimately you have to pay the balance anyway (which includes the 50% of the deposit you didn't pay at the time the reservation was made).

Just tried to book a cruise just to check the deposit. The cruise was only 800 total and the deposit was $400 so, I don't get it. I even selected early saver.

Edited by lindyf

Thought this would be posted but never saw it anywhere. Just giving heads up.

Jimmy - Thanks for Posting! I haven't been checking our Jan 2017 cruise as it's so far out, but got $50 back on this sale. Thanks, Ken

Just tried to book a cruise just to check the deposit. The cruise was only 800 total and the deposit was $400 so, I don't get it. I even selected early saver.

What is the sailing date?

As far as advantage goes I agree. You still have a larger balance when final payment comes. But you risk less if you back out and you aren't tying up as much of your money if you book several months or a year out. Plus you are guaranteed lowest rate.

Is there any advantage to the 50% reduced deposit other than, if you book ES and have to cancel, you only lose half as much deposit as you would have otherwise? I understand someone may be a little cash-strapped at the time of booking so a 50% reduction might be timely but ultimately you have to pay the balance anyway (which includes the 50% of the deposit you didn't pay at the time the reservation was made).

Exactly...and the cruise that I'm considering increased in price by 2%...so, now I'm waiting for the "sale" to end and hope the price goes back down.

As far as advantage goes I agree. You still have a larger balance when final payment comes. But you risk less if you back out and you aren't tying up as much of your money if you book several months or a year out. Plus you are guaranteed lowest rate.

Thought so.... just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks Jimmy!

Exactly...and the cruise that I'm considering increased in price by 2%...so, now I'm waiting for the "sale" to end and hope the price goes back down.

If you book now and then the price goes down you will get the lower price. If you book early saver. If you wait then you have full deposit.

I almost never book ES so my deposits are 0% at risk until final payment.

I just don't see the appeal with reduced deposits. Yes, I realize I'm giving Carnival my money earlier than absolutely necessary (and I even get to give them double deposits when solo).

But for my 11-night Sunshine Journeys sailing, final payment will be <$200 (had to put down $800 deposit!!).

My thinking is if I can't afford the deposit, I probably can't afford the cruise. :p

If you book now and then the price goes down you will get the lower price. If you book early saver. If you wait then you have full deposit.

Thanks Jimmy...that's true but I don't even want to risk 50% of my deposit by booking ES...I think I will book past guest or senior rate instead...ES has too many stipulations for me.

No real advantage..

But when there is a 50% off deposit sail and I can book non ES .I book 4 future cruises that way I can get the cabin and close to the date I want.

Example I'm looking at booking the Sunshine New England fall cruise 2016

I will book 4 different dates and get the cabin I want for $1000 vs $2000

At my job (union shop) vacation is bid by seniority and the bidding for 2016 doesn't start till Dec 2015

So when I find out what the actual date is I cancel the other 3 cruises. Usually just have them transfer the money to the one I booked.

Being non ES I can get all my money back pretty quick if a need arises.

Then after I'm sure of the date I make my booking ES

No real advantage..

But when there is a 50% off deposit sail and I can book non ES .I book 4 future cruises that way I can get the cabin and close to the date I want.

Example I'm looking at booking the Sunshine New England fall cruise 2016

I will book 4 different dates and get the cabin I want for $1000 vs $2000

At my job (union shop) vacation is bid by seniority and the bidding for 2016 doesn't start till Dec 2015

So when I find out what the actual date is I cancel the other 3 cruises. Usually just have them transfer the money to the one I booked.

Being non ES I can get all my money back pretty quick if a need arises.

Then after I'm sure of the date I make my booking ES

Just curious since I've never used ES and I'm not even sure this question is ES-related: what if the price of the one you choose had gone up substantially between initial booking and when you transfer your other deposit dollars to it and "make my booking ES?" Aren't you essentially re-booking the one you picked at ES but at the now higher price? Or does Carnival allow you to switch fares types like that without re-booking at the current price?

Edited by joepeka

The scrolling add seems to have a difference for VIFP club members. It says something about best available upgrades for members vs. only 2 category upgrade for non-members, but after doing two separate mock bookings, I cant tell the difference. Anyone know?

Just curious since I've never used ES and I'm not even sure this question is ES-related: what if the price of the one you choose had gone up substantially between initial booking and when you transfer your other deposit dollars to it and "make my booking ES?" Aren't you essentially re-booking the one you picked at ES but at the now higher price? Or does Carnival allow you to switch fares types like that without re-booking at the current price?

I don't always book Es

If the price was higher for es I would just stay put with the Cat I booked under.

You are correct, If I would switch I would be rebooking and fall under the terms at that time.

ps this current 50% off sale is ES only so it's a no go for me at this time. I will keep watching.

Edited by Bases5

There are no real benefits, just a reduced what you have to pay now. That being said, we are a family of 4. I use 50% reduced deposits to book our back to backs, so I can book both at once and make sure we are in the same room both weeks. Normally I would have to do 1 at a time since the normal deposit for us is about $1000. But then I run the risk of having to move from 1 week to the next. This helps with that. We also make periodic payments before final payment date and spread it out, we don't just pay it all on one day. Too much at once.

Pretty sure that if you file for a price drop, you have to pay the full deposit if that is what's required for the new price.

Pretty sure that if you file for a price drop, you have to pay the full deposit if that is what's required for the new price.

You don't have to pay the full deposit to get a price drop on ES. At least we have never had to. It doesn't really make sense to require an extra $500 to reduce our rate by $20 when it drops, IMO.

You don't have to pay the full deposit to get a price drop on ES. At least we have never had to. It doesn't really make sense to require an extra $500 to reduce our rate by $20 when it drops, IMO.

They made us. We had to pay the other $150 of our deposit to get a $50 price drop. Seemed absurd, but they said if we didn't within 24 hours they'd cancel the booking. YMMV, of course.

They made us. We had to pay the other $150 of our deposit to get a $50 price drop. Seemed absurd, but they said if we didn't within 24 hours they'd cancel the booking. YMMV, of course.

That does seem absurd. We booked on reduced deposits and never had to pay the rest! Well I mean, we did eventually, for final payment, but not to get a price drop. We book through a TA, so maybe it's part of their contract or something? I Really don't know. I hope it's not just a policy change because we have reduced deposit bookings now and I want my price drops lol