Places to eat somewhat near Matanuska Glacier?

moonbeams558

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places to eat along this route? Especially close to Matanuska? We need to get a dinner in either on our way to the glacier or nearby the glacier, and we will need to get lunch on the way back from Matanuska to Anchorage the next day. We are going on a glacier trek that ends at 1:30, so will probably be pretty hungry after and want something closer to the glacier than to anchorage. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance - there are always wonderful suggestions on this forum!

We had really nice lunch at Long Rifle Lodge at mile post 102.2 from ANC. Great views and food. Ak prices. At about 200 yds past entrance to glacier when coming from ANC. If not on time crunch take your own cramp-ons (ones with about 1/2" spikes not the great big 1' spikes) from ebay and do more of on your own exploring after your tour. In 2014 we had nice dinner at Noisy Goose right on Glenn Hwy in Palmer.

Also look into 20 mile one way detour to Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine on the way to or from Glacier. Try to go when they are open unlike what our schedule allowed us to do.

I've eaten at Long Rifle Lodge and it was good. It's closest to the glacier. A little further up the highway is the cafe at the Grandview RV Park. I haven't eaten there yet, but I hear great things about it.

If you are going through Palmer around a meal time, there's plenty of places there to eat.

There is the Eureka lodge up a bit from the glacier... Very local place...still has refillable all you can drink coffe for 25 or 50 cents....good hamburgers...we'll know for its pies....also there is sheep mt lodge that has good home cooking......sheep is owned by an Iditarod musher and his wife....who also finished Iditarod....well loved place....