Princess turnaround in Whittier

piper28

Pondering doing a rental car or something in Whittier since we're doing a back to back. Any ideas on when non-tour passengers can get off the ship (small ship, so I don't expect it'll be too late), and with an 8:30pm sailing time, any idea when we need to be back on board by? Oddly, itinerary doesn't seem to say anything about boarding.

Pondering doing a rental car or something in Whittier since we're doing a back to back. Any ideas on when non-tour passengers can get off the ship (small ship, so I don't expect it'll be too late), and with an 8:30pm sailing time, any idea when we need to be back on board by? Oddly, itinerary doesn't seem to say anything about boarding.

The first cruise tours usually leave around 7:30AM . The new passengers start arriving around 3:30PM

People doing a B2B can get off we they want and re board when they want. All aboard is usually around 7:30PM.

Edited by Kamloops50

We love Whittier as the turn-around day. We book the small-boat tour that gets you closer to glaciers and have been lucky with lots of critter sightings. (It's a double-hull cat so not tiny boats, but much more intimate than a cruise ship) Typically we'll do the Phillips 26 Glacier tour which lets us hang out on the ship for the morning or wander the dock, but next year are thinking of trying Major Marine as an alternative. Enjoy your B2B!

We are the same southbound cruise! Hopefully we will meet! I am getting so excited I can hardly contain myself. :D We are doing a 7 day land tour beginning on the 12th and then sail on the 20th.

Edited by DentoAlaska

There is not much to do in Whittier so make sure you have plans already made. I've done the small boat tours with both companies and don't really have a preference. The 26 Glacier boat is bigger but has ample deck space to find a good viewing spot. There is a small museum in Whittier that is a nice stop if you have some time.

I've booked the bus into Anchorage for time "on your own" 4 times but 3 times its been cancelled because of not enough passengers. Last month I was on the Pacific Princess and only 7 of us signed up. The rental car might be a good option if you can spread the cost among a few people.

Be sure and be out on deck after sail away from Whittier, IMHO this is some of the best scenery on the cruise. I usually spend 3 hours our so out on deck, it can be spectacular in the twilight. Most people just seem to go to bed early as they are tired for tours/travel etc and miss some great viewing.

the Harbor Store, where Avis is, opens at 8am, so you could be out the tunnel at 9am. You would go back through the tunnel by 6:30p.

A lot of time to have some nice plans.

Get that reservation NOW, if sailing this year, and you don't have it yet. Just cancel if you change your mind.

I agree with BQ, reserve an Avis car and go for a drive, albeit the rental is not cheap. I was off the ship early, got the car at the Harbour Store, picked up Dudette at the terminal and was waiting in line for the 9 am opening of the tunnel. Its and easy drive to Anchorage, lots to see along the way and a ton of interesting things to see in do in Anchorage itself. The Alaska Native Heritage Center is a must see.

http://www.alaskanative.net/

With a car there are a few different scenic drives available to you as a day trip out of Whittier. These 2 drives are within 50 miles of Whittier and offer gold panning, Alyeska tram, Wildlife Conservation Center, Potters Marsh platforms for bird viewing, Williwaw salmon viewing platforms, ranger led walks at Portage Lake/Glacier Visitor Center, and more:

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Be mindful of the tunnel hours of operation as it is only open once per hour in each direction. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/index.shtml

Thanks folks. The timing was about what I figured, and should allow us enough time to do some exploring. The rental car cost isn't too bad for what it is, cheaper than Skagway at least.

Kinda annoying that it's Avis everywhere, if they were National locations it'd be a lot cheaper for me :).

You might want to check the toll fee for the tunnel. I believe that the guide on our bus from Whittier to Anchorage said the fee to use the tunnel was more than $100. The railroad not highway dept controls the tunnel.

$12. Toll info is in the link I posted earlier.