Just off Caribbean Princess - Fjords of Norway & North Cape...ask any questions

bassmaster150

Could someone tell me if there is a proper hairdryer in the cupboard by the dressing table - with a nozzle? Not one of those useless ones on the wall in the bathroom! I can bring my own but just want to save space.

Thanks

Monica

No they don't always..the harbour master ...decides...in Flam it happened on the day , the other ship was ahead of us in the fjords and so got given the berth and it's happens to us in other ports over the years...sometimes the day before..

Of course! By in advance I mean up to and including arrival.

Could someone tell me if there is a proper hairdryer in the cupboard by the dressing table - with a nozzle? Not one of those useless ones on the wall in the bathroom! I can bring my own but just want to save space.

Thanks

Monica

I don't believe they are the nozzle type. I think they are the ones on the wall with the large opening. Not in the bathroom in reg cabins but near the desk/mirror.

The only place I have seen them in the drawer is the Regal/Royal.

Putting my problems with Princess to one side. I have some stunning photo's of the trip and was amazed at the many shades of green in Norway. It was a strange sensation having daylight for 24 hours of the day. During one night we left just a small gap in the cabins curtains and at 2.30 am the sun was shining thru like a search light.

I think we were very lucky with the weather with only a few showers of rain.

Anyone going that far north for a cruise should take the advice already given. It can get very cold indeed.

Thanks

Monica

The hair dryers are inset into the wall by the mirror over the desk. I thought it worked fine, and have decided not to take a travel hair dryer in the future.

The hair dryers are inset into the wall by the mirror over the desk. I thought it worked fine, and have decided not to take a travel hair dryer in the future.

I thought the hair dryer was fine but I have short hair.They have finally fixed them so you don't have to hold the button down to keep it running.

Putting my problems with Princess to one side. I have some stunning photo's of the trip and was amazed at the many shades of green in Norway. It was a strange sensation having daylight for 24 hours of the day. During one night we left just a small gap in the cabins curtains and at 2.30 am the sun was shining thru like a search light.

I think we were very lucky with the weather with only a few showers of rain.

Anyone going that far north for a cruise should take the advice already given. It can get very cold indeed.

I agree...there were many shades of green, white (snow), and black (granite). Would have liked a few more blue skies, but it is a trip we will never forget. Having cruised Europe many times, I will say that from now on when anyone asks me where to cruise in Europe first, I will tell them the Fjords of Norway...we used to say the Med because of all of the famous sites (Rome, Florence, Amalfi, etc).....but now it will be Norway hands down...must be the most beautiful place in the world. Speaking of the weather...we were blessed with it we must admit!!

Thanks

Monica

So they have a hair dryer attached to the wall by the dressing table in the mini-suites....not sure how useful compared to one with a nozzle, but it did work for my wife.

• 2 weeks later...
Just disembarked the Caribbean Princess this morning in Southampton, UK. We sailed the 15 day North Cape and Summer Solstice cruise (Fjords of Norway including the North Cape). I can answer any questions that you have about the ship, ports of call, excursions, etc. We are in London right now and I will be in bed soon with an early morning flight tomorrow (Sunday, June 28) which will have me out of pocket for a while as I travel back.

All in all, the cruise was life altering.....Norway is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and even though we did quite a bit of research before going on the trip, there was nothing that could quite prepare us for what we actually saw on this cruise.

Ask away if you ave questions.

Hi! I have a question about your excursion in Bergen. You did the ships tour of the funicular and hike. We are thinking of doing just the funicular on our own...walking to the funicular and back to the ship. We are scheduled to arrive in Bergen at 7am and leave at 2 pm, so all things considered, do you think that would be comfortably doable?

Your thoughts most appreciated!

MaryLou in California

Hi! I have a question about your excursion in Bergen. You did the ships tour of the funicular and hike. We are thinking of doing just the funicular on our own...walking to the funicular and back to the ship. We are scheduled to arrive in Bergen at 7am and leave at 2 pm, so all things considered, do you think that would be comfortably doable?

MaryLou in California

I would suggest that you get off the ship asap, yes you should be able to do the funicular but the queues for it can be very long, so get there as soon as you can, you may not be the only ship in that day. also, sorry to be negative but Bergen is often wet (Up to 300 wet days a year) so I would have a second choice just in case.

Happy Cruising:):)

We too were surprised that Trondheim was a tender port, But I have to say "Tokyo" in our cabin on the first day there was an itinerary of the cruise showing that Andalsnes, Trondheim and Gravdal were tender ports. Also you could cancel any excursion up to two days before it was due to take place. So I don't think you will get very far with Princess, But I hope you do.

John:)

I would suggest that you get off the ship asap, yes you should be able to do the funicular but the queues for it can be very long, so get there as soon as you can, you may not be the only ship in that day. also, sorry to be negative but Bergen is often wet (Up to 300 wet days a year) so I would have a second choice just in case.

That's really helpful...thanks!:)

MaryLou in California

Yes, it is doable......take the shuttle that Princess has which drops you into the city center...but mind the queues, and pay attention to your time as our stay in Bergen was rather short.

Yes,

Take rain gear as it rains alot

We were also on this cruise. At Bergen we were waiting at the entrance to the gangway as soon as the ship docked. We were among the first 20 or so to leave, got the first shuttle to the centre and walked quickly to the funicular. We had worked out online how to get our tickets from the machine quickly, so easily got on the 8 o'clock funicular with no queue.

It was rather cloudy and rained on and off (the only rain of our whole cruise) but we got some very good views, then went back and had a good wander around the Bryggen and the fish market before getting back to the ship in heaps of time.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by konyagiqueen

Will be doing this cruise in June, 2016 and have a question for anyone that remembers. Which ports are doable on your own and would provide enough interesting things without doing a pricey tour from Princess? Thanks in advance and thanks so much to the OP for a great informative review.

Judy from SW

Florida

We are on the Regal TA in September. We dock in Bergen in the industrial area somewhat out of the main part of town. Does anyone know if Princess provides a shuttle into town where the HOHO buses are? Thank you.

Princess did supply a shuttle that dropped off at the park in town. It was about a 5 to 6 block walk to the harbor and fish market from the drop off point.. We had a very short port day there so I don't really know where the HoHo bus was. Bergen is a beautiful city.

• 5 weeks later...

Newbie Cruiser Alert!

We are on Emerald Princess in August 2016 on this exact itinerary and I would love to hear of people's experiences in doing each port with no excursions. It will be so costly for all four of us to do too many, so would love to hear which stops are doable by oneself and which stops are not. We love nature and walking, so are not afraid of a bit of a hike.

We are a family of four - the children will be 16 and 13. :)

Newbie Cruiser Alert!

We are on Emerald Princess in August 2016 on this exact itinerary and I would love to hear of people's experiences in doing each port with no excursions. It will be so costly for all four of us to do too many, so would love to hear which stops are doable by oneself and which stops are not. We love nature and walking, so are not afraid of a bit of a hike.

We are a family of four - the children will be 16 and 13. :)

Coopersmile, you will learn a lot about independent tour options available in each port by joining the roll call for your Emerald Princess cruise. To get started, here is the link to our the roll call for our Norwegian cruise on the Caribbean Princess:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2018995

Enjoy your cruise!

Off to Norwegian Fjords on Saturday on Caribbean Princess. When I booked this cruise, smoking was allowed on balconies, so I thought my brother could puff away happily without any problems. Now I have a problem as my brother is quite a bit older than me and not super-mobile, due to arthritis, (SIL has same problem). Their cabin in on Riviera deck, forward. How far will BB (big brother) have to go for the closest smoking area? I would be very grateful if someone can let me know - thanks.