Butchart Gardens and Downtown in 5 hours?

Hello - we will be in Victoria Saturday September 12th and would like to spend a little time downtown looking at the Empress and Legislative buildings, do a little souvenir shopping and then tour Butchart Gardens until it is time to leave.

We will only be in port from 7pm - midnight though. And the cost to stay and spend more time in Victoria is just not part of our budget. :(

Do you think this is feasible? Or should we choose one main attraction?

Unless you want to take a cab out to the gardens at a cost of at least $50 each way then the short answer is no. The gardens are a full 35 mins plus in either direction and you will want to have at least 2 hrs there. You will likely have to be back on the ship by 11:30 pm so I would choose one thing and do it.

Gardens close at 9 on September 12

http://www.butchartgardens.com/visit/hours

Here's a link from the Empress Hotel website that may give you some ideas on how to spend your time.

http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/activities-services/destination-guide/sightseeing/

The gardens do remain open for a full hour after the gates close for admission.

Thank you for your suggestions. It will be a hard choice to make!!! - I'm regretting not booking a ship that was at port longer.

Putterdude - Thank you for mentioning that they are open 1 hour after gates closed. I just confirmed that on their website, so if we decide to go to Butchart Gardens at least we will have a little more time than i was thinking.

I'll just add, with these 7 pm Victoria arrivals you could be 7:30 before the ship is cleared and you are off the ship. With this, it is very hard to suggest that you tour the gardens any way other than with a ship's tour.... I know the price is outrageous but its better than missing the ship.

I'll just add, with these 7 pm Victoria arrivals you could be 7:30 before the ship is cleared and you are off the ship. With this, it is very hard to suggest that you tour the gardens any way other than with a ship's tour.... I know the price is outrageous but its better than missing the ship.

Completely agreed. When we stopped in Victoria it was actually close to an hour later when we got the "all clear", due to the high number of International travelers (so they said).

OP, I feel a 5 hour port stop is really pushing it to see the gardens. However, if you must indeed do this (and they will still be lovely in September and the weather is usually nice then), I also recommend a ship's excursion.

There are many threads here on this board with suggestions of things to do in Victoria besides the gardens, should you choose not to do that. :)

Thank you for the additional information! If we end up going to Butchart Gardens we will def go through the ship. Usually we DIY - but with such a short period in port i agree that we should not chance it.

This will be such a difficult decision! Luckily there are so many other things to do, i'm sure we will be able to fill our time :)