Prayers for the MS Westerdam

bearbait

Thousands upon thousands have flown out to the Misty's on these excurisons without incident. This is just one of those risks that those us that live in Alaska take often. I've survived one crash and numerous hard landings. My prayers are for all those that are involved.

This is incredibly sad - my prayers are for those on that flight and their families, along with those traveling with them. We have a flight seeing excursion (different company) scheduled for Misty Fjords for next May - I was already a little scared and now I am not sure I can get on that plane.

My brother who is an executive pilot for a private company has always warned me that there is little to no - regulations of these types of operations and to be wary of private small air craft including helicopters where maintenance is not regulated. We were in Hawaii when a copter when down killing all on board. I'm going to have to re-consider our plans carefully.

This is incredibly sad - my prayers are for those on that flight and their families, along with those traveling with them. We have a flight seeing excursion (different company) scheduled for Misty Fjords for next May - I was already a little scared and now I am not sure I can get on that plane.

My brother who is an executive pilot for a private company has always warned me that there is little to no - regulations of these types of operations and to be wary of private small air craft including helicopters where maintenance is not regulated. We were in Hawaii when a copter when down killing all on board. I'm going to have to re-consider our plans carefully.

Now is not the time to lay blame but your brother has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. These flightseeing outfits are heavily regulated by the FAA. They go through all of the same FAA inspections and certifications that the big airlines do. The FAA has a very active presence in Alaska. I'd have no qualms about flying with ProMech or anyother operator today, tomorrow or next week.

Now is not the time to lay blame but your brother has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. These flightseeing outfits are heavily regulated by the FAA. They go through all of the same FAA inspections and certifications that the big airlines do. The FAA has a very active presence in Alaska. I'd have no qualms about flying with ProMech or anyother operator today, tomorrow or next week.

Well, maybe not ProMech...it sounds like they have a spotty safety record:

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/plane-missing-in-alaska-with-nine-on-board/

How extremely sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to the families how have lost relatives. As a person who has lived on the coast and spent a lot of time on and around small aircraft both on floats and wheels I have been holding my breath for a long time hopping I would never have to read about something like this. I know nothing about ProMech but know the Otter and the smaller Beaver to be extremely safe aircraft.

Edited by Putterdude

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/plane-missing-in-alaska-with-nine-on-board/

I was about to post the same thing. Spotty record and HAL is well aware of it. Sad. :(

Info on previous tragic crash

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20050301&slug=huskyfans01m#_ga=1.158725565.649440225.1396810866

Edited by Lerin

Well I guess you could argue so does Malaysian Air, Germanwings and SWA seems to have trouble finding the right airport. Sadly bad things do happen and sometimes twice to the same airline....does that make them less safe....personally I don't think so.

I was about to post the same thing. Spotty record and HAL is well aware of it. Sad. :(

Info on previous tragic crash

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20050301&slug=huskyfans01m#_ga=1.158725565.649440225.1396810866

Good grief!! You didn't even read the article you linked to. The flightseeing company in the article you linked is NOT ProMech air. Good lord, before you hurl accusations like that know what you are talking about.

Unfortunately, all are dead....lots of people fly on excursions. We who live here do it more frequently than just about anyone else....that said, if I am flying with someone I don't know, I want to know just how many hours in ticket he has.....and I ask....and if I don't like the answer, I don't go. My husband is a pilot, my friends are pilots....I believe that about 1/5 people here have a license...like car drivers, not are all safe....Misty fjords is a gorgeous trip and I would fly there....but me thinks it is like flying through Lake Clark pass....and those on here who know what this is, knows what I am talking about....I feel heartfully sorry for the families and for the cruiseline....Until the FAA comes with a determination....which can take a long time...no one can say whether there was something wrong with the plane? or pilot error? (which covers a heck of a lot of stuff)....or just plain overloaded....Very sad, no matter what....

How extremely sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to the families how have lost relatives. As a person who has lived on the coast and spent a lot of time on and around small aircraft both on floats and wheels I have been holding my breath for a long time hopping I would never have to read about something like this. I know nothing about ProMech but know the Otter and the smaller Beaver to be extremely safe aircraft.

I may be mistaken.....but I think a similar incident happened a couple of years ago....can't remember the company, and it really doesn't matter....but this is not the first time..

I may be mistaken.....but I think a similar incident happened a couple of years ago....can't remember the company, and it really doesn't matter....but this is not the first time..

Yes, there was and there were injuries but no fatalities...thank heaven. I believe the operator was ProMech, unfortunately.

My heart goes out to the families of those who perished. I personally choose very carefully which company I fly with. I always go independent and in Ketchikan, I feel most safe with Michelle of Island Wings. She owns the company and is the only pilot. She has been making that flight forever.

My son is visiting here with his girlfriend and just two weeks ago we went to Talkeetna for a Denali fly around and glacier landing. There was a crash landing where two planes hit each other the day before we flew. The pilot for Talkeetna Air Taxi ran into a student pilot who landed in front of him. They collided 100 ft in the air and no one was hurt. I didn't think twice about putting my son and his girlfriend on the flight the next day. I know the company and my philosophy always has been, when your number is up, your number is up.

We just finished a cruise last week with our son and his girlfreind. They did the Dogsled helicopter flight.

I pray for the families of the people on that flight. .

Good grief!! You didn't even read the article you linked to. The flightseeing company in the article you linked is NOT ProMech air. Good lord, before you hurl accusations like that know what you are talking about.

The flight seeing company wasn't the same, but the point I think the OP was showing was the lack of responsibility in using a reputable company for shore/air excursions. It was disturbing to read the article in regards to how Holland America Cruise Lines continued to use a company with deplorable safety records, countless complaints from passengers and crew all in the name of the mighty dollar.

I wasn't a cruiser back then so this was news to me. I always chose ship endorsed excursions believing they were thoroughly investigated to be safe etc. But this has opened my eyes.

I don't know the history of this Promech charter, but a company operating thousands of flights over its 30 year history with I believe is 3 incidents is understandable.

I am hesitant to sail with HAL in light of the above mentioned article.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those lost in this tragedy and their loved ones.

Edited by Lulubelle45

My heart goes out to the families of those who perished. I personally choose very carefully which company I fly with. I always go independent and in Ketchikan, I feel most safe with Michelle of Island Wings. She owns the company and is the only pilot. She has been making that flight forever.

My son is visiting here with his girlfriend and just two weeks ago we went to Talkeetna for a Denali fly around and glacier landing. There was a crash landing where two planes hit each other the day before we flew. The pilot for Talkeetna Air Taxi ran into a student pilot who landed in front of him. They collided 100 ft in the air and no one was hurt. I didn't think twice about putting my son and his girlfriend on the flight the next day. I know the company and my philosophy always has been, when your number is up, your number is up.

We just finished a cruise last week with our son and his girlfreind. They did the Dogsled helicopter flight.

I pray for the families of the people on that flight. .

It is Michelle of Island Wings (highly recommended) that we are booked with for May - and we also have the helicopter, glacier, dog sled flight scheduled through the ship at another port. With a brother that makes his living as a pilot and a BIL who owns several airplanes for his pleasure - I know things can and do go wrong - there is risk in everything. Load capacity is an issue and is why I had to register our body weights when we booked with Island Wings. I will not be canceling any excursions at the moment but will be doing further checking into the helicopter company for sure for their safety record.

Yes, there was and there were injuries but no fatalities...thank heaven. I believe the operator was ProMech, unfortunately.

I posted this on the Princess thread. The previous accident that I remember was with the company Seawind:

---------

I remember another accident that happened years ago out of Ketchikan. I don't remember if it was ship sponsored or private. Though, it really doesn't matter. Sad regardless.

Edited to add:

Here is an article from 2007: http://www.katu.com/news/local/9224126.html

Edited by Coral