Float Plane Protocol and Anan Creek

CStorm

Does anyone know what the protocol is for Anan Creek. We are flying with Island Wings. If I'm correct Michelle flies us to Anan Creek, drops us off for a few hours and then flies back to get us. What happens if the weather is awesome when she drops us off but it's bad when it's time to get us? How do we get back? Are we stuck there? Does she risk safety to come get us? (I seriously doubt this is the option) Since the crash, I'm starting to panic... :(

There will be Forest Service interpreters on site with their housing and an excellent communication system. You will not be left alone standing in the rain. Wrangell (evil arch enemy of Petersburg, 30 miles to the north) is 45 minutes away by boat if the cloud ceiling is on the water and the planes can't fly. Wrangell (cough, cough) has charter boat and aircraft and receives two Alaska Air jets per day.

You should really contact your operator about contingency plans. It beats standing alone out in the rain saying "but the free information i got on the internet said...."

As already mentioned, you need to get this information direct. But I suspect, some people will be changing plans due to this recent incident. There is no way to predict the future and no guarantees in life.

Why are you "panicking"? That is what you need to address first, I will suspect, because no matter what you are "told", is it going to be enough? Once you are flying- that is it, you can't leave and time will stand still. I've flow several times with people who never should have stepped foot on plane.

As already mentioned, you need to get this information direct. But I suspect, some people will be changing plans due to this recent incident. There is no way to predict the future and no guarantees in life.

Why are you "panicking"? That is what you need to address first, I will suspect, because no matter what you are "told", is it going to be enough? Once you are flying- that is it, you can't leave and time will stand still. I've flow several times with people who never should have stepped foot on plane.

I'm panicking because it just dawned on me that she may not be able to get back to us because of the weather. Just wondering if this has happened to someone else and what they did. I'm not panicking over getting on the plane. Just don't want to get stuck there. If it's my turn to get off the train, I'm getting off is my philosophy and there's nothing I can do about it.

I'm panicking because it just dawned on me that she may not be able to get back to us because of the weather. Just wondering if this has happened to someone else and what they did. I'm not panicking over getting on the plane. Just don't want to get stuck there. If it's my turn to get off the train, I'm getting off is my philosophy and there's nothing I can do about it.
There is always a possibility of not getting back the way that was originally planned, wherever one travels.

Reliable tour operators have contingency backup plans.

If concerned, when booking any commercial tour instead of panicking it is sensible to consult your tour operator, as bottom-dragger suggests.

Then you can make your own decision in advance about whether or not that would be an acceptable fallback alternative to you.

Of course there is a slight "chance", something happens and you aren't picked up on schedule. Same comment applies above. Will "you should be just fine" being told to you be enough? You claim to have it all figured out if you die- then- being late for a pick up and missing your ship- should perhaps, be a piece of cake. :)

She'll be right out there waiting for you. All most all of the flightseeing operators that fly out of Ketchikan to Anan stay in the area. They do not fly back to Ketchikan while you are at Anan. It costs too much in fuel to do that. If you're stuck she'll be stuck and then you'll both be stuck together.

She'll be right out there waiting for you. All most all of the flightseeing operators that fly out of Ketchikan to Anan stay in the area. They do not fly back to Ketchikan while you are at Anan. It costs too much in fuel to do that. If you're stuck she'll be stuck and then you'll both be stuck together.

Thanks Bearbait! I emailed Island Wings but haven't heard back from them. I know they are very busy this time of the year. I know it's crazy but I feel better knowing she's going to be there.

When I flew to Anan last year with Island Wings, Michele dropped us off with a guide who had a gun. I believe she flew somewhere since we waited a few minutes for the plane to land after the excursion. You should contact them directly though. One of my favorite excursions.

Wrangell (cough, cough) has charter boat and aircraft and receives two Alaska Air jets per day.

[\QUOTE]

You got to be kidding me...two jets a day in Wrangell ..... what a change in 50 years.:D

I once flew by jet from Petersburg to Wrangle by jet. The flight time is 24 minutes. I figure that the max altitude we reached was maybe 1000 feet.

DON

Thanks Bearbait! I emailed Island Wings but haven't heard back from them. I know they are very busy this time of the year. I know it's crazy but I feel better knowing she's going to be there.

Have you called them? Calling is usually much easier and the response is much quicker than using e-mail.

DON

Have you called them? Calling is usually much easier and the response is much quicker than using e-mail.

DON

I'm going to call them today when I get off work. With the time difference, someone should still be there. I will let you know what they say.

I spoke with Shona, who helps Michelle at Island Wings. It is confirmed that Michelle is our pilot. Michelle does leave and come back. She also has a degree in Meteorology. Shona said in 23 years they've never had to leave someone behind. She also assured me they err on the side of caution, I told her I was confident that was the case. Worse case scenario, they have to cancel our excursion. If they do, I told her it would just be a good reason to come back!

Now... what to pack ;).

Happy Cruising!

Please report back after your trip. I'm going on this in Auguat and would love to hear how it goes.

I will issue a full trip report when we return. I usually write daily so I don't forget the details.

Wrangell (cough, cough) has charter boat and aircraft and receives two Alaska Air jets per day.

[\QUOTE]

You got to be kidding me...two jets a day in Wrangell ..... what a change in 50 years.:D

they even have at least one flush toilet ............................

you ought to sail the traditional inside passage between petersburg and wrangell again like you used to. but maybe not, the wrangell narrows is still a thrilling route but it's now you're never out of sight of a house.

• 4 weeks later...

Six days ago, July 20, we had an excursion to Anan Creek with Island Wings. We'd made reservations a year in advance. The weather was questionable and they contacted us that morning to say they would make a decision about whether it would be possible to go or not at 11:45am. They picked us up at 11:50am and hadn't made the decision yet. By the time we boarded the plane, we had asked 5-6 times if we were going to be able to go to Anan Creek, or not. They had not made the decision. After we were boarded, they said they would make the decision once in the air. Instead of going to Anan Creek, we were taken to Traitors Cove. Exciting float plane ride; Michelle, Shona, and Tim were all wonderful; beautiful scenery; but no salmon, thus no bears. Also, Traitors Cove only has black bears whereas Anan Creek has brown and black bears. We've since learned that salmon don't spawn at Traitors Cove until the beginning of August. We appreciate the weather advisory about Anan Creek and the safety factor that was considered, but we would have liked to have had the option to cancel due to weather rather than go to a place where the likelihood of seeing bears was happenstance, at best. No other tour operators had started using Traitors Cove yet. We loved Island Wings and would use them again but wish we had been given clear options as related to the weather and the location of our bear watching excursion. It was a very expensive lesson about doing your homework and getting answers before you get on the plane. Looking forward to hearing how things work out for everyone else! :-)

Six days ago, July 20, we had an excursion to Anan Creek with Island Wings. We'd made reservations a year in advance. The weather was questionable and they contacted us that morning to say they would make a decision about whether it would be possible to go or not at 11:45am. They picked us up at 11:50am and hadn't made the decision yet. By the time we boarded the plane, we had asked 5-6 times if we were going to be able to go to Anan Creek, or not. They had not made the decision. After we were boarded, they said they would make the decision once in the air. Instead of going to Anan Creek, we were taken to Traitors Cove. Exciting float plane ride; Michelle, Shona, and Tim were all wonderful; beautiful scenery; but no salmon, thus no bears. Also, Traitors Cove only has black bears whereas Anan Creek has brown and black bears. We've since learned that salmon don't spawn at Traitors Cove until the beginning of August. We appreciate the weather advisory about Anan Creek and the safety factor that was considered, but we would have liked to have had the option to cancel due to weather rather than go to a place where the likelihood of seeing bears was happenstance, at best. No other tour operators had started using Traitors Cove yet. We loved Island Wings and would use them again but wish we had been given clear options as related to the weather and the location of our bear watching excursion. It was a very expensive lesson about doing your homework and getting answers before you get on the plane. Looking forward to hearing how things work out for everyone else! :-)

I'm sorry to hear that your excursion did not work out as planned. Have you spoken with Michelle about your disappointment and your feelings about having options when the excursion that you signed up for and paid for was not viable?

I have to say, I was given an option to cancel with Michelle, prior to an Anan flight. It must have been a very tight decision to make in your case.

Have you looked at a map? Traitors is in a different direction as well compared to Anan. That also is a very nice flight route. But- your information is totally accurate. Actually it is mostly blacks seen at Anan, with browns going there less and less as the season progresses. You are coming to the end of Anan, so likely was not a good chance for any browns.